Old school jungle sample aliasing?

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

D33K
Learning to Wiggle

Old school jungle sample aliasing?

Post by D33K » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:46 pm

Apologies in advance for the n00b question. Came across this track and was wanting to know what exactly is going on and how it's achieved.
I'm assuming it's probably some Akai sampler, but haven't heard this effect before.

It sounds like the sample is played, then quickly reversed and quickly pitched down. During the pitch down, there is some cool stepping/aliasing/jumping effect that I really like. Not sure if any of this is correct as I'm just guessing as to what's going on here

The sample starts about 4:24 and the aliasing effect occurs at 4:27-28

Can any experts tell me what is going on, how this is achieved and possibly what hardware they're using?

ATW
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Old school jungle sample aliasing?

Post by ATW » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:54 pm

https://the-akaizer-project.blogspot.com/ might be what you’re looking for. It’s that old school sampler sound:

The AKAIZER Project
Akaizer is a freeware application for Windows / macOS / Linux which can time stretch (and/or pitch shift) any WAVE or AIFF sound file in the style of the 'cyclic' time stretch which featured on old Akai sound samplers, like the S950 / S1000 / S2000 / S3000 series. This is ideal for DAW-based music producers who want that classic metallic-sounding effect, as used in many old school Hardcore / Jungle / Speed Garage tunes from the 1990s, without the need for an actual Akai sampler.
ᴍᴏᴅᴜʟᴀʀ ɢʀɪᴅ ⟡ 9U 168 + Palette + Pod ⟡ ᴍᴜsɪᴄ ATW on SoundCloud

Breezewax
Common Wiggler

Post by Breezewax » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:22 pm

Pete Cannon would be a person to look at he makes this stuff now using the old equipment, absolute legend.

Sounds like 3 samples:
-The main ravey stab,

-theres a high pitched one almost sounds like a rewind that comes in ms after the first one, could be an effect of the first one?
closest thing i have that would make something like that would be soundtoys crystallizer but youd have to experiment a lot and degrade the sound (i think they have demos and they have great black friday deals)

-and a dark pad/reversed sample almost breathing?.

Then the "tape stop" effect which you could do with the samples loaded into a sampler and use pitch bend on your midi keyboard?

The Akaizer is great for those classic jungle vocals, I also use the RX950 vst and D16 Decimort for sample degradation similar to the lower bitrates of those old samplers.

nuromantix
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nuromantix » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:24 am

I would bet this was done on an Amiga. Sounds too grungey for akai. S950 and 900 have a vibe but not as gnarly as this.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:33 am

pete cannon rules
TOO FAR GONE

magicdust
Common Wiggler

Post by magicdust » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:33 am

Checkout alm mum m8 for euro breaks processing. Gives that 12 bit sound from a classic jungle sampler. S950

The Junglechrist
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:46 am

Indeed the Akaizer is a blast for those type of beats. If you use a DAW there is a very good real time solution that I have been using for almost ten years called dBlue Stretch that you can get for free here : https://illformed.org/

As with this one you can automate the time factor and grain size you can get some very wild results.

D33K
Learning to Wiggle

Post by D33K » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:24 pm

nuromantix wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:24 am
I would bet this was done on an Amiga. Sounds too grungey for akai. S950 and 900 have a vibe but not as gnarly as this.
Yes, that was what I was thinking... haven't found any Akai demos that sounded like it.

jbuonacc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jbuonacc » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:30 pm

late seeing this, but it sounds like it's just the same sample looped/repeated and played on different keys/pitches. (??) maybe originally a vinyl "spin up/down"? i don't think "aliasing" is what you're hearing.

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:33 pm

Akaizer or the FL Studio sampler can do this with ease
It's not aliasing.

However getting to something like this is much harder.

But can also be done with the FL sampler and Akaizer.
Also the TAL Sampler is worth a mention https://tal-software.com/products/tal-sampler

wuff_miggler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:57 pm

This sounds like a high pitched sample probably off one of the classic jungle sampler cds just in a tracker - being played at different pitches + retriggered
I dont think i hear any aliasing on this.

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:03 pm

The retriggering makes it sound like an amiga/tracker, but yeah, no real hardcore aliasing. Old Akais don’t produce prominent aliasing out of the box.

Kent
Curator/Janitor/Zookeeper

Post by Kent » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:52 pm

wuff_miggler wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:57 pm
This sounds like a high pitched sample probably off one of the classic jungle sampler cds just in a tracker - being played at different pitches + retriggered
I dont think i hear any aliasing on this.
Yeah, agreed, I couldn’t hear the aliasing so didn’t know what song he was trying to pinpoint. :despair:

borututu f.
Learning to Wiggle

Post by borututu f. » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:59 pm

Cool tracks in this thread! As TAL Sampler was already mentioned I'll recommendPiggy Tracker, where you can get some gritty sound when transposing samples, especially if you turn off interpolation and lower sample- and bitrates. If you need to mimic it inside your DAW you could try using Oldigy and maybe a bit of Iron Oxide (both free VSTs).

Rost + Licht
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Rost + Licht » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:33 am

The Rossum Assimil8tor impresses me with this quite a lot. It can Sound very high fi and has loads of headroom. You can apply (live and cvable) fluid bit reduction and aliasing. Maybe the combination of the general high fi sound with these functions brings out the artefacts in such a pleasant way but in the end; it just sounds stellar.

Also not having to fuck around with sampling but being able to do this live is cool

Chopper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:11 pm

Double post, sorry...
Last edited by Chopper on Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chopper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:53 pm

If you repeatedly enter the same midi note in like 96th and draw an ascending automation for the same starting point, you get something similar....

jbuonacc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jbuonacc » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:33 pm

you're all talking about something different. :despair:

aliasing/grunge and timestretch have nothing to do with the OP's example, it's just a sample played at different pitches.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Thu May 06, 2021 10:15 pm

Sounds like a sample played at different speeds/pitches without time stretch. This was the default before pitch corrected time stretch or time corrected repitch. I did it in fruity loops 1.3. didn't have money for the MPC2000 but I knew some hip hop producers who did. I knew a jungle guy who got signed using the Roland sp808ex. It was a 4 track but you could mix down and resample so he did. When I got into creative labs sound fonts and newer versions of fruity loops the idea of samples being pitched with constant time was really mind blowing. The Roland variphrase was pretty amazing for the time but it had a software glitch that made it freeze randomly. It was never patched btw so that was a $1400 paper weight.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

artilect99
Common Wiggler

Post by artilect99 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:10 pm

To me the pitch-stepping effect sounds like a part of the sample -- it sounds like a toy laser gun type sound, perhaps being played across several pitches. Early jungle was full of these "dub siren"/test tone/frequency sweep type sounds, part of its dub/dancehall lineage I guess. But I'd bet money it's just a sample of a toy laser gun.

wuff_miggler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:42 pm

^ they had diy noise box generators @ the time.

Return to “Production Techniques”