Wenn Der Sunwind Weht

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Wenn Der Sunwind Weht

Post by onthebandwagon » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:46 am

What was the lead solos made with?
Last edited by onthebandwagon on Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
I slapped butter all over keys, knobs, cords, smeared screens with Coleslaw, pelted with Reese's Pieces, broke a Twix in half, stuck in... and after... I swung them all over above my head, pirouetted on their corners on top of a shaky rattan diner table spun like tops, but made sure nothing dropped. Toasted coconut n tested for salmonella were found in surprising places weeks after. I had so much fun.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Wenn Der Sunwind Welt

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:31 pm

*Wenn der Südwind weht

I don’t know what he was using. Cluster was using and EQ’d Farfisa Syntorchestra and probably Yamaha YC-45D in the mid 70s. Not sure what he’d picked up by then.

ModHiisi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ModHiisi » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:05 am

Could well be a somewhat treated Syntorchestra. At least Roedelius seemed to use it all over the place after '75, don't know how long he had it (perhaps still)?
Sonic pollution for psychic hygiene

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Wenn Der Sunwind Weht

Post by onthebandwagon » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:46 am

Sorry for the misspelling.

Those solos sound so expressive, so no aftertouch was likely involved, using a mod wheel or whatever to get such expressive playing?
I slapped butter all over keys, knobs, cords, smeared screens with Coleslaw, pelted with Reese's Pieces, broke a Twix in half, stuck in... and after... I swung them all over above my head, pirouetted on their corners on top of a shaky rattan diner table spun like tops, but made sure nothing dropped. Toasted coconut n tested for salmonella were found in surprising places weeks after. I had so much fun.

Pahat_Kengat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Pahat_Kengat » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:03 am

GuyaGuy wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:31 pm
*Wenn der Südwind weht

I don’t know what he was using. Cluster was using and EQ’d Farfisa Syntorchestra and probably Yamaha YC-45D in the mid 70s. Not sure what he’d picked up by then.
At least on Harmonia's studio pics the organ as a part of Roedelius' set-up is a Farfisa VIP-600, which has a wide array of synth-like tones, including the piano sound which both Harmonia's and Roedelius' solo albums of the time have in spades.

It's the organ with a large selection of drawbars directly behind Rother's head. Not the best pic of the set-up. For some reason, detailed pics of Roedelius' gear have vanished from the internet, while similar pictures of Moebius' and Rother's gear can be easily found.

And here's finally a link to Combo Organ Heaven, where info on the VIP-600's voice section etc. can be found. As an owner of a VIP-400, I can attest to these organs being a huge part of Roedelius' sound in the mid and late 70s. 8-)
Last edited by Pahat_Kengat on Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:08 am

Pahat_Kengat wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:03 am

It's the organ with a large selection of drawbars on top left. Not the best pic of the set-up. For some reason, detailed pics of Roedelius' gear have vanished from the internet, while similar pictures of Moebius' and Rother's gear can be easily found.

Considering how loved Wenn Der Sunwind Weht is, their seems to be so little written about it. Maybe it's just my assumption that it is widely appreciated. I should of indicated that I was wondering about the title track specifically. What an extraordinary, emotional piece.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:58 am

onthebandwagon wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:46 am
Sorry for the misspelling.

Those solos sound so expressive, so no aftertouch was likely involved, using a mod wheel or whatever to get such expressive playing?
I think some of that might have been treadle pedals for volume. I know there are pics of him with a few at his feet—probably volume, wah, maybe more.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:07 pm

Pahat_Kengat wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:03 am
GuyaGuy wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:31 pm
*Wenn der Südwind weht

At least on Harmonia's studio pics the organ as a part of Roedelius' set-up is a Farfisa VIP-600, which has a wide array of synth-like tones, including the piano sound which both Harmonia's and Roedelius' solo albums of the time have in spades.

It's the organ with a large selection of drawbars directly behind Rother's head. Not the best pic of the set-up. For some reason, detailed pics of Roedelius' gear have vanished from the internet, while similar pictures of Moebius' and Rother's gear can be easily found.

And here's finally a link to Combo Organ Heaven, where info on the VIP-600's voice section etc. can be found. As an owner of a VIP-400, I can attest to these organs being a huge part of Roedelius' sound in the mid and late 70s. 8-)
Nice, I didn’t know the specs of the VIP-600. I always thought the piano sounds on Cluster LPs were treated acoustic piano signal. Now I’ll have to go back and listen to see if it was an electronic piano!

ModHiisi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ModHiisi » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:43 pm

The Syntorchestra also has A Piano (!) sound in the 'Poli' section, that is highly reminiscent of the non piano piano sound on various Cluster, Harmonia, Roedelius etc. tracks/albums. I'm not sure if they're exactly the same on that and the VIP-600, although there probably is some kind of overlap sonically between those two (I've no experience with a VIP-600 though..). First time I played with a Syntorchestra I got instantly "Immer Wieder" playing in my head.

There's some weird controls on the Mono ('synth') section of the Syntorchestra that make it a surprisingly expressive instrument. It's for example possible to get some strange phaser/wah kind of effects from combining the Vibrato and 'Wah-Wah' (not really a wah, especially only by itself..), and both of the Decays (slider and switch) combined with the Soffiato slider can create some beautiful filter sweeps (perhaps akin to some classic Yamaha synths, or something like that..).
Last edited by ModHiisi on Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sonic pollution for psychic hygiene

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:53 pm

Damn this demo is wild.

Pahat_Kengat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Pahat_Kengat » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:39 am

ModHiisi wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:43 pm
The Syntorchestra also has A Piano (!) sound in the 'Poli' section, that is highly reminiscent of the non piano piano sound on various Cluster, Harmonia, Roedelius etc. tracks/albums. I'm not sure if they're exactly the same on that and the VIP-600, although there probably is some kind of overlap sonically between those two (I've no experience with a VIP-600 though..). First time I played with a Syntorchestra I got instantly "Immer Wieder" playing in my head.

There's some weird controls on the Mono ('synth') section of the Syntorchestra that make it a surprisingly expressive instrument. It's for example possible to get some strange phaser/wah kind of effects from combining the Vibrato and 'Wah-Wah' (not really a wah, especially only by itself..), and both of the Decays (slider and switch) combined with the Soffiato slider can create some beautiful filter sweeps (perhaps akin to some classic Yamaha synths, or something like that..).
Same, when I first tried the VIP-400, it didn't take long at all to get those warm, lo-fi piano and percussion-esque sounds found on Musik von Harmonia. The percussion section, with its snappy and warm plucks, was also instantly reminiscent of Zuckerzeit's Fotschi Tong, when played through a delay.

The VIP-600 has quite an extensive selection of effects (repeater, vibrato, wah-wahs, etc.), I wonder how much overlap there is between these effects and the Syntorchestra's effect section? I haven't had the pleasure of playing either, but I wouldn't be too surprised, if these sections were more or less the same, with some tweaks in how they're used. :roll:

Pahat_Kengat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Pahat_Kengat » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:36 am

Here is a wonderful demo of the Farfisa VIP-600, going through all its functions:

One can definitely hear Achim's favoured sounds all over the accompaniment section. :hihi:

Phil999
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phil999 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:19 am

the Farfisa VIP-600 is a great instrument. I got it for free in the early 90's, and used it a lot. The piano sound, the strings, the pedal bass, the effect sounds, and of course the organ sounds. A wealth of sound for people who could not afford polyphonic analogue synthesisers. Still I don't have one. Sadly it deteriorated when the years passed by, and has gone to the electronic cemetery two years ago. Very robust construction, it could take a beating. But not humidity and old age. RIP dear VIP-600.

Like in the video, I often installed it a bit over the top, heading down. Good memories.

Return to “Production Techniques”