Voting open for your top 3 tracks in our Odd Meter Remix/ReMangle/Reimagine Challenge

Prizes generously donated by:
ADDAC System (Eurorack 3U)
Endorphin.es (Eurorack 3U)
Fred's Lab (DIY Paraphonic Synth)
Northern Light Modular (Buchla-format h-series OR Eurorack3U)
Rattly and Raw (Wiggler Approved Kontakt Instrument)
Studio.h (Buchla-format 4U)

Get your vote on and free 42 minute modular playlist for your listening pleasure.

Klavis - Quadigy - Quad Envelope Generator

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

j616s
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Klavis - Quadigy - Quad Envelope Generator

Post by j616s » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:40 pm

The LEDs on the faders also stay off until you pick up control of the param. So it's easy to see if touching a fader is going to do something.

Jee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jee » Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:44 pm

Not willing to be a party killer but for live use it might get troublesome in my opinion. I like the behavior as it is in the studio for its accuracy and convenience but you’ll need to « reset » the slider position to reach the current value, on potentially the 4 sliders which is far to be as immediate as we would need in live use. And also be careful not to slide it « too far » in order to prevent a too drastic drift. Kind of clumsy for live…
The CV / user pot workaround can help but it’s not ideal neither.
All that said it’s not impossible to use it live but requires attention, some accuracy and good eyes with the small sized screen.
Probably not my first choice for live use… (except in polyphonic mode where all envelopes have the same settings, then it’s actually pretty cool because no jump possible and the sliders are more handy than potentiometers)

fxxxxx
Common Wiggler

Post by fxxxxx » Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:01 pm

The cv/knob control are great for drastic changes.
The way the sliders work are great for subtle changes.

Module already has the best of both worlds.

Zentek
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zentek » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:45 am

Decdog wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:08 am
Have been eyeing this little guy! One thing I noticed from the manual is that the behaviour of sliders is that no change happens until the slider passes the saved state of whatever parameter you are editing. On some of my synths (Minilogue, Minitaur) there is a 'scaled' mode (they call it different things) where basically any movement of the knob/slider as you move it will result in an audible change. This is really great when performing live, if you are switching between different patches on your unit, and you want to know that your tweaking will result in something.
The concept seems attractive, however it has its limits.
When coming back to a parameter (A) that was set halfway, after another parameter change (B) put the slider full down; how do you now apply a decrease of the setting (A) since you would have to push the slider down??
I don't see how that could be solved. :hmm:
How is that scenario handled on the Moog machines you mention?
Any chance of getting this through a firmware update at some point? maybe at least for the 'Live' setting? (where maybe processing power is more available?)
The answer so far is "dunno" ;)
There seems to be a conceptual issue.
Klavis
Fine Modular Designs

Zentek
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zentek » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:06 am

Jee wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:44 pm
I like the behavior as it is in the studio for its accuracy and convenience but you’ll need to « reset » the slider position to reach the current value, on potentially the 4 sliders which is far to be as immediate as we would need in live use. And also be careful not to slide it « too far » in order to prevent a too drastic drift. Kind of clumsy for live…
With a default setting of 30 seconds per envelope phase, being precise for short timings and avoid sudden jumps when the slider "catches" the current value is indeed not ideal.
This is why, where other EGs have a switch for duration ranges, the Quadigy has a Global Time setting. 8-)
This acts as the aforementioned switch, except that it is continuous (and per envelope/per preset).
It goes from 0% to 800% (100% being the 30sec max); so practically, the maximum duration for the 5 time setting (Hold, Attack, etc) can be adjusted between instant and 240 sec.
If for example you design some short percussive sound, you can limit the Global Time to 10%, to match the duration of the longest segment(s) needed (here: Decay and Release).
You will then have your sliders offering 3 seconds over their entire travel.
This way, slightly jumping over a previous setting when moving the slider will not destroy your setting as if GT was at 100%. :tu:
In conclusion, to ease you life, think of adjusting Global Time first to fit the purpose. ;)
Klavis
Fine Modular Designs

Karl_Joseph
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Karl_Joseph » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:44 am

Zentek wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:06 am
Jee wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:44 pm
I like the behavior as it is in the studio for its accuracy and convenience but you’ll need to « reset » the slider position to reach the current value, on potentially the 4 sliders which is far to be as immediate as we would need in live use. And also be careful not to slide it « too far » in order to prevent a too drastic drift. Kind of clumsy for live…
With a default setting of 30 seconds per envelope phase, being precise for short timings and avoid sudden jumps when the slider "catches" the current value is indeed not ideal.
This is why, where other EGs have a switch for duration ranges, the Quadigy has a Global Time setting. 8-)
This acts as the aforementioned switch, except that it is continuous (and per envelope/per preset).
It goes from 0% to 800% (100% being the 30sec max); so practically, the maximum duration for the 5 time setting (Hold, Attack, etc) can be adjusted between instant and 240 sec.
If for example you design some short percussive sound, you can limit the Global Time to 10%, to match the duration of the longest segment(s) needed (here: Decay and Release).
You will then have your sliders offering 3 seconds over their entire travel.
This way, slightly jumping over a previous setting when moving the slider will not destroy your setting as if GT was at 100%. :tu:
In conclusion, to ease you life, think of adjusting Global Time first to fit the purpose. ;)
Fantastic advice. I just tried adjusting the GT to 25% and I am blown away by the super tight pizzicato sounds I am getting. Thanks for the tip!
- KARL

Zentek
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zentek » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:35 am

Firmware update 1.23 is now available. :party:
It brings a couple of fixes and subtle improvements.

You'll find it on the Klavis Quadigy page
Hold pressing the Preset and CV buttons while switching on the case.
Play the audio file into CV input A and that's it!

Thank to Rainer for the feedback :tu:
Klavis
Fine Modular Designs

Nutritional Zero
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Nutritional Zero » Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:30 pm

I just got one of these and I’m pretty fucking impressed. One of the best user interfaces I’ve come across in a digital module with a screen and menu system.

The feature set/firmware is just perfect. Absolutely perfect. Every feature solves a musical problem, nothing is wasted.

sir stony
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sir stony » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:35 am

There's one more feature I would love to see: locking the interface, like with the Twin Waves. Suggestion: just press and hold any two envelope selection buttons for a second to lock all controls except the User modulation pot, and you can't mess your settings anymore by a dangling loop of cable or fat fingers.
I admit that this locking feature has become second nature using my Twin Waves. Not that I'm a clumsy guy, but it keeps me from changing something without thinking twice, which is essential while aiming for a specific sound design. Some of these sounds totally fail to work when a modulation frequency only changed by 0.5Hz. And envelope settings can be nearly equally sensitive.

Zentek
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zentek » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:15 am

sir stony wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:35 am
There's one more feature I would love to see: locking the interface, like with the Twin Waves. Suggestion: just press and hold any two envelope selection buttons for a second to lock all controls except the User modulation pot, and you can't mess your settings anymore by a dangling loop of cable or fat fingers.
I admit that this locking feature has become second nature using my Twin Waves. Not that I'm a clumsy guy, but it keeps me from changing something without thinking twice, which is essential while aiming for a specific sound design. Some of these sounds totally fail to work when a modulation frequency only changed by 0.5Hz. And envelope settings can be nearly equally sensitive.
Thank you for the idea of locking for the Quadigy which makes sense.
Unfortunately, it cannot be done as in the Twin Waves; on the Quadigy the system of holding several envelope selection buttons at once is used to perform parallel editing to all selected. There would be no way to differentiate the two type of actions...
We'll see if there's another way to implement that function without messing with the current user interface.
Klavis
Fine Modular Designs

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”