Super Sixteen build support thread

Creator of of the Super Sixteen Sequencer and based in San Francisco. This is a DIY and Finished Good product for Eurorack.

Moderators: Kent, extralifedisco

extralifedisco
Common Wiggler

Re: Super Sixteen build support thread

Post by extralifedisco » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:30 pm

yodog wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:55 pm
Texy wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:23 am
Not worth the risk if you have already soldered them in, but ideally sockets should of been used. Did it work is the main question though ;-)
Texy
Thanks. I've left them in place. Currently working on building the control board and installed the sockets on it. The next problem I've encountered is the pots. Both Matthew and this thread mentioned that 50K pots would work (since the ones on the BOM were sold out). I *thought* I ordered the 50K versions of the ones on the BOM, but I seem to have ordered a version that has 2 gangs instead of 1. Is there any chance that these will work if I trim the outer gang?
Yep I think that should be fine, internally it's just 2 separate identical potentiometers so the pinout should be the same if you lop off the outer pins, though you may find it has more friction than your average pot.

yodog
Learning to Wiggle

Post by yodog » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:27 pm

Thanks for the help, everyone! I just finished my build with the W25Q80DVSSIG chip by bending the legs in (I have extras if anyone needs any) and 50K pots. Everything seems to be working well!

Texy
Common Wiggler

Post by Texy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:10 pm

Can I ask, as I'm very new to all this, my S16 clock o/p level is 5V relative to GND and the gate o/p 3.3v - is that expected?
I have nothing to compare it too, so not sure.
Thanks
Texy

pjbulls
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pjbulls » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:44 am

They both come directly from a digital pin on the MCU so should be providing whatever the supply voltage is, but the Gate Out also seems to be driving the LED directly. I'd have put a transistor driver there.

Texy
Common Wiggler

Post by Texy » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:12 am

pjbulls wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:44 am
They both come directly from a digital pin on the MCU so should be providing whatever the supply voltage is, but the Gate Out also seems to be driving the LED directly. I'd have put a transistor driver there.
That might explain it. It is driving my Prok base drum module OK, but I think I need a different setup to sequence by percussion modules, as the S16 only has the one gate out.
Cheers,
Texy

My_one_opus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by My_one_opus » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:07 am

Texy wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:12 am
pjbulls wrote:
That might explain it. It is driving my Prok base drum module OK, but I think I need a different setup to sequence by percussion modules, as the S16 only has the one gate out.
Cheers,
Texy
Yes, I’ve got a Robaux SWT16+ which is alright if you want to DIY, otherwise you’ve got options like TipTop Circadian Rhythms, Bastl knit rider, MI marbles or something external like a Squarp Pyramid and a midi cv converter. You can go into modules like Cellular Automata and 1/n by nonlinearcircuits for drum sequencing too, which is fun. Of course there’s loads of other options too, but you’ll definitely need something different that S16 as the gate put is really intended to drive VCO/VCA either directly or via an envelope.

Texy
Common Wiggler

Post by Texy » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:35 am

My_one_opus wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:07 am
Texy wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:12 am
pjbulls wrote:
Cheers,
Texy
Yes, I’ve got a Robaux SWT16+ which is alright if you want to DIY, otherwise you’ve got options like TipTop Circadian Rhythms, Bastl knit rider, MI marbles or something external like a Squarp Pyramid and a midi cv converter. You can go into modules like Cellular Automata and 1/n by nonlinearcircuits for drum sequencing too, which is fun. Of course there’s loads of other options too, but you’ll definitely need something different that S16 as the gate put is really intended to drive VCO/VCA either directly or via an envelope.
Thanks, this is as I thought. And it wouldn't be easy to modify the S16 for adding more gates. I'm thinking of a little bit of my own design work, nothing too fancy.....researching.....
Texy

timtango
Learning to Wiggle

Post by timtango » Mon May 03, 2021 4:59 am

Texy wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:35 am
Thanks, this is as I thought. And it wouldn't be easy to modify the S16 for adding more gates. I'm thinking of a little bit of my own design work, nothing too fancy.....researching.....
Texy
I ordered a built Super Sixteen this weekend as I don't think I have the skills for this build yet, but this was a thought that occurred to me when looking at the capabilities... how hard would it be to support additional triggers out from the Super Sixteen?
I could imagine a 2hp expansion with 4x triggers out, if the Super Sixteen has a connection point to support additional triggers.
If this could be done, then something like a Steppy could be offered using the same programming interface on the Super Sixteen.
Would be a magical device if it allowed not only the melodic sequencing but a couple of drum tracks too!

extralifedisco
Common Wiggler

Post by extralifedisco » Fri May 07, 2021 2:48 am

timtango wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 4:59 am
I ordered a built Super Sixteen this weekend as I don't think I have the skills for this build yet, but this was a thought that occurred to me when looking at the capabilities... how hard would it be to support additional triggers out from the Super Sixteen?
I could imagine a 2hp expansion with 4x triggers out, if the Super Sixteen has a connection point to support additional triggers.
If this could be done, then something like a Steppy could be offered using the same programming interface on the Super Sixteen.
Would be a magical device if it allowed not only the melodic sequencing but a couple of drum tracks too!

This would be quite tricky on the hardware as the CPU chip is pretty much maxed out on I/O pins. You could theoretically add up another couple of MCP23S17 I/O expanders on a daughterboard, since they have externally biased address pins they can share a chip select serial line with the one on the control board. Conceivably you could tap the serial lines, GND and +5V from the ICSP header port, but you'd also need to get the right CS (chip select) line, which is on one of the board-to-board pin headers. It's doable, but it would be a tricky mod.

Software-wise, I'm not really sure if you'd run into issues trying this. Each patch is 4kb so there's room to add trigger sequences to the stored patches. However the 328p only has 2kb of RAM, so storing the active sequence as 64 steps of pitch/gate/cv2/mutate is already eating a lot of that. Iterating the gate sequences as arrays would cost 1 byte per entry, or 64*4 = 256bytes of RAM, probably nearing the limit and causing weird bugs. Of course 64 triggers could be compressed into 8 bytes if you don't mind doing some manual bitmasking/binary arithmetic.

This whole project has been a pretty interesting exercise in squeezing performance out of the 328p, so there's a lot of code in the repo already that does stuff like this already (LED multiplexing, patch storage, calibration, etc).

Return to “Extralife Instruments”