Klavis - CalTrans

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

sir stony
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Klavis - CalTrans

Post by sir stony » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:54 pm

Just updated, and tried the neutral calibration routine. Is it normal behaviour that after running this routine, it doesn't accept any button press anymore until it had a power cycle? Seems odd to me. Maybe I'll re-flash the update although it seemed to have worked correctly the first time.

Zentek
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zentek » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:15 am

sir stony wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:54 pm
Just updated, and tried the neutral calibration routine. Is it normal behaviour that after running this routine, it doesn't accept any button press anymore until it had a power cycle? Seems odd to me. Maybe I'll re-flash the update although it seemed to have worked correctly the first time.
I guess that you forgot disconnecting the input jack(s) after calibration is done. :hmm:
I know: you were too happy seeing the green LED coming up and did not read the last point of the procedure :hihi:
Thank you for using Klavis modules :spin:
Klavis
Fine Modular Designs

sir stony
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sir stony » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:07 pm

Appears you're right. I disconnected the output instead. :doh:
Next time I try new features I'm going to be a bit more awake. Promise. ;)

PWMT
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PWMT » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:39 am

Is there a reason, why the CalTrans only accepts voltages between zero and seven volts? I usually sequence with my Endorphines Shuttle Control which is fixed to 1 v/oct: C-2 to C8 (10 octaves, -5V...+5V). C3 central note corresponds to 0V. I tried to find a workaround, but no luck yet. I know there is not really a standard but I also checked my Arturia Keystep (which I actually never use) and figured that a C3 is tuned to 5V.

Is it possible to make an update so I can basically tune the the input to what ever I need? Am I the only customer who is bothered by this issue? (Yes, I should have read the manual before buying hehe) I read the whole thread, nothing mentioned yet.

Thank in advance!

desolationjones
Veteran Wiggler

Post by desolationjones » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:45 am

Sounds like you may need a voltage offset for your sequence. This can be as easy as feeding your sequence and another positive CV into a unity mixer, or as fancy as using a dedicated offset module.

Or just tune your sequence to be higher than 0V and tune your oscillators down to compensate. Five octaves should be plenty, usually.

PWMT
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PWMT » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:56 am

Thank you for the hint! I really like the idea (and of course it works), but I only see it as a temporary solution. Because I would always need two to four cv offsets, depending on what idea I have. An update with an inbuilt cv offset for the input would be nice. I mean it's the same thing I do with the output, when I lift an VCO one octave. But of course an update is only possible, if the electronic component can read bipolar cv signals.

Tomorrow Sounds Good
Common Wiggler

Post by Tomorrow Sounds Good » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:15 am

mgdigital
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mgdigital » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:21 am

Received my CalTrans today, after some experimentation I can see this unique and easy-to-use module will be useful on a daily basis and eliminate what has been quite a frustration of tuning various unruly oscillators. This relatively obscure little module should be on more people's radars!

I can't resist a feature suggestion (sorry!) Is there any prospect in a future update of allowing on-the-fly calibration? What I mean by this is, I don't think I'd realized from the demo videos that if you already have tunes playing on various channels, and you want to add an oscillator on a new channel, then output is disabled on all channels while the calibration takes place. If it were possible to keep these going during calibration, then I believe it would turn this module from a useful tool requiring a little initial setup and premeditation, to a truly killer live improvisation aid.

Also +1 for allowing channels to act as a transpose offset/adder. Am successfully using my WMD SSM for this purpose but would be great to free that up for other duties.

I appreciate the sentiment not to overload this little module with too many features, but these seem like obvious improvements to the current functionality that could work without harming usability of current/core features.

Anyway, I mainly wanted to come on here to say (after reading the "Klavis needs you" leaflet) what a great module this is, thanks!

muffdiver
Common Wiggler

Post by muffdiver » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:50 am

Yeah, this is a must have for anyone interested in doing anything musical with their modular setup.
---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,

---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:21 am

muffdiver wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:50 am
Yeah, this is a must have for anyone interested in doing anything musical with their modular setup.
Haha, really? :D I like my CalTrans too but it sure was an option even before the CalTrans came out to make music with any eurorack setup. I guess you are joking and I’m taking your comment too seriously?
I made this techno remix of an ambient/downtempo track. 🧉

mgdigital
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mgdigital » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:26 am

A little more feedback after further testing - for some reason I'm unable to calibrate my Piston Honda, I just get an instant red light, even when set to sine wave. I expect this is a peculiarity or perhaps slightly slower response of the PH as I can calibrate everything else.

Zentek
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zentek » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:40 am

mgdigital wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:26 am
A little more feedback after further testing - for some reason I'm unable to calibrate my Piston Honda, I just get an instant red light, even when set to sine wave. I expect this is a peculiarity or perhaps slightly slower response of the PH as I can calibrate everything else.
What version of the PH have you? I can try finding it around to check it in the lab.
Which of the yellow LED have you in conjunction with the error?

LED 1. Signal missing – error – calibration stops
The audio signal coming from the VCO is too low or absent

LED 2. Signal unstable – error – calibration stops
The signal is inconsistent in frequency, phase or level, hampering the frequency measurement.

LED 3. Base frequency too low – error – calibration stops
The CalTrans does not start calibration for notes under 20Hz

LED 4. Base frequency possibly too high – warning – calibration continues
Your base frequency is above 80Hz. This warning draws your attention on the fact that you may
miss some usable range at the bottom of the frequency span.

Thanks for reporting.

Eric
Klavis
Fine Modular Designs

mgdigital
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mgdigital » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:47 am

Hi Eric,

It's a PH MK3, and I'm getting 4 flashing reds with all the yellows off. Here's a (shaky) video of it:

I'm trying with the octave on PH set to -1 then -2 which is as low as it goes. It's actually getting further than it seemed to yesterday, not that clear from the video but on the second attempt I get the first 2 yellows starting to light up a bit before it fails.

Hope that helps!

mgdigital
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mgdigital » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:03 am

Ah sorry with the yellows I think you have to pull the calibration out first, I've got third yellow lit up after that, but I get third yellow whether octave is set to -2 through +1, so definitely not too low. I just managed a green light though with top 3 out of 4 yellows indicating calibration, but I need to set octave to +2 (the maximum) to get that. Also to clarify in the video I think my phone's clipping the sound but it is actually a sine wave.

Saladolar
Common Wiggler

Post by Saladolar » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:30 am

Hi, I own a quadrax, which is an awesome lfo/envelope module. It can act really nicely as a 4 voices vco but it is really hard to tune...
In theory (if I understand well), this Caltrans module could be a nice way to tune it. Did someone try this ?

It could be interesting to list the modules that can be easily tuned with Caltrans, don't you think ? Maths, quadrax, zadar ?...

Zentek
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zentek » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:31 am

mgdigital wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:26 am
Saturday, I went to a friend that owns a PH MK3 to check how it works with the CalTrans.
The Piston Honda was running the firmware from October 2019.

In V/Oct calibration we got a bit over 4 octaves, which is not enough given the theoretical range of that VCO.
We set it to sine wave (all sliders down) and be sure to disable any form of self modulation.
Looking the shape at the oscilloscope there is a slight edgy step in the wave nearby its zero crossing point.
I assume that could be the reason for some indetermination in the frequency measurement leading to the smaller than expected range.

In Neutral calibration, a much wider range out of the PH is attainable. This doesn't involve measuring the wave out of the VCO.
We used the - soon to be made public - new firmware of the CalTrans that allows the user to set the scaling of inputs for perfect matching.
Allow me the time to finish the deep rewriting of the manual before releasing that firmware.

Besides, your comment about the PH reaction time might be valid; the difference in results being due to possibly different hardware versions of the PH.

Have a good time :zen:

Eric
Klavis
Fine Modular Designs

mgdigital
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mgdigital » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:03 am

Thanks for the update and the effort put into looking into this Eric!

Zentek
Wiggling with Experience

Klavis - CalTrans - Firmware 1.17

Post by Zentek » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:00 am

New firmware for the CalTrans

Version 1.17 offers:
  • User editable input scaling to match sources that don't generate perfect 1V per octave signals.
  • Complete rewrite of the processing for higher precision.
  • ... and the unavoidable fixes and tweaks :oops:
The updated user manual 1.4 is much expanded with operations described in exquisite details :cool:

Downloads at http://www.klavis.com/index.php/all-products/caltrans
The update is about playing an audio file with the module in place :love:

Enjoy and stay safe. :zen:

Eric
---
Klavis
Fine Modular Designs

paperCUT
Ultra Wiggler

Post by paperCUT » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:12 am

Awesome! Will test how it handles the Synchrodyne, that's been the only real problem module for me.

Naenyn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Naenyn » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:05 pm

Thank you for the update! CalTrans is amazingly helpful.. wish I would have gotten it early on in my rack build. It would have saved me some headaches for sure.
-n :ninja:

My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on Discord

paperCUT
Ultra Wiggler

Post by paperCUT » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:35 am

Spent a few hours with the update, not sure if placebo but seems flawless across all vcos in terms of working out of the box. The problem VCO is still Synchrodyne with its 20 octaves but tried a few starting points and at some stage it just worked. I think it was sitting about 3 octaves above the lowest as described in the manual but it was trial and error. When I get a chance I'll try do repro steps for that module in case there's a best practice.

I found cheating a little can help too, let it calibrate an octave higher and retune the vco afterwards.

Still love to see an advanced version of this module with the same functionality but expanded: more presets, ability to sequence them, multiple scales, CV over octaves and semi, stuff like that. Not an update but a different beast, I consider this module to be essential if you like VCOs 8-)

Ray Finkle
Common Wiggler

Post by Ray Finkle » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:55 am

Thanks zentek. I’ll give this a go over the weekend :)

Tun
Common Wiggler

Post by Tun » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:42 pm

Sorry if I’ve missed this but is there a way to do a full reset?

Zentek
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zentek » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:34 am

Tun wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:42 pm
Sorry if I’ve missed this but is there a way to do a full reset?
The operation to clear one or more presets is described on page 14 of the User Manual V1.4.
Klavis
Fine Modular Designs

Tun
Common Wiggler

Post by Tun » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:49 am

Thanks for the quick reply Zentek, that’s not what I meant though, when I first got it I didn’t bother calibrating as I’d tuned my oscs manually, I just jumped in and started playing transposing stuff. Now I’m getting round to calibrating I’m finding it troublesome and I’m not sure if it’s something I did previously which is causing the issues. So far only Plaits has calibrated successfully, Twin Waves worked too but it keeps spitting out a rogue note for some reason. MN LI appeared to calibrate successfully but it’s out by a couple of semitones. Anyway, I’m about to perform all the firmware updates on my Klavis modules so hopefully that will sort it out.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”