My Video Synthesis Experiments

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., daverj

unexpectedbowtie
Veteran Wiggler

Re: My Video Synthesis Experiments

Post by unexpectedbowtie »

Some pictures from the above festival set I mentioned.

My setup was an HDMI media player which split videos to a WAAAVE Pool and a 3trinsrgb+1c, which then went into separate channels in my Edirol v4. I had an internal feedback link and a wee crappy car reversal camera as well for the other channels. Output went to an AV to HDMI box.
unexpectedbowtie
Veteran Wiggler

A couple of other bits and pieces from the Festival. The first is a backstage vlog thing:

and the second is footage from one of the other tracks:

unexpectedbowtie
Veteran Wiggler

A few updates...

The first is a video with a Polyend Tracker jam, where I used the 3TrinsRGB+1c and a wee car reversal camera:

and the second, where I ran the Dirtywave M8 through an Andrei Jay Waaave Pool.

and then a vlog about making some glitchy visuals using some bits and bobs:

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 »

Super-cool, bowtie guy! Stage set-up looks really great! I like the boxy-planar-rectilinear thing you've got going up there. I'm starting to build a DJ-ish kind of system myself. Could you perhaps show more pictures of your set-up? I've been buying Roland SD gear on eBay (LVS-800, V-4VX). The LVS was a steal! Which video-switcher is that? I just picked up a Roland P-20HD which I'm very excited to get. Which media-player do you use/
unexpectedbowtie
Veteran Wiggler

studio460 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:55 pm Super-cool, bowtie guy! Stage set-up looks really great! I like the boxy-planar-rectilinear thing you've got going up there. I'm starting to build a DJ-ish kind of system myself. Could you perhaps show more pictures of your set-up? I've been buying Roland SD gear on eBay (LVS-800, V-4VX). The LVS was a steal! Which video-switcher is that? I just picked up a Roland P-20HD which I'm very excited to get. Which media-player do you use/
Sure! For video mixing/switching I've got an Edirol v4 as my main one. I do have a few other older bits and bobs though that I mostly bend as they aren't SMD. I probably have a bit too much gear to fit it all in one picture... but I'll gladly take shots of some other bits and pieces if you are curious about anything in particular! I'm glad you're in the US so we aren't competing on ebay haha.
bitSmasher
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bitSmasher »

What camera are you using for the gig vlog?
studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 »

unexpectedbowtie wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:54 am Sure! For video mixing/switching I've got an Edirol v4 as my main one. I do have a few other older bits and bobs though that I mostly bend as they aren't SMD. I probably have a bit too much gear to fit it all in one picture... but I'll gladly take shots of some other bits and pieces if you are curious about anything in particular! I'm glad you're in the US so we aren't competing on ebay haha.
Haha! Yeah, that's good! I just bought about every Sony VCR I could find on there! I plan on using a Roland P-20HD for play-out, but I just found out it doesn't loop its clips (the Blackmagic HyperDeck does). It's still stuck in B+H's holiday-backlog so I won't get the P-20HD until next week.

I'm finding play-out from multiple sources to be the bottleneck; hence the VCRs. Just watched your Cathodemer video—very informative—thanks! I have Lumen and will install Cathodemer this weekend on a high-spec laptop I got recently to run my NLE (Vegas).

I just shot a quick video of two monitors playing back two old video clips I shot (airplanes and cop cars), and the mere juxtaposition had another visual aesthetic that I quite liked. So now I'm hell-bent on multiple playback-sources. Are you playing clips from computers or do you have dedicated playback-devices? Or is everything just generated live?
unexpectedbowtie
Veteran Wiggler

bitSmasher wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:09 am What camera are you using for the gig vlog?
That's a GoPro Hero 9. :)
unexpectedbowtie
Veteran Wiggler

studio460 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:28 pm Are you playing clips from computers or do you have dedicated playback-devices? Or is everything just generated live?
At home I often just play clips from my Mac, but live (or when I cba with a computer), I use cheap HDMI/AV media players from China. You can get them for about £15 if you look around. There's also this MIDI triggered thing that I'm curious about... https://www.yetimidi.com/
unexpectedbowtie
Veteran Wiggler

I circuit bent a video mixer recently - the first successful one I've done. So, I put together a walkthrough video on the process, to hopefully help inspire other folks who are interested in doing similar.

unexpectedbowtie
Veteran Wiggler

My latest... music from the Polyend Tracker. Visuals were a collab with Cats Full of Ghosts, who have an awesome YouTube channel:

Kent
Curator/Janitor/Zookeeper

Post by Kent »

Would love to collaborate with you during November! I mentioned on your YT channel that I really enjoy and appreciate the content and work that you are putting up here, on MW. Love it!

I just posted my first video synth efforts over here in the 4U section, where the early video previews were put down.

Take a gander and let's see if, together, we can cook up something fun!
unexpectedbowtie
Veteran Wiggler

Kent wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:26 am Would love to collaborate with you during November! I mentioned on your YT channel that I really enjoy and appreciate the content and work that you are putting up here, on MW. Love it!

I just posted my first video synth efforts over here in the 4U section, where the early video previews were put down.

Take a gander and let's see if, together, we can cook up something fun!
Hey Kent! Thanks a lot. Love your visuals. I'll drop you a DM :)
unexpectedbowtie
Veteran Wiggler

My latest: A Squid Game remix, with glitched up video from the show. Spoiler alert, so don't watch if you haven't seen it.

I ran this through my own circuit bent Vivanco VCR 3024.
unexpectedbowtie
Veteran Wiggler

The latest experiment:

The second collab with Cat Full of Ghosts. They created the visual assets which I then tortured using a Melted Electronics Strange Loop. The music was written on the Polyend Tracker.
unexpectedbowtie
Veteran Wiggler

Another visual feast. This time I used a combination of CRT/camera feedback, and some of Andrei Jay's Pi based effects software.

unexpectedbowtie
Veteran Wiggler

About five or six months ago I ordered an Opti-Glitch from Tachyon+. It took a while for him to put together, but it arrived from the US to the UK a few days ago and it is really very nice indeed. Here is the first video I made using it. The output was recorded with a composite capture card.

Kent
Curator/Janitor/Zookeeper

Post by Kent »

Nice! I owe you an email.
unexpectedbowtie
Veteran Wiggler

My latest experiment:

Music from the Dirtywave M8. Visuals are video feedback shot using a CRT.
unexpectedbowtie
Veteran Wiggler

My latest efforts.

Music is from the Dirtywave M8. Visuals were re-scanned from a CRT, which was displaying video run through a Tachyon+ Opti-Glitch.
unexpectedbowtie
Veteran Wiggler

Here is my latest. Same setup as the last one. Music on the Dirtywave M8. Visuals re-scanned on an old 10" cube CRT TV :)

unexpectedbowtie
Veteran Wiggler

My latest video dealio. A rig rundown of my sorta fixed video processing area:

unexpectedbowtie
Veteran Wiggler

Another circuit bent device:

annnd another track, this one made with MisMatcher:

unexpectedbowtie
Veteran Wiggler

Next efforts. Glitchy footage placed onto a green screen to accompany some music I made. The footage was run through an Edirol v4 for feedback, and then a Mezkalin Neon Widow.

Return to “Video Synthesis”