"Remix/ReMangle" Contest now open!

Prizes generously donated by:
ADDAC System (Eurorack 3U)
Endorphin.es (Eurorack 3U)
Fred's Lab (DIY Paraphonic Synth)
Northern Light Modular (Buchla-format h-series)
Rattly and Raw (Wiggler Approved Kontakt Instrument)
Studio.h (Buchla-format 4U)

Show us what "remix" means to you! Create, share, vote, win modules & more! Free gifts too!
Join in here!

Small HP mixer/outs for a small performance rack (104)

Live patching, designs, and techniques that push the performance envelope.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Mooje8
Learning to Wiggle

Small HP mixer/outs for a small performance rack (104)

Post by Mooje8 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:59 pm

Hi all, first topic post for me:

So, I’ve been gaining so much advice here on MW building my first rack since end of the Summer, its just about completed but it is split into a 104P/3U Moog case and a 104/6U rack. My thinking along the way as it was growing in credit card and size was to use the Moog case as a break out box for practice, live performances/sequencing and drum programming etc. In the 'break out' case is a Westlicht Per|former, a 1010 Bitbox Micro sampler (planned but not yet bought), an Erica Synths Wavetable VCO and Quad Drum plus a 2HP DIV for clock divisions..
I want to find a simple outs/mixer even though in my main rack I have WMD PM its all about creating this break away pod in my head.

Tonight I found the Victor Alpha 2 from Modular Maritime. This ticked all my boxes as a potential solution to being able to route in 2-4 euro level sources and have a L/R out for Mr P.A and more important a headphone out for practising. No Monitoring or que on this but thats not an issue.

Just wanted to share this as I can’t find anything else here on MW on the Victor Alpha 2 - this looks like winner to me for my needs, low HP, mixer/pan and HP. A great answer to a small skiff for output to PA etc. Which kinda leads me to my other question I had whilst digging into Modular Grid, why isn't there many if any at all - for less thn 12HP - mixer modules with L/R & HP outputs, er ..out there?

Any thoughts on this from anyone?
Cheers!
Victor Alpha 2

--------------------
From the site:
Victor Alpha 2 is a 4 channel Stereo Panning Mixer / Output module with VU Meter, Headphones amp and Bluetooth connectivity

8hp
35 mm deep
Reverse voltage protected
75mA +12V, 25mA -12V

Details & use:

This mixer takes 4 mono signals, transform them to stereo and allows panoramic control over every mix channel as well as their level.
The potentiometers of panning control are with "center detent" which allows you to always know precisely where is the exact center.

The mix signal is scaled thru op-amps buffers to what will correspond to a line level so the mixer is supposed to be placed at the end of the chain to serve as an Output of your modular.
It has separate Left an Right outputs to be used together for stereo output.
It can of course be used also in typical stereo mixing purposes within the system for stereo patches.

The mixer uses high-performance IC borrowed from Hi-Fi world for the output buffer, with high-speed precision audio- to deliver very low noise, clean sound.

The output signal is indicated by the led VU meter which uses two Matsushita ICs calibrated for that purpose.
The leds are selected for lowest power consumption. (The vu meter can be turned off if desired by taking off two jumpers on the back of the module)

VA 2 has a headphones output with its independent volume control. As always: be careful with your ears especially with modular and its "hot" signals, avoid to listen on high volume level!

VA 2 is also capable to send output via Bluetooth to your wireless speakers/headphones. As all Modulaire Maritime cases can work on batteries/power banks this is a fun addition to make your modular setup portable- to move and play easily anywhere!

Made for more fun with a modular!

Note: BT devices are not a common tool in sound creating environment mainly because of latency which is proper to those devices. Here, this latency not depends entirely of VA2 but also of the BT protocol supported by the receiving/listening device: the more recent devices will have a very minor latency. However unlike other instruments or keyboards, modular synths in certain ways might not be too concerned by this, as we don't feel this much when the sequencer is playing and while we turn the knobs but it will be noticeable when playing a keyboard or in general with any manual quick change, etc. (In fact this rather depends of the style & use -for exemple when used with slow envelopes, drones, ambients, etc. this shouldn't be too noticeable)
Anyway for the more 'serious', studio use you'll use VA2's regular stereo outs while the BT is rather to be taken as a handy gadget. BT circuit is completely isolated from the rest of the circuit -to keep the regular outputs clean and at the same time to keep more quite digital BT device's out in terms of background emitting noise.

Morim
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Small HP mixer/outs for a small performance rack (104)

Post by Morim » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:11 pm

I use a 4ms Listen four.
2 stereo in
2 mono in with panning
modular to line conversion
Headphone out with individual volume
Anti pop on line out.
10hp
:tu:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/4ms-company-listen-four
Check out my project "P°ka YΠke" on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/Kszfy

Mooje8
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mooje8 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:24 am

Oh.. well that looks just the ticket! Looks like I didnt search hard enough then. Thanks!

Mooje8
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mooje8 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:39 am

Just found the Happy Nerding 6HP is available. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/happy-ner ... ereo-mixer
My primary target was 5 or 6 HP max to be honest.

Return to “Play Out! Performance Modulars”