Voting open for your top 3 tracks in our Odd Meter Remix/ReMangle/Reimagine Challenge

Prizes generously donated by:
ADDAC System (Eurorack 3U)
Endorphin.es (Eurorack 3U)
Fred's Lab (DIY Paraphonic Synth)
Northern Light Modular (Buchla-format h-series OR Eurorack3U)
Rattly and Raw (Wiggler Approved Kontakt Instrument)
Studio.h (Buchla-format 4U)

Get your vote on and free 42 minute modular playlist for your listening pleasure.

Higher end/vintage small mixers

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

metamorphmuses
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Higher end/vintage small mixers

Post by metamorphmuses » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:10 pm

BailyDread wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:19 pm
Any recs for an ultra-small mixer without preamps that prioritizes clarity and punch? I have a Midas Venice f16 and I like it but it has many more channels than I need and it’s kinda cumbersome. Plus I don’t use the preamps much.

Kinda just looking for something that can take 4 DI’ed signals coming from a small Eurorack rig and allow for some panning and maybe eq. Sum them and go through an FMR RNC as a bus comp. I don’t need sends or anything since I mostly work in the box after tracking.

The ssl x desk would check all the boxes and then some but they’re pretty pricy so just wondering if there are other options. Maybe this is too specific, idk.
I was looking for a mixer like you describe and at various points almost plunked down for the SSL X-Desk.

I can't speak to the sound quality, but at one point I was interested to try out a Roland M-160.
It's not like we can go to some kind of gear library and check out a copy of a mixer to test — it would be a relief if we could. But at the price that these mixers are going for on the used market, I almost took the plunge (but then reconsidered because if it's not up to snuff selling it off again would be a pain).

Another line of thinking I almost explored is matrix mixers. Hinton Instruments has a reputation for quality sound and makes the MatrixMix — 8 mono in, 4 mono out, no mic preamps, and the most flexible routing you can have (any incoming signal can be routed to any outgoing chain). It's not cheap, and you have to buy a suitable enclosure for it as it's 110mm deep, but if the sound is of the quality I am led to believe it is, then it's not an excessive price point.

I decided against the MatrixMix for the same reason that I decided against the X-Desk: no built-in EQ.

In the end, the Speck Xtramix stands out as a great choice, unless you are attached to faders like I am, in which case you would also need the ViaFader that wuff_miggler is suggesting. But all of that easily matches or exceeds the cost of the X-Desk.

By the way, for anyone looking for a deal on a Speck Xtramix, there's an older CX model on Reverb right now on sale for $2125 with free shipping. I don't know if you can attach a ViaFader to it like you can to the current X6 model, though.

deft_bonz
Ultra Wiggler

Post by deft_bonz » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:12 am

BailyDread wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:35 am
Awooga :woah:

Epic setup :tu:
Thanks. Below is a more recent picture, where all my 500-slots are filled. Some modules took almost 8 months to arrive :goo:
Stice wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:57 am
Nice setup! Very interested to see if/what SSL replaces the x-desk with.

Interesting to see Elysia mixed in with the rest- For whatever reason I can never quite tell from demos if they play in the same league. That’s probably just price bias though, if I’m being honest.
Thanks. It's paradise to work. Noisy but analog, more knobs to feel :yay:

Elysia has great gear. I'd put them on the sweet clean side, not as "rounded" as for example the Harrison 32EQ, but more pristine. Not "dirty" like the Chandler Little Devils or Opto/Germanium.

I fear that day, when the SSL mixer goes dead beyond repair (for what ever reason). It will become a huge hassle to swap it out. I hope it never happens.

notmiserlouagain
Ultra Wiggler

Post by notmiserlouagain » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:27 am

deft_bonz wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:12 am
I fear that day, when the SSL mixer goes dead beyond repair (for what ever reason). It will become a huge hassle to swap it out. I hope it never happens.
What should that be? It can always be repaired. It´s main raison d´etre is the cleverness of design and function and that won´t go away :hail:
He who eats with most pleasure is he who least requires sauce.
Xenophon

deft_bonz
Ultra Wiggler

Post by deft_bonz » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:38 am

notmiserlouagain wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:27 am
deft_bonz wrote:
What should that be? It can always be repaired. It´s main raison d´etre is the cleverness of design and function and that won´t go away :hail:
Fire, truck over, alien desintegrator, such things :help: :mrgreen:

Or stolen :goo:

BailyDread
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BailyDread » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:46 am

deft_bonz wrote:
BailyDread wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:35 am
Awooga :woah:

Epic setup :tu:
Thanks. Below is a more recent picture, where all my 500-slots are filled. Some modules took almost 8 months to arrive :goo:

Just gorgeous :tu:

Nice taste in monitoring too! I’ve always been a closed cab guy too

Is that a bricasti remote?? That’s gotta sound epic

deft_bonz
Ultra Wiggler

Post by deft_bonz » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:53 am

BailyDread wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:46 am

Just gorgeous :tu:

Nice taste in monitoring too! I’ve always been a closed cab guy too

Is that a bricasti remote?? That’s gotta sound epic

Yes, it's a Bricasti remote. A dream came true there. Incredible reverb.

wuff_miggler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:52 pm

^ seconding comments on your set up there deft_bonz...really awesome :-)

belfordroxo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by belfordroxo » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:13 pm

So the new SSL BigSix just popped up on the StudioCare website:
https://studiocare.com/products/ssl-big ... -interface

Ticking a lot of boxes…

metamorphmuses
Ultra Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:06 pm

Nice! If I hadn't already sorted this out for myself, this would be a contender as it meets many of the specifications I was looking for. It even features regular 1/4" / 6.35mm jacks instead of DB25 connectors.

Stice
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Stice » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:10 pm

deft_bonz wrote:
Nice studio
What desk is that, btw?
Turn on. Plug in. Slew down.

HenryBurlingame
Veteran Wiggler

Post by HenryBurlingame » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:19 pm

belfordroxo wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:13 pm
So the new SSL BigSix just popped up on the StudioCare website:
https://studiocare.com/products/ssl-big ... -interface

Ticking a lot of boxes…
OMG this is like my dream come true. And 1/4". And it is a usb interface. And it is not insanly expensive (hopefully). I hope I can save the money for this next year, ugh. Might be worth selling some of my other stuff (like my current mixer :-) )...

Scatre
Common Wiggler

Post by Scatre » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:35 pm

FINALLY

HenryBurlingame
Veteran Wiggler

Post by HenryBurlingame » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:45 pm

Scatre wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:35 pm
FINALLY
Your avatar is how I imagine I looked when I saw the leak :hihi:

Scatre
Common Wiggler

Post by Scatre » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:52 pm

HenryBurlingame wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:45 pm
Scatre wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:35 pm
FINALLY
Your avatar is how I imagine I looked when I saw the leak :hihi:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for breaking it! This corrects almost every one of the Six's shortcomings. Stoked to get one.

BailyDread
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BailyDread » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:55 pm

Wow, now that is really something. That does indeed check a whole lot of boxes. I have the feeling those may become kinda ubiquitous. It seems the interface would let you use it as a summing mixer? That could be superb. Get some of that nice EQ and dynamics going on and use the sends for a little bit of live embellishment, glue it all with the buss comp… nice :)

HenryBurlingame
Veteran Wiggler

Post by HenryBurlingame » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:21 pm

BailyDread wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:55 pm
Wow, now that is really something. That does indeed check a whole lot of boxes. I have the feeling those may become kinda ubiquitous. It seems the interface would let you use it as a summing mixer? That could be superb. Get some of that nice EQ and dynamics going on and use the sends for a little bit of live embellishment, glue it all with the buss comp… nice :)
I am really surprised it took this long for a small high quality mixer to come out. It has been years of fruitless searching for me and I imagine many others, so you might be right. I am glad now that I didn't set up a 500 series rack to do the same thing.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:31 pm

I see it's possible to chain multiple devices but does anyone see aux sends? I guess these things are not to be used to feed a tape recorder.

metamorphmuses
Ultra Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:39 pm

slumberjack wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:31 pm
I see it's possible to chain multiple devices but does anyone see aux sends? I guess these things are not to be used to feed a tape recorder.
As far as I can tell, you can route to the master stereo bus and two stereo cue buses, so the routing may be one of the features you have to trade away for its relative compactness (though I have to say even just having the two stereo buses would not be insubstantial). There may be other routing tricks that are hard to discern from the outside, like I would imagine there are probably direct outs on the four Superanalogue tracks, and you could leverage the external inputs as effect returns. The little SiX had some tricks up its proverbial sleeve of this kind, so I can only imagine the Big Six will too.

deft_bonz
Ultra Wiggler

Post by deft_bonz » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:07 am

Stice wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:10 pm
deft_bonz wrote:
Nice studio
What desk is that, btw?
If you mean the furniture, it's Argosy.

naturligfunktion
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by naturligfunktion » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:48 am

wuff_miggler wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:28 pm
The speck via fader will do that:

http://www.speck.com/viafader/viafader.html

you can expand to add 500 series channel strip/eq/comps etc.

just as expensive though :/
Why do you link these nice things? I have just started to accept that I don't need physical faders, working in the box is not that bad.

Now I want everything on that site :lol:

@deft_bonz: Very nice setup mate
New murky music that will take you on a journey through a land of mystery and wonder:

Bandcamp

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:09 am

metamorphmuses wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:39 pm
slumberjack wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:31 pm
As far as I can tell, you can route to the master stereo bus and two stereo cue buses, so the routing may be one of the features you have to trade away for its relative compactness (though I have to say even just having the two stereo buses would not be insubstantial). There may be other routing tricks that are hard to discern from the outside, like I would imagine there are probably direct outs on the four Superanalogue tracks, and you could leverage the external inputs as effect returns. The little SiX had some tricks up its proverbial sleeve of this kind, so I can only imagine the Big Six will too.
Yes I did see these cue busses and am curious about more details. :)

Kawouddd
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:15 am

Right, can I show my ignorance here? (Obviously I can, any answers appreciated :miley: )

It's 12 channels, right? 4 stereo, 4 mono?! (I am misunderstanding this, I think.)

Why is it called the 'big six'?

I am confident I am misunderstanding something, and even more confident that I don't yet understand mixers at all!

metamorphmuses
Ultra Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:26 am

Kawouddd wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:15 am
Right, can I show my ignorance here? (Obviously I can, any answers appreciated :miley: )

It's 12 channels, right? 4 stereo, 4 mono?! (I am misunderstanding this, I think.)

Why is it called the 'big six'?

I am confident I am misunderstanding something, and even more confident that I don't yet understand mixers at all!
It's called Big SiX because it is a substantial scaling up of the recently discontinued SiX mixer
Last edited by metamorphmuses on Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xmit
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Xmit » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:57 am

when did they annonce the SiX was discontinued ?! :doh:

Return to “Production Techniques”