Big Black/Steve Albini

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

Hi5
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hi5 »

All of Albini's bands have crowning moments. I would have to say that the recording style of the Shellac records(first few) really influence how I like things to sound in general.

Plus his studio is obscene.
tetno: https://soundcloud.com/richard-holhburn
Goiks: A eurorack setup is a contemporary folk instrument. Relatively accessible and portable. Largely by, of and for the people.
Hi5
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hi5 »

All of Albini's bands have crowning moments. I would have to say that the recording style of the Shellac records(first few) really influence how I like things to sound in general.

Plus his studio is obscene.
tetno: https://soundcloud.com/richard-holhburn
Goiks: A eurorack setup is a contemporary folk instrument. Relatively accessible and portable. Largely by, of and for the people.
DanielW
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DanielW »

I loved Big Black when I was 15 – 16. No party was perfect before we had blasted "Columbian Necktie" at top volume.

I've never cared for his productions though. I think he ruined good albums for bands like The Pixies and Union Carbide Productions.

But Big Black... That was something else.
thefamilyghost
Common Wiggler

Post by thefamilyghost »

Babaluma wrote:never heard shellac, are they good?
My take is that, while Big Black's quality level is much more consistent/level, Shellac have the greater highs (also the lower lows...nothing that's bad, mind you).

Both bands are great.
waifl
Common Wiggler

Post by waifl »

Does anyone have a copy of the insert from Songs About Fucking lying around? I can't find my copy anywhere, and I remember it being completely insane....
Jacob Krell
LNR
Common Wiggler

Post by LNR »

[video][/video]

croooow
NU
Wiggling with Experience

Post by NU »

Chrome Dinette wrote:I don't listen to them that much these days
I feel the same about his bands but I have fond memories of seeing Shellac play on a riverboat (cruising the Mississippi River no less) in the 90s or early 00s. It wasn't especially loud but they sounded great.

A friend of mine saw Shellac play a 9 AM show where they served everyone breakfast. :nana: :bacon:
HavaH1138
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Big Black/Steve Albini

Post by HavaH1138 »

Does anyone know which drum machine was used on Songs About Fucking? There's alot of tape saturation, and its hard to tell if its a tr606 or a tr 707 on that album.
IanEye
Common Wiggler

Post by IanEye »

Roland TR-606

“I’m proud of the way we used Roland ,” Albini says. “I feel like it’s an underutilized instrument. It kind of bothers me that it was not taken seriously as an instrument by other people. It was used as kind of a simulacrum of a regular drummer, or just as a slightly fancy metronome. In Big Black, the drum machine got to stretch its legs a little. Even now, I can’t think of another band that used the drum machine in a similar fashion.”

“Big Black’s use of the drum machine was excellent,” Wire bassist Graham Lewis says. “They gave it its own amp stack and placed it centerstage like a traditional drummer. This gave the band its ferocious rhythmic focus. Bruce [Gilbert, former Wire guitarist] and I loved drum machines; I bought my first in 1979. We approved of the inflexibility of Big Black’s drum machine policy at the time.”

Ears
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Ears »

I had a convo with Steve once on “roland.” He was gonna let me borrow it for a queer Big Black parody project that never really got it together. Apparently Roland wasn’t actually a Roland - if I remember right he said it was actually a Sequential Circuits Drumtracks or Tom? I saw the Atomizer tour, but didn’t notice what drum machine they were using - but damn it was a great show (even if a drum machine crash caused a pause). Anyhow, I cross paths with him less these days, but if I see him again I’ll ask.
jbuonacc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jbuonacc »

IanEye wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:50 pm Roland TR-606 ...
they weren't using the 606 at this point, it's definitely digital (707, 505, 626, or maybe something else altogether?).

they're pretty clear on this:

IanEye
Common Wiggler

Post by IanEye »

jbuonacc wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:33 pm

they weren't using the 606 at this point
ah!
Thanks for sending me back into research mode:

"On Lungs and Bulldozer, I had a Roland TR606. On everything else, it was an E-Mu Drumulator. On Racer-X, I borrowed Steve Bjorklund's. After that, I owned one."

Return to “Artist Discussion”