Beginner friendly modular videos - Monotrail Tech Talk series

Post your patches here! Put the format(s) in the subject.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

maudibe
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Beginner friendly modular videos - Monotrail Tech Talk series

Post by maudibe » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:41 am

Got one on the way from Schneider's. Just what the doctor ordered - and the brilliant video above def sold it for me. I would have loved to build one myself, but the old eyesight for these tasks is not what it was... so it was a joy to find the limited run of ready built ones at Schneider's.

I can't wait to have all that control with a lot less diving between the rats nest of wires!

Amazing to me, is that there is not a lot more mention of it on these forums. It seems almost like the essential piece of kit I have been missing.

Thanks trm for the video and enlightenment :)

trm
Common Wiggler

Post by trm » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:12 am

Hello everyone! Today we are going over some interesting ways to spice up patches using voltage controlled LFOs. LFOs with CV inputs are great for dynamic modulation, interesting shifting patterns, and to add texture and detail in your patches. First we’ll have a quick look at the MFB Dual LFO, and then we dive right in to some patch ideas! Cheers, Rijn

Electro Something
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Electro Something » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:20 am

Loving your videos! Very useful. Thank you!

trm
Common Wiggler

Post by trm » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:11 am

Hello everyone! Morphing wavetable oscillators are great for dynamic and complex sounds. Today we’ll have a quick look at the Erica Synths Black Wavetable VCO, but then we’ll dive right into a bunch of patches that can be used with any morphing wavetable VCO. From dark drones to dynamic melodies and crazy self-modulating chaos.

All the best! Rijn

nexgen23
Common Wiggler

Post by nexgen23 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:55 pm

I'm liking these videos, keep it up please :)
FS/FT: 1010Music Bitbox Mk2 trade for Odessa+HEL or sell for $522 shipped

trm
Common Wiggler

Post by trm » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:11 am

Hello everyone! Today we are going over some reasons why a simple sequencer like the Korg SQ-1 will add a lot of value to a eurorack or modular system. We start with a quick overview of the Korg SQ-1, and then we move on with a series of patch-tips, divided in a few sections. We go over melodic sequencing, CV sequencing, and trigger sequencing.

All the best, Rijn

trm
Common Wiggler

Post by trm » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:11 am

Hello everyone! In this video we go back to some basics and have a quick look at the eurorack quantizer, and the 1v/oct input on oscillators. We use the Doepfer A-156, and look at some ways to create interesting melodies from control voltages within your modular. But we also go over some basic tricks to use a quantizer as a trigger source, as well as a stepped CV generator.

All the best, Rijn

trm
Common Wiggler

Post by trm » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:18 am

Hello everyone!
Today we’re taking a closer look at the Erica Synths Black Octasource. We go over the features of the module, and then we dive into a series of patches. From a simple stereo patch, to interesting tempo synced modulation, to using the Octasource as the heart of a large dynamic patch.

All the best! Rijn

Common Wiggler

Post by 11235813 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:51 pm

Rijn - you are a very good teacher, and I especially like your graphics with “generic” building blocks that translate into anyone’s rack. You’ve helped me a lot as I learn modular. 😁

trm
Common Wiggler

Sample & Hold

Post by trm » Fri May 07, 2021 10:13 am

Sample and Hold is a common ingredient in synthesis. Not just in modular synths, but also semi-modular and stand alone synths. Its often thought of as a random stepped signal, but it’s actually a function. And within a modular you have the possibility to customize the results of that function.

In this video I explain how a Sample & Hold module works, and then we dive into a series of patches. From some uses for the basic stepped random signal, to more creative patches with a variety of sample and trigger inputs. Finally we also use the Sample & Hold as a trigger generator, and a sample rate reducer.

All the best!
Rijn

Bachelard
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bachelard » Fri May 07, 2021 5:46 pm

i’ve been fairly obsessed with exploring sample+hold these days, so thank you, will check this out. :)

jasev
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Sample & Hold

Post by jasev » Sat May 08, 2021 8:54 am

trm wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 10:13 am
Sample and Hold is a common ingredient in synthesis. Not just in modular synths, but also semi-modular and stand alone synths. Its often thought of as a random stepped signal, but it’s actually a function. And within a modular you have the possibility to customize the results of that function.

In this video I explain how a Sample & Hold module works, and then we dive into a series of patches. From some uses for the basic stepped random signal, to more creative patches with a variety of sample and trigger inputs. Finally we also use the Sample & Hold as a trigger generator, and a sample rate reducer.

All the best!
Rijn

Really loving your series Rijn. Keep up the good work

chriddler
Common Wiggler

Post by chriddler » Thu May 13, 2021 4:33 pm

Incredibly useful videos, thanks so much for making them! I got an SQ-1 after seeing your video about it, fantastic bang for the buck. You now have another new subscriber on Patreon :)
My Eurorack (the Neutron isn't racked btw!) https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1577670

trm
Common Wiggler

Post by trm » Fri May 28, 2021 10:10 am

Hello everyone! And thanks for the nice comments @Bachelard @Jasev & @ Chriddler

Today we are going in depth with analog delay, using the new Erica Synths Black BBD. The BBD is a great sounding analog delay with a wide time range, thanks to a combination of two bucket brigade delay chips, and a lot of CV control over it’s features.

In this video we start with a quick overview of the new module, and then we dive into a series of patch-tips and ideas. From spacious stereo delays, to using a delay as a sound shaping tool, and finally some patches to create drones and textures with a delay. Hope you enjoy!

trm
Common Wiggler

Post by trm » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:09 am

Analog drive and distortion are a great way to sculpt the character of drums and synth lines. Today we are using the Erica Synths Dual Drive to discover new ways to shape sounds in your eurorack modular system. The Dual Drive consists of two identical drive circuits with great CV control over the gain and drive. This makes it possible to create multiple distorted drums or synths, or use both circuits next to each other to process or create stereo sounds.

In this video we start with a quick overview of the module, and then we dive into a series of patch-tips and ideas. From mono patches where we add movement to distorted drums and synths using the CV inputs on the Dual Drive, to more interesting patches to create sounds with a dynamic stereo field!

Cheers everyone!
Rijn

trm
Common Wiggler

Post by trm » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:10 am

Clock dividing is one of those tricks that can make a modular patch stand out from semi- and non modular synths. They are simple tools that can have a huge impact on your percussive or synth patches, and are great tools for rhythmical, drone and generative patches.

Today we have a look at what a clock divider is, some options for your system, the Doepfer A160-2, and then we’ll dive into a series of patches. From using a divider to drive percussive parts, to making interesting tempo synced modulation in your synth voices, to using a divider as the heart of a generative patch. Finally there are some bonus tricks!

All the best!
Rijn

Return to “Synthesis Techniques”