My eurorack MFOS 16 step sequencer

Discussion & Documentation for Ray Wilson's synths, modules and noise boxes.

Moderators: Kent, dslocum, synthcube

romain
Learning to Wiggle

My eurorack MFOS 16 step sequencer

Post by romain »

Hello World !

As I think I'm still a noobie in DIY (started just two years ago without any single knowledge in electronics), I'm very proud to share you my project that I started one year ago and finished just yesterday : the MFOS 16 step sequencer in eurorack version.

I'm also very proud because I thought I would never be able to make a thing like that !

This took me a long time because I wanted to do both panel and PCB myself and I also wanted sliders. And because of the sliders, the panel wasn't really a piece of cake, like really not at all ! :goo:
I had to be very patient and survive frustration of missing the first try.

But this is it, my baby is working very well, it is my first sequencer and it's rocking. I realize now how this kind of modules is essential in a modular system, I already had so much of fun with it :loves:

I will not talk too much and finish my post with some pictures, but I just wanted to thank and throwing a lot of love to Ray Wilson, whatever where he is now. Nothing would have been possible without him and what he left us

johnstilton
Common Wiggler

Re: My eurorack MFOS 16 step sequencer

Post by johnstilton »

This is inspirational. I have a set of these PCBs and have been thinking about how to implement a build on a 4U 17"x7 panel.
Grumble
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Grumble »

Very nice build! Wiring must have been a pain.... 😁👍🏻
Krachluigi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Krachluigi »

how did you get those fader holes "drilled"? looks really great!
Building the pcb myself at the moment and your build is inspiring!
romain
Learning to Wiggle

Post by romain »

Thanks !
Yeah, it took me a long time to think how to make those sliders slots.
As you can see on pictures, I used my proxxon micro drill as a milling machine. I think it could work on any Dremel similar product (but I really like Proxxon). I made holes at the top and bottom of each slider footprint but I actually now think that it is not necessary.
The most important thing is to triple check the position of the mill at the bottom and at the top.
Once it's ready, you have to be very gentle pushing down the mill on the panel or you will have a very bad result.
It's a very long process but very worth it if you are patient
Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless »

:yay: :tu:

That is a fantastic build. Well done!
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

MODE COM1:96,N,7,2,P
romain
Learning to Wiggle

Post by romain »

Adding a quantizer is really cool
My first module no DIY :party:

Rob Kam
Common Wiggler

Post by Rob Kam »

Superb piece of work! Thanks for sharing.

If you had to do this again, is there anything about it that you would do differently?
johnstilton
Common Wiggler

Post by johnstilton »

I would also like to know if you would be able to share your BOM, if you have it in an easily sharable format.
jonnyjupiter
Common Wiggler

Post by jonnyjupiter »

That is an awesome module - congrats!
What sliders did you use? The dance of the LEDs probably made the whole effort worthwhile.
romain
Learning to Wiggle

Post by romain »

Thank you all for your messages
If you had to do this again, is there anything about it that you would do differently?
I think now it's better to have a tighter group of sliders to easily and quickly set a full random sequence. The 9MM pots for fine tune don't allow to put sliders closer next to each other if I want to solder them on the same board than I have put sliders. I think 9MM panel mount pots could be a solution.
If I make a new panel, I think I'll go this way.

But with a panel with less HPs, I think it would be necessary to use smaller and more expensive rotary switches and replace 16MM pots by 9MM.
Or using smaller sliders to optimise the vertical space.

I think I would also update my panel design and put this action step selector next to the SEQ MODE section and put those command push button on the left.
And fix this command buttons serigraphy problem.
I would also like to know if you would be able to share your BOM, if you have it in an easily sharable format.
What sliders did you use? The dance of the LEDs probably made the whole effort worthwhile.
Yes exactly :) I think I stayed 10 minutes just looking at this. Because of the extra dense wiring mess and a home made prototype board circuit, I wasn't very sure that everything would work immediatly. I admit it was quite a joy ;)

The only exotic thing that I used in this MFOS 16 step sequencer was the sliders.
I bought them for a nice price on Mouser (28 euros for 18 sliders) : https://www.mouser.fr/ProductDetail/652 ... 15R1-104B2

So I don't have any BOM, I just used the BOM on MFOS website.

Here is the push buttons that I selected in this project : https://www.mouser.fr/ProductDetail/633-SB4011NOHC
JCHaywire
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JCHaywire »

As I embark upon this build--yeah, your post is inspirational. I have two 10-slot slider pot panels from an EQ. This looks right up my alley to imitate some of your ideas. Thanks!

Jonathan in Seattle
If you can't do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

Return to “Music From Outer Space”