Finally got a Tenori:ON!

Yamaha shut down all support - let this instrument live on here!

Moderators: Kent, ritchiedrums, Paranormal Patroler

unexpectedbowtie
Veteran Wiggler

Finally got a Tenori:ON!

Post by unexpectedbowtie » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:47 am

I've been looking for one for ageeees at a decent price, and finally picked up one of the orange models on eBay. Here's my first jam with internal sounds.

I got one of the MIDI cables from Thomann, and I'm especially excited to use it as a MIDI controller. The firmware from Pikablue makes it so much more capable! Though I do get a crash when I try save the default settings unfortunately. Will share my other adventures with it here...

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Re: Finally got a Tenori:ON!

Post by ersatzplanet » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:26 am

I see you use push mode to play "lead lines", I use "Solo" mode for that. it allows the columns to play the notes and the farther the rows you go, the faster it plays the notes. At the bottom, it is basically solid so plays like a button keyboard. One of the first things to do is get rid of the modes you never use. For me, mine is setup with just Score (for sequences), Push (for drones), Draw (for melody lines), and one Solo (for live leads).

I have a old laptop with Reason on it that has voices mapped to similar voices on the T-O so I can write stuff on the go, then come back to the studio to play with better voices. I also use a old E-mu Proteus that only use now is to be played by the T-O. Older multi-channel, multi-voiced MIDI boxes can be gotten pretty cheap. They are perfect for the T-O.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:32 am

Thanks for posting! Definitely makes a hardware model tempting. (Been enjoying the app but this looks and sounds so much nicer)

"All my friends are synths" in the intro had me chuckling. Same!

unexpectedbowtie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by unexpectedbowtie » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:06 pm

ersatzplanet wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:26 am
I see you use push mode to play "lead lines", I use "Solo" mode for that. it allows the columns to play the notes and the farther the rows you go, the faster it plays the notes. At the bottom, it is basically solid so plays like a button keyboard. One of the first things to do is get rid of the modes you never use. For me, mine is setup with just Score (for sequences), Push (for drones), Draw (for melody lines), and one Solo (for live leads).

I have a old laptop with Reason on it that has voices mapped to similar voices on the T-O so I can write stuff on the go, then come back to the studio to play with better voices. I also use a old E-mu Proteus that only use now is to be played by the T-O. Older multi-channel, multi-voiced MIDI boxes can be gotten pretty cheap. They are perfect for the T-O.
Smart! Though that means I have to remember more info about the grid, and you over-estimate my abilities haha. I hear you on the idea of writing stuff on the go, then transposing it to something with better voices. That's one of my favourite things about the Tenori!

unexpectedbowtie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by unexpectedbowtie » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:08 pm

EPTC wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:32 am
Thanks for posting! Definitely makes a hardware model tempting. (Been enjoying the app but this looks and sounds so much nicer)

"All my friends are synths" in the intro had me chuckling. Same!
I have no flesh friends. :'(

You can pick up the orange models for good prices! The white LED ones are still very pricey - at least here in the UK. I've got a 256 Monome, but the Tenori makes much more sense, for a bunch of different reasons.

Return to “Tenori-On”