Voting open for your top 3 tracks in our Odd Meter Remix/ReMangle/Reimagine Challenge

Prizes generously donated by:
ADDAC System (Eurorack 3U)
Endorphin.es (Eurorack 3U)
Fred's Lab (DIY Paraphonic Synth)
Northern Light Modular (Buchla-format h-series OR Eurorack3U)
Rattly and Raw (Wiggler Approved Kontakt Instrument)
Studio.h (Buchla-format 4U)

Get your vote on and free 42 minute modular playlist for your listening pleasure.

The Beatles: Get Back documentary on Disney

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

ModusOp
Oneiric Automatist

Re: The Beatles: Get Back documentary on Disney

Post by ModusOp » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:18 am

commodorejohn wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:21 am
Wikipedia has "Tomorrow Never Knows" as being Ringo, but doesn't say whether it's a loop. Either way, yes, it's the base that glues the rest of the madness together :)
Perhaps they’re thinking of this earlier version that was on one of the Anthologies?

Oh and I think they used tape loops for that bird-like sound effect in the Revolver version.
(=^・ω・^)y=|:::|

SkyWriter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SkyWriter » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:31 am

Fwiw, the Get Back Naked album is way better than the Spector-nonsense on LIB; so many stupid out-takes. Listening to it now in the car.
I'm color blind.

bmot
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bmot » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:58 pm

Artomas wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:56 am
Maybe they could release Get Back on a platform for households without children?
I don't know if they still offer a free 1 month trial, but if they do then give it a try. You might be surprised to see Disney+ now has lots of 16 and 18 content, horror films etc. Which is great for me, as i only subscribed for the kids stuff for my son, the recently added grown up content means i can enjoy it too!

Lux A Turner
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Lux A Turner » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:01 pm

‘I just can’t believe it exists’: Peter Jackson takes us into the Beatles vault locked up for 52 years

Back in the Summer of 1992, I was booked to do the lighting load out for the Spinal Tap gig at the Royal Albert Hall. I arrived quite early, picked up my pass and made my way backstage to catering and grabbed a beer. As I stood in the corridor drinking it, my eyes alighted on a tallish, slim, middle-aged guy with brown hair, wearing a light grey business suit and a nice, smart tie, standing a few feet away from me and chatting to a woman in an evening dress. He looked familiar and I knew I'd seen him before, somewhere - but I couldn't quite remember exactly when and who he actually was.

Then he smiled. A friendly, butslightly cheesy smile with lots of teeth, although not so wide as to be a grin and suddenly it hit me...

"Fuck me, it's George Harrison!" I thought to myself.

I'd been in "the business" over ten years by then and was used to the presence of celebrities at work. But - just for a second - I have to admit that my knees did go a little weak. Wow - a real Beatle, standing right there in front of me and just being so... normal :woah:

It may stop, but it never ends.

My Rack - v1.0

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:06 pm

bmot wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:58 pm
Artomas wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:56 am
Maybe they could release Get Back on a platform for households without children?
I don't know if they still offer a free 1 month trial, but if they do then give it a try. You might be surprised to see Disney+ now has lots of 16 and 18 content, horror films etc. Which is great for me, as i only subscribed for the kids stuff for my son, the recently added grown up content means i can enjoy it too!
The Mandalorian is good clean fun.
I slapped butter all over keys, knobs, cords, smeared screens with Coleslaw, pelted with Reese's Pieces, broke a Twix in half, stuck in... and after... I swung them all over above my head, pirouetted on their corners on top of a shaky rattan diner table spun like tops, but made sure nothing dropped. Toasted coconut n tested for salmonella were found in surprising places weeks after. I had so much fun.

nostalghia
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nostalghia » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:20 pm

Lots of good National Geographic content on Disney+ as well, for example, “The World According to Jeff Goldblum” and nature specials galore. And all the Pixar movies of course.

I recently signed up, looking forward to Get Back when it airs after seeing the 60 Minutes segment about it. May cancel after that, depending on how often I stream other stuff. Will probably get around to checking out the Wandavision and Loki shows first. Tend to veg out more as we head into winter weather here.
“If you look for a meaning, you'll miss everything that happens.” - Andrei Tarkovsky
https://soundcloud.com/nostalghia70s

Voltage_Controller
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voltage_Controller » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:29 am

Its Ringo. You can hear the drum track here:

He's holding an 8th note drone on the crash/ride to the beat. You can also hear variations on how he hits the snare.
“The only truth is music.” ― Kerouac

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:35 am

Voltage_Controller wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:29 am
Its Ringo. You can hear the drum track here:

He's holding an 8th note drone on the crash/ride to the beat. You can also hear variations on how he hits the snare.
Totally Ringo. He anchored this track with the snare, a technique used in a lot of electronic music now. Probably an engineering thing as well. As for looping Ringo (OT this film clip nails the experience IMHO). The cool thing about Setting Sun is the sitar drone is replicated and the guitar (?) loop mirrors the tonal down shift in the vocal and the drum loop, and the overall twistedness while maintaining the big beat energy for a new generation. A great homage for the time if you ask me.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:57 am

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:30 am

I think it's important to remember that Ringo comes more from traditions like country and blues. He was playing some creative things with that right before rock drumming changed dramatically with the likes of John Bonham and Mitch Mitchell. When he gets criticized it seems like it's usually in comparison with that sort of drumming. But he wasn't one of those stadium rock drummers. He played in service of the song and did it well.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:32 pm

Well look who has a new Master Class

https://www.masterclass.com/classes/rin ... laboration?

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:46 pm

A few years ago I was at an AES event at a local mastering studio and they played some tracks from "Love", the 2-CD set of Beatles remixes that was put together by George Martin for the Cirque du Soleil show. There is some really remarkable stuff in those tracks. I was never a huge fan of the Beatles but wow, the results from that project are just amazing. Highly recommended.

SkyWriter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SkyWriter » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:54 pm

I have the Love Album - I love Cirque du Soleil - agreed, there is some good stuf on it.

Although, I find it very hard to appreciate covers of Beatles tunes. I need to hear all the snaps and crackles from my original album and all the songs in the right album order to properly appreciate it. The exception has been the Rain 'Beatlesce' shows I had been to.
I'm color blind.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:35 pm

Let's not forget Danger Mouse's excellent Grey Album.
I slapped butter all over keys, knobs, cords, smeared screens with Coleslaw, pelted with Reese's Pieces, broke a Twix in half, stuck in... and after... I swung them all over above my head, pirouetted on their corners on top of a shaky rattan diner table spun like tops, but made sure nothing dropped. Toasted coconut n tested for salmonella were found in surprising places weeks after. I had so much fun.

cretaceousear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cretaceousear » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:29 am

There's an uncomplimentary review of the movie here:
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... our-sanity

TLDR: it's TL
It's worth knowing the journalist Alexis Petridis is a respected writer and doesn't do click bait for the hell of it.
..magic sauce, the ketchup of catchup

SkyWriter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SkyWriter » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:52 am

No surprise there. :0(
I'm color blind.

Lux A Turner
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Lux A Turner » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:14 am

cretaceousear wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:29 am

It's worth knowing the journalist Alexis Petridis is a respected writer and doesn't do click bait for the hell of it.
It doesn't sound like he's being completely unfair TBH. I'd like to see the documentary out of interest, but not out of excitement. The lives and careers of the Beatles have been documented in so much, minute detail now, it's difficult to know what this project is going to add to all that.

I was eight years old when the Beatles broke up and spent most of my teens longing and yearning for just one more album, but painfully aware that it wouldn't be the same if they did - too much water had already passed under the bridge :sad:

It may stop, but it never ends.

My Rack - v1.0

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:49 pm

Lux A Turner wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:14 am
cretaceousear wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:29 am

It doesn't sound like he's being completely unfair TBH. I'd like to see the documentary out of interest, but not out of excitement. The lives and careers of the Beatles have been documented in so much, minute detail now, it's difficult to know what this project is going to add to all that.

I was eight years old when the Beatles broke up and spent most of my teens longing and yearning for just one more album, but painfully aware that it wouldn't be the same if they did - too much water had already passed under the bridge :sad:
No it doesn’t. But I’m fascinated enough now about the creative process of music making that it wouldn’t get too tedious for me.

s.l.o.w
Wiggling with Experience

Post by s.l.o.w » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:23 pm

I've just watched the first episode. This is not a documentary that is likely going to resonate with the general public, but as someone who likes to consider himself "creative", I am fascinated by the iterative tedious, silly, tetchy, astounding, inefficient, etc. creative process on display here.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:26 pm

onthebandwagon wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:33 am
Ringo Starr gets a lot of shit but I start listening to the Beatles again a year or so ago and think his drumming was perfect for the band.
I have a George Martin book where he said Ringo missed a beat... once.

Voltage_Controller
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voltage_Controller » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:44 am

its great - cant wait for the rest
“The only truth is music.” ― Kerouac

scottmoon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by scottmoon » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:50 am

Love the first episode. Quite revealing of their moods at the time. Once they start having fun, it gets going, until George...
"If you think this world is bad, you should see some of the others" - PKD

My band's noise https://soundcloud.com/lunarasylum

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:08 am

Unfortunately I can't get Disney+, I could VPN I guess.

Mister G
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mister G » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:42 am

I watched it last night and was riveted.
The first few minutes-I felt like I’d gone in a time machine and was in the room with them.

s.l.o.w
Wiggling with Experience

Post by s.l.o.w » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:16 pm

Well, that's episode 2 done. It's an endurance event, that's for sure. I'll repeat my suggestion that this is not meant for the general public. While I'm thoroughly enjoying watching the creative process unfold en route to some classic Beatles tracks, the seemingly unending diversions into jamming with old blues or rock and roll songs tests one's patience, and doesn't really serve the narrative, unless the main story is supposed to be about appreciating how the Beatles can pull magic out of a hat in the middle of spending most of their time faffing about.

I'd probably appreciate this more as a 12 episode miniseries or something, with some thematic concentration around each episode, but now that I've bought in and am two thirds of the way through it, I'll stick with it and watch the final installment tomorrow.

Return to “Artist Discussion”