Moog Mother 32/Subharmonican/DFAM, as the center pieces of a Eurorack?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

smithie
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Moog Mother 32/Subharmonican/DFAM, as the center pieces of a Eurorack?

Post by smithie » Sat May 16, 2020 6:57 pm

I was also really attracted to the M32/DFAM combo as an easy entry point into modular - a lot of folks are. I got the Eurorack Case too and populated it with a few modules to complement the Moogs. I had fun with this set-up for a bit, but after about 6 months or so, I traded the Moogs for some more Eurorack modules. I found the M32/DFAM pretty limiting pretty fast. A lot of the signal experimentation and control I became interested in trying and learning more about I just couldn't do with the Moog set-up. My current modular set-up, on the other hand, is always leading me to discover new things and try to solve musical/CV questions in a much more satisfying and exciting way.

So, I guess I'd say the Moogs are a good gateway, but don't feel bad if you end up feeling like you want to move on relatively quick. I've learned much, much more since moving on from the Moogs.

Standup
Common Wiggler

Post by Standup » Sat May 16, 2020 8:45 pm

Werkstett then Mother32 was my entry. Now I have Eurorack, maybe 175 hp worth of stuff. But I also picked up a eowave weather drones, another semi-modular, and I really want a subharmonicon. Selling modules now, by the time SH is available I will have covered the cost.

I like semi-modulars, especially with Maths, random, sequencers, and other filters to add to the sound.

FletchNYC
Common Wiggler

Post by FletchNYC » Sat May 16, 2020 9:02 pm

Standup wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:45 pm
Werkstett then Mother32 was my entry. Now I have Eurorack, maybe 175 hp worth of stuff. But I also picked up a eowave weather drones, another semi-modular, and I really want a subharmonicon. Selling modules now, by the time SH is available I will have covered the cost.

I like semi-modulars, especially with Maths, random, sequencers, and other filters to add to the sound.
The Subharmonicon is on sale now.

deke
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deke » Sat May 16, 2020 9:10 pm

For what it’s worth I started with an O-Coast and SQ1 then got a Mother 32. I have a 9U rack now and still have all three, but I use the Mother 32 the least. It is fun and does that Moog sound pretty well, but I find it limiting even with the new firmware. The sequencer is not as playable and interesting to me as others, even the SQ1 which while very limited on paper, let’s me be more spontaneous and creative. With that is available now, I think I personally would have liked to have started with one of the little systems by Erica Synths or Pittsburgh Modular. I don’t have the DFAM but I really think I would like one. It’s tough - sooooo many choices.

Standup
Common Wiggler

Post by Standup » Sat May 16, 2020 9:17 pm

FletchNYC wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:02 pm

The Subharmonicon is on sale now.
Except it's sold out, and apparently mid-July is when the next batch arrives.

FletchNYC
Common Wiggler

Post by FletchNYC » Sun May 17, 2020 1:15 pm

Hour long jam of someone combing Mother 32/Subharmonicon/DFAM with other modules:

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sun May 17, 2020 4:02 pm

evilspock wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:54 pm
FletchNYC wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:33 pm
Fedor wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:27 pm
To me personally the Subharmonicon looks the most interesting - mother is kinda basic, and dfam just doesn't hit that hard.
Yea, the softness of the DFAM has always been my problem with it.
LOL...uh, wuuuut?? The DFAM is the rudest, rawest, punchy, in-your-face, Nine Inch Nails/Aphex Twin-in-a-box analog sound module I've ever come across. If you haven't discovered that...you're doing it wrong. Try again!
yes it is
your DFAM if broken, bro...

Standup
Common Wiggler

Post by Standup » Sun May 17, 2020 5:09 pm

Mysteron has been out of my case for a bit. I'm thinking it might be a good compliment for subharmonicon.

analogsplitter
Common Wiggler

Post by analogsplitter » Tue May 19, 2020 11:14 am

You might be able to emulate Subharmonicon harmonics sounds with the sync of the Moog Mother... (do the oscillators have sync input??)

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Tue May 19, 2020 3:43 pm

it´s fun to see videos saying "poor man" while using a bunch of modular stuff that cost 2x the price of the subharmonicon

yeah, I know...if you already have this stuff you save the moog price, but anyway, this title isn´t the nest way to say this

emergingstates
Common Wiggler

Post by emergingstates » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:35 pm

is it possible to use the subharmonicon's sequencers and rhythm/clocks to sequence external gear in the same way it can with its own oscillators? Thanks.

Standup
Common Wiggler

Post by Standup » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:40 pm

I pre-ordered one, so have not played with it. But there are outputs in the patch bay for the sequencers. That’s kinda my plan, to send those rhythms out to 5he rest of the modular stuff.

mnchrme
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mnchrme » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:20 pm

FletchNYC wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:49 pm
Do you think the combination of the Mother 32, Subharmonicon, and DFAM, would be a quality basis for the beginning of a Eurorack setup, and then you could eventually build onto it with other modules to expand on this foundation? Or would these three devices never be able to be a strong center from which to grow out from?

As a beginner in modular, this seems like a very inviting trio of devices, but I would hate to make the investment, if ultimately I were to find the Moog modules to be limiting in some way.

This rack, for example, would give you 120 HP left to add onto: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1209131

These videos were really impressive to me, though:

Decide for yourself. Marketing/influencing is very real these days. Anyway. If it sounds good to you, then it’s worth it. You could get a nice setup for the price of the three combined together as well. I usually decide on a basis of “I want to achieve sound A, will this get me there?”.

msboude
Wiggling with Experience

Post by msboude » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:41 pm

evilspock wrote:
FletchNYC wrote:
Fedor wrote:
To me personally the Subharmonicon looks the most interesting - mother is kinda basic, and dfam just doesn't hit that hard.
LOL...uh, wuuuut?? The DFAM is the rudest, rawest, punchy, in-your-face, Nine Inch Nails/Aphex Twin-in-a-box analog sound module I've ever come across. If you haven't discovered that...you're doing it wrong. Try again!
This!!

Haha.. I was literally laughing... I have at times worried I was going to ruin my speakers.

wrngtrls
Common Wiggler

Post by wrngtrls » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:22 pm

My DFAM is also my second most insane instrument in terms of analog viscerality and wildness (after my Pittsburgh VRL).

I connected it to my Tektronix 545A oscilloscope for a demonstration:

Does anyone have samples of what Morphagene does to DFAM? Patch ideas?

booger
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by booger » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:22 pm

muleskinner
Wiggling with Experience

Post by muleskinner » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:21 am

deke wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:10 pm
For what it’s worth I started with an O-Coast and SQ1 then got a Mother 32. I have a 9U rack now and still have all three, but I use the Mother 32 the least. It is fun and does that Moog sound pretty well, but I find it limiting even with the new firmware.
Ditto. I sold mine though.

I loved the sound but found it really limiting as my Euro setup expanded due to the way certain routings on it are 'hard-wired' no matter what you do with the patchbay. It always felt it was in its own little world rather than being part of the whole.

Replaced with a Neutron/SQ1 and don't regret it a bit, the M32 was better standalone but these two complement a larger system so much better IMO.
Jamming, Patching and Twiddling: http://bit.ly/facelessmule
Currently Selling (UK): Akemie's Taiko, Plaits

F2point8
1-Post Wiggler

Post by F2point8 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:08 pm

Hi there. Totally new to this forum. Apologies if this isn’t the best thread to jump into- but I have a 3tier moog rack with a mother 32 and dfam. In my same setup I also have a sub37, Korg minilogue, and a few small korg units (sq1, Volca keys, Volca beats). I’m getting more and more intrigued by the power of the semi- modular and modular stuff, and I’d like to add something of value to the 3rd tier alongside my dfam and m32. I have debated a second m32 or maybe a subharmonicon. I already have a lot of dedicated synths for melodic stuff (I use a key step pro for sequencing) and I’m thinking a subharmonicon would be cool to play with, but the reviews make it sound pretty squirrely to get a handle on.

So the question finally: For roughly the same price, could I build a custom rack to put into that 60hp spot (including the cost of a 60hp case and power supply)? Or would a second m32 or subharmonicon be a little more fun?

I really like pulsating and dark beats with layered arpeggiated melodies. Some of the stuff I hear from the subharmonicon sounds cool, but some is too out there.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:59 pm

muleskinner wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:21 am
deke wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:10 pm
For what it’s worth I started with an O-Coast and SQ1 then got a Mother 32. I have a 9U rack now and still have all three, but I use the Mother 32 the least. It is fun and does that Moog sound pretty well, but I find it limiting even with the new firmware.
Ditto. I sold mine though.

I loved the sound but found it really limiting as my Euro setup expanded due to the way certain routings on it are 'hard-wired' no matter what you do with the patchbay. It always felt it was in its own little world rather than being part of the whole.

Replaced with a Neutron/SQ1 and don't regret it a bit, the M32 was better standalone but these two complement a larger system so much better IMO.
I sold my M32 too, but kept the DFAM...nothing can touch it, even in eurorack...I know because I tried to replicate it before buy one and failed...you can mimic the functions but the sonic results are very different...the DFAM it´s a huge sweet spot

Now I kinda miss it not by the synth itself (as said before, very basic) but the combination with the DFAM in the same rack makes sense as they complement each other very well

Iñm not interested in the Sub-harmonicon because I experimented this sub-division-style sequencing way back in euro, so I decided to go for the Matriarch to have more Moog connectivity power. I have the Sub-37 too, and while it´s nice, I preffer the semi-modular aproach over the preset one, so it will go when the Matriarch arrives.

guitargyro
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guitargyro » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:27 am

Licudi wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 4:55 pm
luketeaford wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 4:39 pm
I have 2 M32s and a DFAM and love that combo despite my frustrations-- it's a limitation I'm fine with for the instrument (similar drawbacks to my other synths/modular instruments).
I have a similar set-up (three M-32s; sold the DFAM) and came to the same conclusion, albeit only after experimenting with additional envelopes, LFOs and VCAs. Now I'm happy now to work within the Moogs' limitations. That said, I still use a passive attenuator pod, which I'd say is essential to get the best from the Mothers.
Could you expand on what having a passive attenuator does for the Mother? I think I know, but I have yet to spend much time finding out what I’m missing

I know Erica makes a attenuator module specifically for this purpose. Wondering if it’s worth it for me, with my 2 M32s, DFAM, and Subharm...

wrngtrls
Common Wiggler

Post by wrngtrls » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:50 am

F2point8 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:08 pm
I’m thinking a subharmonicon would be cool to play with, but the reviews make it sound pretty squirrely to get a handle on.
The thing that you can do with the subharmonicon that you can't with the mother-32 is play with 4-5-6 note chords through the Midi-in. Played from a keystep 37 it's a polyphonic synth. I've always played guitar ignoring standard tuning, so the whole constantly finding new patterns and chords is just how I worked before the subharmonicon. If tuning isn't your thing, I imagine subharmonicon - anythingharmonicon - would be pretty aggravating. I have hours of fun with it.

Once you get the tuning, the manual trigger/advance mode is a powerful tool. This downbeat jam I did last week was a played with the manual trigger function of the subharmonicon once I had the tuning right:

And there are four/five independent clock/gate OUTS that can gate/trigger drum modules, which is super musically handy.

guitargyro
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guitargyro » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:58 am

FletchNYC wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 11:37 am
NoLegs wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 10:48 am
Yeah I’m honestly totally confused by the people in this thread saying the DFAM is “soft”. It was instant punchy, pounding mayhem for me when I had it.
Personally, I was referring more to the snare than anything else. I like a hard hitting, almost boom bap, type of snare, and I've never heard the DFAM produce that. It's very dynamic, and gives you a really bumping bass sound, but I've yet to hear that sort of snare sound from it.

I've also never really heard anyone produce a great combination of hi-hats, kick, and snare, with the DFAM. Seems like you have to sort of choose which elements you want from those three, as opposed to getting them all at once.
I was in this boat for my first year of owning the DFAM. Then I got 2hp snare and hihat modules and realized how
limited I was in my expectations/my approach with the DFAM.

If you go in wanting it to be a Analog Rytm, or a 808, you are looking in the wrong place.

That being said, if you stop obsessing about getting the typical drum sounds any $300 drum machine has these days you’ll see you are sitting on a goldmine of timbres, grooves, and HUGE, much more unique sounding percussion pallets.

Moog kind of shot itself in the foot by calling DFAM a Drummer first and foremost. It is, but it isn’t. And being Moog, they automatically attract a lot of first time synth buyers that don’t really know how to utilize everything within. I was DEFINITELY in this crowd.

Now, in a way I find it to be the most interesting and rich/intriguing/diverse sounding of the 3 Moogs.

My biggest problem with all the Moogs is just the amount of time I waste trying to get them to perform like my other eurorack stuff. I’m slowly realizing...as is, they just don’t. And that is totally fine. I still find myself PLAYING them more than I do my other modules. They LOVE constant knob twiddling. At their heart...still very much a Moog synth. Which is what first played: Sub37.

They do what they do. And for the amount of money it would take to get: an Oscillator module, VCA, LFO, attenuator, EG, Filter, and oh yeah, a sequencer...it’s beyond a steal for the money. But that topic is beaten into the ground.

The Mother is the heart of all 3 for me, and I don’t think I could have the other 2 without it. In all honesty, I am kind of hoping for a Grandfather Modulation hub in the future (hint with the new 4 tier?) which might fill in some of the gaps between the 3: more modulation, more interaction with VCAs (which frankly don’t seem to play that well with other eurorack stuff), maybe some effects, maybe a built in 4 channel mixer...a boy can dream.

For me, the Subharm is the most challenging. It sounds good at what it does as well. And often in a minimal patch, it really shines. But incorporating it within a patch with other nonMoog modules has been a bit of a challenge for me. It seems to lack some of the EG shaping abilities of the Mother, and for me (so far) trying to bring in outside modulation to with internal VCA...meh. But I haven’t given up.

I’m very happy to have these synths. I find a place for them in almost everything I do, and it’s usually a pretty epic part. They have a SOUND. I wish most of my other eurorack stuff had half the character. Like I said, as long as I don’t try and make them ACT just like my other eurorack modules, they sound GREAT, and what they do, THEY DO VERY WELL.

colb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by colb » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:31 am

Standup wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:40 pm
I pre-ordered one, so have not played with it. But there are outputs in the patch bay for the sequencers. That’s kinda my plan, to send those rhythms out to 5he rest of the modular stuff.
That was my idea too a few years ago when I got started in modular... however...

My Mother32 has been mostly collecting dust since then.
My idea was to get a few extra modules - another oscillator, a filter, divider... (and also a buffer because otherwise the mothers note cv output wont track properly). Then to send a clock divided signal back to that the bass sound on the mother only played every 4th note from the sequence...
Also more complex variations on this 'pattern'.
However, you cannot decouple the mothers sequencer output CV from its oscillator. So If you want to drive an external sound with the mothers sequencer, either the internal oscillator plays along, or you cant use it. For me this was a major buzz kill. It seemed so obvious to me that the sequencer CV would be normalised, and that the normalisation would be broken if I plugged into the oscillators CV input, but noooo :doh: :bang: :mad:

Anyhow, after that, I realised that it wouldn't ever be the core of a system for me, just an external single osc voice with a sequencer interface so complicated that if it's not the core sequencer, I would never become proficient enough on it for it to be intuitive. Ando so it was :(

I guess if you are a pro musician, and composing every day, then that wouldn't be an issue. But if I was starting out now, I thing there are quite a few Behringer offerings I would choose before considering a mother32... Id advise anyone starting out to get a used doepfer case and a bunch of mostly used modules from Doepfer, Ladik and Behringer.

Unless someone knows a mod for the mother32 to decouple the sequencer from the oscillator?

SkyWriter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SkyWriter » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:47 pm

FletchNYC wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:49 pm
Do you think the combination of the Mother 32, Subharmonicon, and DFAM, would be a quality basis for the beginning of a Eurorack setup, and then you could eventually build onto it with other modules to expand on this foundation? Or would these three devices never be able to be a strong center from which to grow out from?

As a beginner in modular, this seems like a very inviting trio of devices, but I would hate to make the investment, if ultimately I were to find the Moog modules to be limiting in some way.

This rack, for example, would give you 120 HP left to add onto: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1209131

These videos were really impressive to me, though:
Yes. I have two Mother 32's, DFAM, and SubH in the top rows of my rig. In my case they were the last thing to add. But they're so chock-full of patch connections, you can make them do crazy stuff. I like to augment the internal AD envelope generators with ADSR's, patch ext in's with digital oscillators, drive them with Grids, etc... they're rather pricey, but few eurorack synths provide as much patching as these puppies. Behr Neutron is close!
say it with NROFF.

guitargyro
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guitargyro » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:09 pm

evilspock wrote:
FletchNYC wrote:
Fedor wrote:
Exactly

Return to “General Gear”