Fourses/Fyrall experience?

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

DonovanDwyer
Common Wiggler

Fourses/Fyrall experience?

Post by DonovanDwyer » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:49 pm

I have an opportunity to obtain a Fyrall and did a deep dive today to find demos/reviews/etc, only to discover very little out there… most was from CL’s own site and some old posts on this forum. Anyone using them these days? Anything to be wary of?

d42kn355
Common Wiggler

Re: Fourses/Fyrall experience?

Post by d42kn355 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:00 pm

I asked Peter a while back for permission to throw all of the old ASCION recordings up on the youtubes.

FO indicates it was made with FOURCES
FY indicates it was made with FYRALL

FYRALL seems amazing, I just purchased one myself! am waiting for it now :D

Which FYRALL are you getting? Old style with the pegs, or newer Ovalsynth FYRALL?
If Ovalsynth, I suggest checking out Triangles channel on the youtubes

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:03 pm

I sold my sprott but I want to buy fourses. I won't go into the reasons for selling sprott here. I just want to say that fourses is a sweet noise module that is also a sweet quad LFO. Nothing else really does that in eurorack. It does have some DC offset in the audio but that is part of it. It can be good or bad.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

DonovanDwyer
Common Wiggler

Post by DonovanDwyer » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:26 pm

d42kn355 wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:00 pm

Which FYRALL are you getting? Old style with the pegs, or newer Ovalsynth FYRALL?
It’s the peg version, with one of the original cases.

Those demos are really promising. I like the “ghost in the machine” quality. I think it will go well with Soma instruments…

DonovanDwyer
Common Wiggler

Post by DonovanDwyer » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:29 pm

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:03 pm
I sold my sprott but I want to buy fourses. I won't go into the reasons for selling sprott here. I just want to say that fourses is a sweet noise module that is also a sweet quad LFO. Nothing else really does that in eurorack. It does have some DC offset in the audio but that is part of it. It can be good or bad.
I’m not really clear on the differences between Fourses and Fyrall. They’re obviously similar.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:39 pm

DonovanDwyer wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:29 pm
EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:03 pm
I’m not really clear on the differences between Fourses and Fyrall. They’re obviously similar.
I know nothing about fyrall. Nothing on the panel is labeled. PB strikes again. you can watch the official video PB did about the first 4 IFM eurorack modules. He will tell you about what he is eating. He talks about Tweeting. He sounds high as fuck. But the sprott and fourses sound AMAZING. Swoop and Dunst are things I can patch with other modules. They are a crutch for a synthesist looking for an easy prepatched module. That is more of a preference than an actual criticism though.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

DonovanDwyer
Common Wiggler

Post by DonovanDwyer » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:45 pm

If you listen to the (awesome) demos here, obviously they are related…

https://www.ciat-lonbarde.net/fyrall/index.html

It’s hard for me to rationalize a Coco or something as coveted as that, but a more under-the-radar C-L instrument like the Fyrall I can get behind.

d42kn355
Common Wiggler

Post by d42kn355 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:55 pm

theyre quite a bit different.

https://web.archive.org/web/20060604055 ... k/FFSE.GIF

Top board is Fourses Zi, Fourses Hai, and Intersexon.

Bottom board is FYRALL

d42kn355
Common Wiggler

Post by d42kn355 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:57 pm

I guess you could say Fyrall is an Analog Noise Computer and Fources is an Analog Noise/Rhythm Machine. :D

DonovanDwyer
Common Wiggler

Post by DonovanDwyer » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:48 pm

d42kn355 wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:57 pm
I guess you could say Fyrall is an Analog Noise Computer and Fources is an Analog Noise/Rhythm Machine. :D
Thanks for the comparison :)

How much does the audio input of the Fyrall affect the sound it generates?

fluxmonkey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fluxmonkey » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:34 pm

d42kn355 wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:57 pm
i have both (original versions), and most often use the Fryall as a CV generator driving the Fourses as the primary sound source.
www.fluxmonkey.com

BUILDER FOR HIRE - kits or custom, email me with your needs

d42kn355
Common Wiggler

Post by d42kn355 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:02 am

"There are two kittennettiks, with completely different systems of paradox. Here is an introduction

fourses in the zi-hai is a chaotic wave-tank. the "fourses idea" uses four wigglers-oscillators which bounce off of each other, creating chaotic loops which are always in the process of rediscovering themselves and their multiple dimensions of phase... there are two of these wave-tanks: fourses zi and fourses hai. they come together in the middle of the instrument for some multpilication and weirdiplication in the intersexon. The fourses is great to play with only your hands, because it has a lot of timbral variety. Connecting pins makes it wilder and it can become very chaotic.

the spesal cuck is a feature common to both ktnk. it is a peg separated from the rest because it controls the whole instrument. on fourses, the spesal cuck controls the power supply, so you can have one signal actually turning the whole instrument on and off.

fyrall is a multo-jungo-world dialer, it is a freak. Within, it has three electronic wheels, one made out of wigglers, one made out of digital counting temples, and the third reconnects the others. at every move it may be in a state of internal paradox. it is always looking for a state of rest and it can never find it. Experimenting on the fyrall is fun because new rewirings will cause it to spasm in the weirdest ways.

on the fyrall, the spesal cuck modulates all the voltage references used in the instrument."

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:22 am

Great + useful infos. Thx a lot fluxmonkey and d42kn355 :tu:

bunkerspreckles
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bunkerspreckles » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:20 am

If folks don't mind my asking, I'm curious where these OG Fyrall kits/pcbs are being sourced. I've seen more than one thread about acquiring them recently. Thanks!

d42kn355
Common Wiggler

Post by d42kn355 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:50 pm

Well, I simply got lucky on Reverb lol.
Someone was selling one he built years ago.

The boards that popped up recently I made (cloned for myself, not for sale), But ive only given them out to 2 people, nobody in this thread.

bunkerspreckles
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bunkerspreckles » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:36 pm

@d42kn355
AHA, I see. I was also referencing this thread (https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic. ... s#p3620996) , and misread some things above in this one here and got the impression there had been 3 other kits found in the wild somewhere. Anyhow, thanks.
Will stay tuned for info on how your clones turn out.

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:37 am

bunkerspreckles wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:36 pm
I was also referencing this thread (https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic. ... s#p3620996) , and misread some things above in this one here and got the impression there had been 3 other kits found in the wild somewhere.
The Fyrall and Fourses full kits (with wood cases and so on) I mentionned in the thread you're refering to were a part of a trade with someone who had them untouched for a long time.

d42kn355
Common Wiggler

Post by d42kn355 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:45 am

Been posting a bunch of Fyrall stuffs on my IG ^_^

So whats crazy is the one I received is VERSION TREE (Version 3) of the Fyrall board!!
It actually has the symbols (paper circuit style) for the Speaker output, Preamp Outputs, and Spesal Cuck.

The Lower Preamp was moved up to the top near the other "studio output" preamp.

The Spesal Cuck has 2 nodes (one for 1/4" and 1 for a copper node) instead of just 1.

All of the silkscreen "rivers" that were flowing with the long traces are gone.

Really neat to see the evolution of the board!

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”