Improvised techno anyone?

Live patching, designs, and techniques that push the performance envelope.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Improvised techno anyone?

Post by Tumulishroomaroom »

paranormind wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:31 am Yaay this is really nice congrats! Love the groove.
How did you generate the main bassline we can hear from the start? And how is it sequenced?
Gonna give it another listen :hail:
Thank you :)
The first sounds you hear are all coming from the Alphabase, sequenced internally. It's probably a tom or snare sample I tweaked to death.
instagram
dc11 x Resilience 1h live stream of improvised deep techno.
Youtube : long-form module demos
dc11 - Pulse Outputs 5 tracks ep on Unknown Movement
vefjvexen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vefjvexen »

blackbetty88 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:54 am Giddy up!! Great work mate!
Can you please confirm the sequencer you are using at the bottom of all your gear?
Cheers
I used the Winter Modular Eloquencer. I'm using the MUTE BIN cv option to change de mutes of many channels at once using the Tetrapad. This trick makes transitions much more easier to do and is pretty essential to how the patch works ; much more than the other particularities of the Eloquencer.
Jlevine711
Common Wiggler

Post by Jlevine711 »

vefjvexen wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:45 pm Hey everyone!
Here is a little techno jam session I did yesterday. Would love to know what you think

This is great! How are you doing the side-chaining?
Electronic musician based in Houston, TX.

Original Music: https://soundcloud.com/htxedifice

DJ Mixes: www.mixcloud.com/htxedifice/

Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/htxedifice/
Jlevine711
Common Wiggler

Post by Jlevine711 »

Here is a 20-minute performance I did last week. Feedback and thoughts appreciated. Thank you!
Electronic musician based in Houston, TX.

Original Music: https://soundcloud.com/htxedifice

DJ Mixes: www.mixcloud.com/htxedifice/

Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/htxedifice/
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Back I June I got the opportunity to film a live stream in an abandoned warehouse; it's finally out today ! This is 1h of 100% improvised modular deep techno, with the help of the Jomox Alphabase :

instagram
BJeT
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BJeT »

*** Real nice!

The sound you've got going there would seriously cave peoples' heads in at 6am with a really educated crowd in a sweaty club.

Nice one.

DubplateDerek wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:07 am
Tumulishroomaroom wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:26 pm Here's my live-set for new york modular society which aired yesterday. I had prepared a few things but all my plans were done in five minutes so the rest is mostly improvisation. It helps that the DFAM is one big sweet spot, and that I can always lean on the Verbos Multi Delay for atmospherics :)

This was really excellent Lucas. I really like your style. I said once before about hearing hints of Dozzy and I can here it again in this. Good work :sb:
eb00
Common Wiggler

Post by eb00 »

Tumulishroomaroom wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:37 pm Back I June I got the opportunity to film a live stream in an abandoned warehouse; it's finally out today ! This is 1h of 100% improvised modular deep techno, with the help of the Jomox Alphabase :

This is a great set. Nice work and thanks for sharing!
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

eb00 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:49 am This is a great set. Nice work and thanks for sharing!
Thank you !
BJeT wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:04 am *** Real nice!

The sound you've got going there would seriously cave peoples' heads in at 6am with a really educated crowd in a sweaty club.
Hoping to be able to do that soon :)
instagram
eb00
Common Wiggler

Post by eb00 »

Tumulishroomaroom wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:11 pm
eb00 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:49 am This is a great set. Nice work and thanks for sharing!
Thank you !
No prob!

Would you ever consider doing a post that describes how you send everything to the mixer? It looks like you're going to a Mackie VLZ? And some send fx?

Are you side chaining your kick at all? or using the mixers built in EQ per channel? I'm currently working on trying to get a live techno setup together that is basically Digitakt and a couple Euro racks, not that different than what you're doing. I'm finding sometimes as the layers get built up I'm getting very muddy. Curious how you kept it sounding so nice together.
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

I've filmed a big video on how I prepared the live set i'll put it up shortly.

The mixer was a rent, they guys asked me what i wanted and I asked for a 16 channel mixer with at least two sends. I think it was a 1604VLZ indeed. I used like 5-6 inputs for individual instruments of the Alphabase and 2 stereo inputs for the modular. I didn't really use the Mixer EQ; since I never used the mixer before I didn't really know how they sounded. I probably just cut a little bass for the reverb return and maybe the same thing on one channel from the modular where I knew there shouldn't be too much bass content. I do my best when I practice or produce to have things sitting in their audio space as much as possible before hitting the DAW (or mixer in that case). So I'm using filters mostly to cut frequencies. Of course I always EQ some stuff but not drastically. I have a little Shakmat Hipass that can be very handy for this.

I'm not sidechaining anything but the whole mix was going through the Overstayer and the compressor in there was reacting to the kick so it was king of sidechaining everything and glueing everything together. I'd say some distortion/comp/eq on the master helps a lot to make things cohesive.
instagram
eb00
Common Wiggler

Post by eb00 »

That's great info, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to seeing that prep video.

All of that sounds pretty solid and well thought out.
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

I uploaded the "behind the scenes/how to" video about the above live set, hopefully it gives a few insights :

instagram
eb00
Common Wiggler

Post by eb00 »

Tumulishroomaroom wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:22 am I uploaded the "behind the scenes/how to" video about the above live set, hopefully it gives a few insights :
This is fantastic. Thank you for sharing. Those Verbose modules look really fun and flexible. Great stuff and nicely done. Please keep posting more when you can!
Babbuc49
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Babbuc49 »

here's my humble attempt with my newly assembled rack, I'd love some feedback since I'm pretty new to eurorack, unfortunately there's a synching problem with the video (probably because I recorded audio at 44.1kHz?)
Ushijima
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Ushijima »

No video this time but here is my last live set mainly modular sounds and Anlog Rytm as my drum machine.
At first meant to be recorded on stage but had issues at the party so finally I recorded it again back at home, hope you enjoy :)

Artaos
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Artaos »

Ushijima wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:38 pm No video this time but here is my last live set mainly modular sounds and Anlog Rytm as my drum machine.
At first meant to be recorded on stage but had issues at the party so finally I recorded it again back at home, hope you enjoy :)

wow.
bmot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bmot »

Ushijima wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:38 pm No video this time but here is my last live set mainly modular sounds and Anlog Rytm as my drum machine.

Fantastic stuff Ushijima, thanks for sharing. Must have been a great party!
Ushijima
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Ushijima »

Thanks :) yeah great party with good PA, lots of fun to play there
zuggamasta
Learning to Wiggle

Post by zuggamasta »

After recording this jam I wondered if I went too fast. But now that I listend to it front to back a few times I'm really happy with it. All done one the 6U Rack :)

I also added a link to the modular grid page in case someones interested.
brunomolteni
Learning to Wiggle

Post by brunomolteni »

Here's some improvised Techno I recorded for NYE:

papercutnoise
Ultra Wiggler

Post by papercutnoise »

Been listening to Konapt a lot recently. All these videos are improvised and are well worth checking out imho!

Good Transactions with: Pfurmel, Parallel Worlds (x2), Miditerranean, Ping Panic (x2), Soy Sos, jenamu6, READYdot, Poladark, Synesthesia, audioCTRL, dansna, Glitchmachines, RealDudes, wavecircle, msh

Return to “Play Out! Performance Modulars”