Voting open for your top 3 tracks in our Odd Meter Remix/ReMangle/Reimagine Challenge

Prizes generously donated by:
ADDAC System (Eurorack 3U)
Endorphin.es (Eurorack 3U)
Fred's Lab (DIY Paraphonic Synth)
Northern Light Modular (Buchla-format h-series OR Eurorack3U)
Rattly and Raw (Wiggler Approved Kontakt Instrument)
Studio.h (Buchla-format 4U)

Get your vote on and free 42 minute modular playlist for your listening pleasure.

Higher end/vintage small mixers

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

metamorphmuses
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Higher end/vintage small mixers

Post by metamorphmuses » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:10 pm

BailyDread wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:19 pm
Any recs for an ultra-small mixer without preamps that prioritizes clarity and punch? I have a Midas Venice f16 and I like it but it has many more channels than I need and it’s kinda cumbersome. Plus I don’t use the preamps much.

Kinda just looking for something that can take 4 DI’ed signals coming from a small Eurorack rig and allow for some panning and maybe eq. Sum them and go through an FMR RNC as a bus comp. I don’t need sends or anything since I mostly work in the box after tracking.

The ssl x desk would check all the boxes and then some but they’re pretty pricy so just wondering if there are other options. Maybe this is too specific, idk.
I was looking for a mixer like you describe and at various points almost plunked down for the SSL X-Desk.

I can't speak to the sound quality, but at one point I was interested to try out a Roland M-160.
It's not like we can go to some kind of gear library and check out a copy of a mixer to test — it would be a relief if we could. But at the price that these mixers are going for on the used market, I almost took the plunge (but then reconsidered because if it's not up to snuff selling it off again would be a pain).

Another line of thinking I almost explored is matrix mixers. Hinton Instruments has a reputation for quality sound and makes the MatrixMix — 8 mono in, 4 mono out, no mic preamps, and the most flexible routing you can have (any incoming signal can be routed to any outgoing chain). It's not cheap, and you have to buy a suitable enclosure for it as it's 110mm deep, but if the sound is of the quality I am led to believe it is, then it's not an excessive price point.

I decided against the MatrixMix for the same reason that I decided against the X-Desk: no built-in EQ.

In the end, the Speck Xtramix stands out as a great choice, unless you are attached to faders like I am, in which case you would also need the ViaFader that wuff_miggler is suggesting. But all of that easily matches or exceeds the cost of the X-Desk.

By the way, for anyone looking for a deal on a Speck Xtramix, there's an older CX model on Reverb right now on sale for $2125 with free shipping. I don't know if you can attach a ViaFader to it like you can to the current X6 model, though.

deft_bonz
Ultra Wiggler

Post by deft_bonz » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:12 am

BailyDread wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:35 am
Awooga :woah:

Epic setup :tu:
Thanks. Below is a more recent picture, where all my 500-slots are filled. Some modules took almost 8 months to arrive :goo:
Stice wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:57 am
Nice setup! Very interested to see if/what SSL replaces the x-desk with.

Interesting to see Elysia mixed in with the rest- For whatever reason I can never quite tell from demos if they play in the same league. That’s probably just price bias though, if I’m being honest.
Thanks. It's paradise to work. Noisy but analog, more knobs to feel :yay:

Elysia has great gear. I'd put them on the sweet clean side, not as "rounded" as for example the Harrison 32EQ, but more pristine. Not "dirty" like the Chandler Little Devils or Opto/Germanium.

I fear that day, when the SSL mixer goes dead beyond repair (for what ever reason). It will become a huge hassle to swap it out. I hope it never happens.

notmiserlouagain
Ultra Wiggler

Post by notmiserlouagain » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:27 am

deft_bonz wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:12 am
I fear that day, when the SSL mixer goes dead beyond repair (for what ever reason). It will become a huge hassle to swap it out. I hope it never happens.
What should that be? It can always be repaired. It´s main raison d´etre is the cleverness of design and function and that won´t go away :hail:
He who eats with most pleasure is he who least requires sauce.
Xenophon

deft_bonz
Ultra Wiggler

Post by deft_bonz » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:38 am

notmiserlouagain wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:27 am
deft_bonz wrote:
What should that be? It can always be repaired. It´s main raison d´etre is the cleverness of design and function and that won´t go away :hail:
Fire, truck over, alien desintegrator, such things :help: :mrgreen:

Or stolen :goo:

BailyDread
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BailyDread » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:46 am

deft_bonz wrote:
BailyDread wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:35 am
Awooga :woah:

Epic setup :tu:
Thanks. Below is a more recent picture, where all my 500-slots are filled. Some modules took almost 8 months to arrive :goo:

Just gorgeous :tu:

Nice taste in monitoring too! I’ve always been a closed cab guy too

Is that a bricasti remote?? That’s gotta sound epic

deft_bonz
Ultra Wiggler

Post by deft_bonz » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:53 am

BailyDread wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:46 am

Just gorgeous :tu:

Nice taste in monitoring too! I’ve always been a closed cab guy too

Is that a bricasti remote?? That’s gotta sound epic

Yes, it's a Bricasti remote. A dream came true there. Incredible reverb.

wuff_miggler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:52 pm

^ seconding comments on your set up there deft_bonz...really awesome :-)

Return to “Production Techniques”