[Eurorack] Correlating Multiple Quantizers (Braids Renaissance & O_C)

Post your patches here! Put the format(s) in the subject.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

madcaphorse
Learning to Wiggle

[Eurorack] Correlating Multiple Quantizers (Braids Renaissance & O_C)

Post by madcaphorse » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:40 pm

Okay, first time starting a new thread here, so go easy on me (or don't)...

:bang: I'm hitting a wall trying to layer pitches quantized via Braids' internal quantizer with ones being quantized by Ornament and Crime with hemispheres.

That patch is basically something like this:

Code: Select all

|         | -A-> | Braids |
| LFO(tides) | --> | 3xMIA | --> | uOC ASR |
                                 |         | -B-> | uOC Quantizer | --> | Clouds |
Both the Braids Quantizer and uOC are set to the same mode, both root of C.

I've tried tuning them by both unplugging the v/Oct for each and tuning to unison, and to zeroing the output of the 3xMIA and tuning to unison. Sometimes I get fooled and tune to intervals, but I think I generally get it pretty well set. Then, when I start to run pitch CV through to them I get very dissonant notes, or at least clearly not in the same key.

If I disable the quantizer in Braids and use quantized out of the ASR for both voices I can get it sounding pretty much as I'd expect, but I can't get the two quantizers to sound right together. A big part of the reason I was excited about Braids Renaissance was for the Quantized chords, but I need to get this all sorted to make use of that feature...

Has anyone else encountered similar issues? Any pointers much appreciated!

Thanks!
Last edited by madcaphorse on Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: [Eurorack] Correlating Multiple Quantizers (Braids Renaissance & O_C)

Post by Dave Peck » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:34 pm

Those results are not surprising. When you add the outputs of two quantizers together and send the summed CV signal to an osc, you will sometimes get notes that are not in the key of either quantizer.

For example, if they are both in the key of C major, and they both happen to be producing the major 3rd at the same time (four half-steps above the root of "C"), the sum of that is eight half steps above the root which gives you an F# which is not in the key of "C".

Why are you running two quantizers in parallel and sending the summed outputs to one osc? What are you trying to achieve?

madcaphorse
Learning to Wiggle

Post by madcaphorse » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:56 pm

Thanks for the response.

I'm not summing them at present: the ASR has two outputs, one for the most recent step and one for the shifted step. The most recent step out is going to the Braids and the shift register out is going to a channel on the OC's other hemisphere, a dual quantizer, and then to the Clouds. The Braids is quantized using its internal quantizer, the Clouds is quantized by the OC.

I just updated the diagram to clarify some potential confusions.

Both the OC quantizer and the Braids quantizers should have the same settings. Since they are receiving the same CV values (one just a few clock ticks delayed by the shift register) they should be in key, I think. When I disable the Braids internal quantizer and run both shift register outputs through the OC's quantizer (or use the ASR apps internal quantizer), it sounds more as I'd expect (I'm going to repatch this in the morning to confirm that).

The goal is to have two generative sequences running, with one in this case being a fairly regular bass line (Braids) and the other being melodic (Clouds). I'm also modulating the shift register step length at points, for some extra complexity in the melody.

Hope that helps clarify, thanks again.

madcaphorse
Learning to Wiggle

Post by madcaphorse » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:35 am

I did a quick test patch this AM, removing the ASR from the patch and just using a buffered mult into both devices. I think there might be a calibration issue on one of the modules, I'll simplify a bit more and might post a quick video for reference.

madcaphorse
Learning to Wiggle

Post by madcaphorse » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:57 pm

Okay, update here: the main culprit (in true n00b fashion), was power. I was 200ma over my board's limit and hadn't realized it. :d'oh!:

With that issue addressed I still see the issue at some edge-case voltages, but it's not nearly as pronounced. Basically I think that the modules are just slightly differently calibrated, so when quantizing an LFO out they will sometimes output neighboring notes.

In any event, probably not much to see here. I'll update with a video if I'm able to reproduce anything significant - with the power issue resolved.

Abyssinianloop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Abyssinianloop » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:13 pm

You may already be aware, but just in case...

I think best practice is to warm up your racks a bit before tuning. Maybe 15 min, or so. Some modules settle a bit and tuning drifts as they warm up.

Also, try tuning with your modules patched. Sometimes simply plugging a cable into a jack changes pitch.

Return to “Synthesis Techniques”