Favorite Plumbutter friends

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

heliophis
Learning to Wiggle

Favorite Plumbutter friends

Post by heliophis » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:19 pm

What are you favorite instruments to pair with your Plumbutter?

I've recently acquired a Plumbutter and am deeply in love with it. I love making drones and processing sounds with it and it has quickly become the central piece in my small setup. Now I'm interested in tools to help me extent the PB's range of sound a little bit and help introduce some melody.

My plan was to use my organelle as a processor for the PB but I'm a little disappointed with it as most patches are mono and I've become completely addicted to PB's Stereo image. Having clouds is reason enough to keep it though.

Here's some I'm considering:

Deerhorn : Cross patching it with PB sounds incredible from the examples I've seen.

make noise 0- CTRL: I've heard this is a cool pair to the PB to help with some more melodic content by patching into the purples. As anyone here have any experience with it?

Zoia-this might be a much better sound processor than the organelle.

Hologram Microcosm - maybe less versatile than the zoia but looks like a fun pair as well.

Cocoquantus - I'll get it one of these days but definitely can't afford it for now. But I'd love to have a better idea of what you can coax out of the PB with coco's help. Will it help introduce some melody into the plumbutter?

Ouroboros Alea- I'm very curious with this one and wondering if anyone here has one and if it's safe to play with Plumbutter.

If you have other favorites, I'm all hears.
Thanks everybody!
Last edited by heliophis on Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jimmie
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Favorite Plumbutter friends

Post by jimmie » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:44 pm

Rolzer! :hihi:
If I have to choose one, Sidrax (Quatrax better absolutely). It really compliments each other, I think.
Coco is a very different beast in _my_ musical sense as a companion for PB. if you like to use deep mod/time effects to PB maybe this doesn't apply. I like PB's raw sound and tend to think it's nice with acoustic instruments rather than synthesizer or alike. Noise instrument pairs nice, tho.

timeforest
Common Wiggler

Post by timeforest » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:44 pm

+1 for rolzer

stuber too

in terms of non c-l, i really like pb with bastl thyme and drolo stretch weaver

Noctopolis
Common Wiggler

Post by Noctopolis » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:15 am

If I have to pick one of the other c-l instruments: Sidrax. Works great with the AVDogs, Ultrasound and Deerhorn.
Next: Deerhorn.
Outside the family: Lorre Mill Double Knot. Adds precision and oomph to PB:s floatiness and is so good to sync different parts with. Seems like the O Alea works in similar ways.
Recent album: Perelandra https://noctopolis.bandcamp.com/

nrdvrgr
Working at NASA on acid

Post by nrdvrgr » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:56 am

Double Knot has been a good companion for mine, also the Sigil Instruments xRolls. The Serge is also a splendid companion.

srogers
Common Wiggler

Post by srogers » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:47 pm

Noctopolis wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:15 am
Adds precision and oomph to PB:s floatiness
Came here to suggest DK as well and this describes perfectly how I felt about it

szzdz
Common Wiggler

Post by szzdz » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:46 pm

have been thinking about this a bit ever since my pb touched down. the best pair I’ve found so far is two metasonix rk4s - essentially two extra drum voices from the D1000 that are somehow even fatter than the gongues and the filter can overdrive like crazy. have an rk3 on the way as well and i’m excited to ring mod the av dogs and the deerhorn together for extra crust.

thinking about picking up a serge panel soon and using the pb as a pseudo gator panel for rhythmic bubble bath madness!

ST UF FLI N EAR
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ST UF FLI N EAR » Sat May 29, 2021 4:13 pm

What did you get @Heliophis?
Im thinking Sidrax, but all of the Xrolls, Roolz, Rollzers are very interesting too.

ST UF FLI N EAR
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ST UF FLI N EAR » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:02 pm

And... I thought Plum & Coco was the most familiar pair.
Isnt that so?

bibleblack
Common Wiggler

Post by bibleblack » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:37 am

I have a coco and plum they do play great together but I tend to use them separately.

I like plumbutter either on its own or with some noisier instruments (made a diy fourses and lots and lots of rollz) I'm also just finishing off a serge sequencer box containing a sequential switch, nlc bindubbah and a and/or section to use to add some progression to the plumbutter as I can sometimes find it a little static.

As for external effects the only one I really use is beads tonadd extra squiggly bits, and the smallest hint of reverb.

ST UF FLI N EAR
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ST UF FLI N EAR » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:13 pm

bibleblack wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:37 am

I like plumbutter either on its own or with some noisier instruments (made a diy fourses and lots and lots of rollz) I'm also just finishing off a serge sequencer box containing a sequential switch, nlc bindubbah and a and/or section to use to add some progression to the plumbutter as I can sometimes find it a little static.
Sweet! Let us know how that seq box project went!
Would love to try that also. Although building some rollz would maybe be a better start.

rmro
Common Wiggler

Post by rmro » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:48 am

Cocoquantus - the feedback and modulation loops really expand the palette

snoisy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by snoisy » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:45 pm

Bug Brand PT delay and x filter, both have banana inputs for modulation, sound great with PB

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”