Combo Laptop / Modulars using ES-9

Live patching, designs, and techniques that push the performance envelope.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

pjusk
Learning to Wiggle

Combo Laptop / Modulars using ES-9

Post by pjusk » Tue May 04, 2021 10:38 am

Hi guys! My first post here. I am currently tumbling down the modular rabbit hole and have so far purchased a Morphagene and ordered Beads and ES-9. My main motivation is actually being able to patch the modulars into Ableton Live (and back) using the ES-9. This is probably considered sacrilege to a lot of modular converts, but being able to play live with stems from Ableton and into the modular realm (also using CV Tools) sounds like a dream come true.

Anyone out there with any experience combining laptop / modulars or have some thoughts about what to include in this setup? Am I relying too heavily on the laptop side of things?

Take care.
Jostein.

stringtapper
Common Wiggler

Re: Combo Laptop / Modulars using ES-9

Post by stringtapper » Sun May 23, 2021 4:58 pm

I’m doing the laptop + module thing using Ableton Live 11 and the ES-9. It’s a fantastic combo that opens up a lot of possibilities.

I found that I needed to add the ES-5, ESX-8GT, and ESX-8CV to get the most out of it. With that setup you have 8 channels of anything from the ES-9, 16 channels of gates or clocks from the ES-5/ESX-8GT, and 8 channels of 1v/oct from the ESX-8CV.

All that plus being able to mix on the fly with the APC40 makes it very conducive to live performance.

pjusk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pjusk » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:18 am

Ah. Great info. Thanks! It also occurred to me that I probably should expand the ES-9 in the not-so-far future. Are you using CV Tools or VCV Rack in order to make your modules sing? I am currently looking into using some kind of structured random-generator (Marbles / Turing Machine), but not entirely sure if I should set this up in VCV Rack or in Ableton. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

pjusk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pjusk » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:30 am

Another question: What CV software system should I go for? EZ Silent Way has been around for ages, it seems. Probably a good thing. CV Tools for Ableton seems good and it can be integrated into my workflow, but at the moment CV Toolkit seems like the best platform (since it also features Ableton Link). Any thoughts? And then we have VCV Rack - I guess v2 will have us all drooling?

Jesper(modclubhouse)
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Jesper(modclubhouse) » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:16 pm

Hi all,

I'm starting a series on CV Tools specifically: (and combining it with the ES-9)

Hopefully it helps.

I've also done a deep dive video on the ES-9 with VCV:

Kind regards
Jesper

Return to “Play Out! Performance Modulars”