"Remix/ReMangle" Contest now open!

Prizes generously donated by:
ADDAC System (Eurorack 3U)
Endorphin.es (Eurorack 3U)
Fred's Lab (DIY Paraphonic Synth)
Northern Light Modular (Buchla-format h-series)
Rattly and Raw (Wiggler Approved Kontakt Instrument)
Studio.h (Buchla-format 4U)

Show us what "remix" means to you! Create, share, vote, win modules & more! Free gifts too!
Join in here!

16 step vari-clock problem

Discussion & Documentation for Ray Wilson's synths, modules and noise boxes.

Moderators: Kent, dslocum, synthcube

Tape
Learning to Wiggle

16 step vari-clock problem

Post by Tape » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:43 am

Hi everyone i am new here also in synth diy...

i made mfos 16 step vari-clock sequencer and not work properly.
So the problem is in the step durations. Only half the time works, when i select 8 cycles per step he does 8 cycles but only the first 4 cycles works, the other half of the steps no gate outs.

Does anyone have similar experiences or a solution to fix the problem? :hail:

eljay
Common Wiggler

Re: 16 step vari-clock problem

Post by eljay » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:14 pm

What you are describing is the correct behaviour if you have the following selected : Clock source : Internal -> Q Clock and, Normal Gate/Trigger mode.

When in Normal Gate mode the gate length (i.e the time the gate is open) is half the selected note length, so if your note length is 8 beats or cycles the gate will be open for the first 4 beats/cycles, if your envelope has a very short decay and or release time then the note will appear to terminate prematurely, you can adjust your envelope parameters to avoid this.

To check your vari-clock is working correctly you could select Multiple-Gate Trigger mode, you should then be able to hear a separate Gate output for each vari-clock beat/cycle, for example for you 8 cycle note you should be able to hear the same note being rapidly played 8 times before moving on to the next step.

Tape
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Tape » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:09 am

Hello and thanks for reply
Everything you wrote is ok and i understand how it should work.
So the problem is in Q-clock-multi gate mode. Example.
when i select 8 cycles per step, he makes 8 cycles i count that time is 8 cycles but i can only hear 4 cycles.The rest of the 4 cycles nothing is heard.So half the 8 cycles work and the rest nothing happens.
So,for any number of cycles, if I select 12 cycles he spends that time of 12 cycles on that step but I can only hear 6 cycles.
I wish I could correct it.
Do you have any clue?

eljay
Common Wiggler

Post by eljay » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:30 am

I'm not an expert but if I was looking at this for myself I would start with the following.

In the documentation Ray provides for the Vari-Clock module, at the start of the description for Schematic Page 2, Ray states :-

"Here we see the other half of U7 dual flip flop (U7-B) which is used to divide the main clock's frequency in half. The Q output is used for the multi-gate functionality."

Given that you are only seeing half the number of expected gates it may be that the source of the problem is in this area. It might be the CD4013B chip itself, or a dry joint on one of it's connections (the relevant pins are 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ,13) or one of the components around it is either incorrect in value or orientation, faulty or has a dry joint. For example Q3, R59, R60, R61, D9 and D10.

I hope this enables you to start looking in the right place.

Return to “Music From Outer Space”