nw2s::o16 DIY SMT kit interest?

Discussion, support, and resources for our noise making modules and kits.

Moderators: Kent, scottwilson

scottwilson
Wiggling with Experience

nw2s::o16 DIY SMT kit interest?

Post by scottwilson » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:56 am

Anyone interested in an nw2s::o16 DIY kit? It's SMT with the smallest part as 0805 and the IC's are all SOIC sized. Nearly 100 resistors capacitors and diodes plus about 10 ICs. Totally doable with some patience. Would be around $100 or so complete.

I need to do another run of them assembled and have some parts for the kits if there's enough interest. Hit me up sw@nw2s.net if so. If there's enough interest, I'll put some kits together for holiday soldering fun.

For more details about this module: https://nw2s.net/products/nw2s-o16-unbalanced

(Yes, I've been away from MW for quite some time. When it was crashing all the time it was more frustrating to use than not... so I just stopped using it... Seems like it's been stable for a while now... might start posting from time to time again)
nw2s.net

hpsounds
the french icelander

Re: nw2s::o16 DIY SMT kit interest?

Post by hpsounds » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:59 am

Hi Scott,

Your link ends up to a 404 page :despair:

Nice to see you again here (me to btw)

scottwilson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scottwilson » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:15 am

Link edited. Thanks. Not sure how that happened!
nw2s.net

fragletrollet
Veteran Wiggler

Post by fragletrollet » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:07 am

Hey there,

long time ghosting your web, was wondering if you were going out of business cause of the unavailability of your products.
Glad to to hear its not the case. Always been asking myself why there isn't a pcb/panel combo for your I/O modules. I love your design philosophy and visual design.

So sort of giving up on a DIY version of your balanced interfaces ever happening, I've got something diy'ed by using the excellent Tardigrade and Palpigrade pcb's from JLM Audio, whom has much stuff I'm sure would to your taste, has helped me developed a few simple pcb's of my conception for a separate outboatrd API style multichannel modular summing mixing system I've built, with what I can find of suitable and useful sub-module pcbs along the way. I already have a 24 channel summing system with just under 30 little 2520's inside, and am still not sure what would be the best way to interface my modular to it, as its now the central hub of the studio.

I have a few Intellijel That 164x based i/o devices, havent pried them open yet to see if they, as you talk about on your web, use the 1640 version instead of the 1646 as to not add any further gain to the already pretty loud source, but they do have an output pot so I guess they could be using a +6db device with your own choice to attenuate the now boosted signal. Sound's like adding unnecessary noise to the end signal in my understanding of it, if one just attenuates the gain provided by balancing.

I do also have a bunch of transformer based input modules, like Neve line drivers and such, and they seem to like unbalanced outputs just as "bad" as the electronic inputs on the mixer making use of substantial post gain for unity or amplification. Is it really the same -6db difference in both the TX and electronically balanced situations?

The That receveirs/drivers seem to be recognized just as a transformer however, with no altering of gain throught the transformer input other than through it's inherent ratio, most often made up by its output transformers and preceding amplifiers.

Considering I have ADC's that can take 22dBu before clipping if using my main converters, I've also thought that it might just be as well to run straight from the synth to the mixer, utilizing the input stage of the mixer to shave off some excess amplitude from the synthsignals when trying to debalance that already unbalanced signal. Thinking about it, using a conventional opamp electronic output as a module inside my Eurorack, on the same 12v rails as the maxxed out eurorack mixer would probably just result in alot of added distortion, and would need attenuation out the Euro-mixer but before the balancing unit (I'm using the lm4562 which supposedly is almost identical to the lme49720 but much cheaper.... )not to clip the signal when balanced and therefore clipped at the rails. The 4562 also probably should be run at atleast +/-15 for best performance and headroom. Are the That drivers the same, in regards to being able to balance a signal close to the systems rails, and still adding the +6db's if using such a part? Or should one use a 1640 in that case... and they abide to the laws of physics as normal opamps do..? :roll: :sstorm: I suppose so, and that they are just preferred cause of their matched parts, great cmmr and transparent sound. But i'm not too concerned about the balancing itself really, being that my synth is but a few meters from my mixers and patchbays. But I want a system that feels uniform and compatible.

I've have these great Euro mixer modules from L-1 that use modern THAT vca's and matched transistors, sound fabulous (but very different to the API thing, modern and clean) but I always wished I had some more headroom, as without attenuating a whole lot of your sounds on the way to it easily pushes it into clipping territory. Would be nice to have the (euro)mixer hoover just a few volts above the saturation point of the rest of the synth, makes you feel a little safer when working with very dynamic sounds etc. And as much as the modern IC designs I've heard they behave quite differently sonically in how they break up when approaching their headroom limit. Something I've never to my knowledge managed to do with my GAR2520's running on +/-16v (the direct outputs on my outboard mixer, That 1646's, clip way before the Gar2520's on the inputs of the mixer does. And then you have 990/918/AM A10 amps tolerating up to bipolar 28V's.... how can one tell how that directly affects headroom available? Yeah, different amps, different rules... but I've not yet understood how to tell how to determine increased headroom with increasing the supply range, or if there is a general mathematical principle to it or left to the design.

But I'm sure my GAR's would easily hang out with my Eventide H8000's with their something like +26dBu full scale inputs without sounding bad ("oddly" enough, the h8000's sound great when overdriven straight into their AD, and I would presume they would use modern IC alternatives or proprietary discrete but modern designs that usually break up very abruptly when they finally reach their limit. It (hitting the 8K's ADC) sure sounds nothing like a 1646 crapping out at +/-16v, wich in turn sounds far better to so many other "modern" ic designs used in i/o circuits.

Ranting over here, but just know that if you made you're discrete opamp/output TX modules open for DIY in form of say a pcb/panel combo, I'd get a bunch from you. Literally all my projects stop manifesting themselves when it comes to putting it in an enclosure or behind a front panel. Been literally designing on the front panels of some of my projects for years... while the project was built in a day or whatever.

Just like my music... Piles of tunes ppl would enjoy that are never released because of that last 10% of effort of letting go of it and moving on. Almost like one could read our personal shortcomings through these traits.... whait, this ain't the right forum, nothing wrong with my head, I just need another module to fix my "problem"... :lol: and ofcourse one based on vintage pro audio would do so inconceivably better! :lol:

Sorry for the rambling, if you're still reading.... im off to build a pultec in a corner or something. Or a modular using only 2520 opamps to make distorted fart sounds to validate my expensive and likely ignorant obsession :omg:

Return to “nw2s”