Doepfer A196 Phase Locked Loop Basics and Experiments videos

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

raulsworldofsynths
I'd patch that!

Post by raulsworldofsynths » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:04 am

Hello all. I just posted the next video in this Experimental series.
A few notes about this series.
1. This module was a conundrum for me to explore so the structure of this series may change after feedback or reshooting of a couple of videos may happen.
2. While most of my videos tend to be more explanatory, these try to be more exploratory since the nature of this module is providing controlled chaos to your modular system.
3. The demo begins right at the end of part one, so the meat of this segment won't be out until next week.
4. For my demo I chose a sine wave( against the recommended pulse wave to sync the PLL, since in my first few experiments I got some nice sounding results. ), for practicality I may reshoot these next two parts with the recommended pulse wave as suggested in the manual, and maybe add some additional information from viewer feedback, aka corrections.

Hopefully with your wiggler help I can make this series a valuable resource with consistent information.

Here it goes: Doepfer A196 PLL -Experiments with the Phase Locked Loop-VCO and Phase Comparator Part One
[video][/video]

Thanks all.
:tu:
Last edited by raulsworldofsynths on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:06 am

Best module in the series up till now. And I've seen 'em all.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

VortexRanger
reticulating splines

Post by VortexRanger » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:02 pm

raulsworldofsynths wrote:For my demo I chose a sine wave( against the recommended pulse wave to sync the PLL, since in my first few experiments I got some nice sounding results. ), for practicality I may reshoot these next two parts with the recommended pulse wave as suggested in the manual, and maybe add some additional information from viewer feedback, aka corrections.
From the scope shot it's quite obvious that it works with the sine wave as well, with the rising and falling sides producing differing pulse widths in the phase comparator output.
:hobbes:

Electrostatic
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Electrostatic » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:45 pm

:guinness:
Last edited by Electrostatic on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

RubberCityNoise
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RubberCityNoise » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:18 pm

I appreciate these videos, however IMO, they are too longwinded and drawn-out. Too much of both of the videos (but especially the second) is focused on self-evident features that should take 5 seconds to explain. I dont feel anything was really shown in the second video that I wouldn't know just by reading the pannel until the 9 minute mark. Also, the mess- ups should be edited out because they just make things confusing (ei. when the cable was not plugged in all the way) Any time I watch these, all I can think of is Monty Python's "GET ON WITH IT!" :bang:
I apologize if this criticism seems harsh, I am not trying to bash you. There is some good information, but I think it would be more helpful to make the videos more to the point.
Life without synthesis has no meaning!

raulsworldofsynths
I'd patch that!

Post by raulsworldofsynths » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:02 pm

RubberCityNoise wrote:I appreciate these videos, however IMO, they are too longwinded and drawn-out. Too much of both of the videos (but especially the second) is focused on self-evident features that should take 5 seconds to explain. I dont feel anything was really shown in the second video that I wouldn't know just by reading the pannel until the 9 minute mark. Also, the mess- ups should be edited out because they just make things confusing (ei. when the cable was not plugged in all the way) Any time I watch these, all I can think of is Monty Python's "GET ON WITH IT!" :bang:
I apologize if this criticism seems harsh, I am not trying to bash you. There is some good information, but I think it would be more helpful to make the videos more to the point.
I appreciate the honesty. I do agree in some cases I tend to go on a bit.
As far as the mishaps go I do think those should be corrected. I just have to choose to reshoot the video in its entirety or edit and transition.
I've never been a big fan of explanatory videos with crossfades between edits though.
At any rate I'll take this criticism. The only real item I seem to not be eye to eye on is regarding what may or may not be evident by looking at something.. People learn differntly,some by seeing, some hearing and some experiencing.
I tend towards the last, looking at a panel or a manual for any length of time has little benefit for me. But seeing a technique applied and hearing an explanation has great benefit to me. So maybe in that respect my videos are slanted for the last two learning styles.
Great feedback though. I'll work on it.

RubberCityNoise
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RubberCityNoise » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:35 pm

Keep the videos coming! Despite my crit,I am excited for the rest of the A-196 videos. Mine will be arriving in the mail tomorrow! :guinness:

kimu
My Euro dreams of Electric Sheep

Post by kimu » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:35 am

loving this module.

here is a little soundcloud explanation of it:

http://soundcloud.com/kimuz/doepfer-a-196-ppl-demo
http://rsto.bandcamp.com/album/constellation my last album in free streaming and download (post-rock / synths / piano)

http://www.youtube.com/user/RedShiftingTheOcean

http://soundcloud.com/kimuz - eurorack sounds

Refund
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Refund » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:39 am

I'm looking forward to seeing the different comparator modes in the next video. :popcorn:

raulsworldofsynths
I'd patch that!

Post by raulsworldofsynths » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:10 pm

kimu wrote:loving this module.

here is a little soundcloud explanation of it:

http://soundcloud.com/kimuz/doepfer-a-196-ppl-demo
Well said!
:yay:

I especially liked where you said, and I am paraphrasing:"
MMMMeeeerrrrwoaheeeeereeeeeawrrrrrr......and the other section where you said"Bleeeeeahrwhooooooopmhkeeeeearrrr..."
:sb:

kimu
My Euro dreams of Electric Sheep

Post by kimu » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:04 pm

:guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness:

well said!!!!
http://rsto.bandcamp.com/album/constellation my last album in free streaming and download (post-rock / synths / piano)

http://www.youtube.com/user/RedShiftingTheOcean

http://soundcloud.com/kimuz - eurorack sounds

RubberCityNoise
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RubberCityNoise » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:04 am

Mine arrived yesterday, and even with just a few minutes to play with it, I can tell it will be awesome. There is a lot to it, and It can very easily trick you into thinking it's broken. I was able to get some very interesting sounds and rhythms by using some audio-rate oscillators into the cv and and phase inputs. What I am interested in finding about, is how the filter is affecting things. Just by adjusting it, it has some very unpredictable results depending on the vco and phase comp mode settings. I would like to see a little more of what is actually happening.

raulsworldofsynths
I'd patch that!

Post by raulsworldofsynths » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:03 pm

RubberCityNoise wrote:Mine arrived yesterday, and even with just a few minutes to play with it, I can tell it will be awesome. There is a lot to it, and It can very easily trick you into thinking it's broken. I was able to get some very interesting sounds and rhythms by using some audio-rate oscillators into the cv and and phase inputs. What I am interested in finding about, is how the filter is affecting things. Just by adjusting it, it has some very unpredictable results depending on the vco and phase comp mode settings. I would like to see a little more of what is actually happening.
Cool. I have two videos after the next one on the LPF. they unfortunately do not have oscilloscope views, but I will shoot a couple or maybe do a supplemental video with oscilloscope views of odds and ends.
I've never tried it before, but change is good.

raulsworldofsynths
I'd patch that!

Post by raulsworldofsynths » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:15 pm

Here's the next video in the series. Doepfer A196 PLL- Experiments with the Phase Locked Loop- VCO and Phase Comparator Part Two
[video][/video]

The next two in the series will be on the Low Pass Filter of the A196. Followed by a few on bigger patches.

Thanks all. Please leave feedback, corrections or any other comments here. I will use the corrections to either reshoot the video or add annotations to the video since I am still learning something new about this module everyday.

Last edited by raulsworldofsynths on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

raulsworldofsynths
I'd patch that!

Post by raulsworldofsynths » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:38 am

Howdy. Here's the next part of the series. This time a look at the behavior of the Low Pass Filter of the Doepfer A196 PLL. No oscilloscope views but I may return for some of those in a later segment.

Doepfer A196 PLL-Experiments with the Phase Locked Loop-Low Pass Filter and CV triggering Part One
[video][/video]

As always leave any feedback or corrections.

Thanks all.
Raul

RubberCityNoise
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RubberCityNoise » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:31 pm

This module is so crazy. Such and interesting range of sounds!

raulsworldofsynths
I'd patch that!

Post by raulsworldofsynths » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:23 pm

Hello. Here is the next installment in the Doepfer A196 series. Doepfer A196 PLL-Experiments with the Phase Locked Loop-Low Pass Filter and CV triggering Part Two

[video][/video]

Thanks all. -Raul

Last edited by raulsworldofsynths on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

raulsworldofsynths
I'd patch that!

Post by raulsworldofsynths » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:03 am

Here's the beginning of the next section showing off some of the basic patch examples I found here and there.

Doepfer A196 PLL-Experiments with the Phase Locked Loop-Basic Patching
Part One-Sequencer Patch

[video][/video]

All the best.

Last edited by raulsworldofsynths on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

337is
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 337is » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:34 pm

Really enjoyed this one a lot. The variety of subtle sound changes is fascinating! Thanks for continuing this interesting thread. :tu:
Website
SCloud
Vimeo
YTube

I've had great B/S/T transactions with: ryandfl, Soy Sos, metaBit, haven, swordsect, goiks, FSK1138, numan7, dubno, VanEck, rico loverde, C14ru5, spunkytoofers, paults, vonbonenstein, soundwave106, d.thomas, dropmotif, Cadence, & TheNavigator

gate
1-Post Wiggler

Post by gate » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:27 pm

This module makes me happy every day! :nana:

raulsworldofsynths
I'd patch that!

Post by raulsworldofsynths » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:21 am

Here's the next video in the PLL series.
Doepfer A196 PLL- Experiments with the Phase Locked Loop- Basic Patching Pt. 2 "PLL Arabesque" Intro

[video][/video]

Thanks.

Last edited by raulsworldofsynths on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:58 am

Cool. Dougcl backed you up with info?

raulsworldofsynths
I'd patch that!

Post by raulsworldofsynths » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:28 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:Cool. Dougcl backed you up with info?
I emailed him to get any inside info. From the threads that have been around on the patch only new info I found was a few modules in the video were external to the patch. Ala a160/161, and also in the video it appears there's an a147 pulsing to the melody which initially I thought was driving the PLL or modulating it in some way.
On that Doug said those modules were not involved directly.
however I transplanted an a147 sine into the patch instead of a sequenced voltage and got some pretty crazy results.

There's only two left in this series.ill have to cook something good up for the last one.

jonah
searching for "switch nipples"

Post by jonah » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:16 pm

I really like the deconstructing then reconstructing a patch format. It's like cooking or painting shows. It's something I'd enjoy seeing more of. If you have the Allen Strange book that would be a decent place to look for patches to use.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:22 pm

Ah man, wish I had the time to look through my patch notes. The a-196 has some crazy stuff going on. This is by far the most useful videos out of the whole series, I for one really appreciate having them on my computer!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”