Voting open for your top 3 tracks in our Odd Meter Remix/ReMangle/Reimagine Challenge

Prizes generously donated by:
ADDAC System (Eurorack 3U)
Endorphin.es (Eurorack 3U)
Fred's Lab (DIY Paraphonic Synth)
Northern Light Modular (Buchla-format h-series OR Eurorack3U)
Rattly and Raw (Wiggler Approved Kontakt Instrument)
Studio.h (Buchla-format 4U)

Get your vote on and free 42 minute modular playlist for your listening pleasure.

The Beatles: Get Back documentary on Disney

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

The Beatles: Get Back documentary on Disney

Post by dubonaire » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:14 am

Looks amazing. My childhood years were soundtracked by the Beatles but it’s only been in recent years I realized how good they were.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: The Beatles: Get Back documentary on Disney

Post by onthebandwagon » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:33 am

Ringo Starr gets a lot of shit but I start listening to the Beatles again a year or so ago and think his drumming was perfect for the band.
I slapped butter all over keys, knobs, cords, smeared screens with Coleslaw, pelted with Reese's Pieces, broke a Twix in half, stuck in... and after... I swung them all over above my head, pirouetted on their corners on top of a shaky rattan diner table spun like tops, but made sure nothing dropped. Toasted coconut n tested for salmonella were found in surprising places weeks after. I had so much fun.

fallout
Common Wiggler

Post by fallout » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:39 am

Ringo is definitely one of the most underrated drummers. It's funny, when you ask a drummer to play a Ringo drum fill it ALWAYS falls short and sounds a bit silly. Ringo has a certain finesse about his playing that most drummers simply do not.

SkyWriter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SkyWriter » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:40 am

onthebandwagon wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:33 am
Ringo Starr gets a lot of shit but I start listening to the Beatles again a year or so ago and think his drumming was perfect for the band.
He was a very different type of drummer to be sure. I listen to his work a lot on Beatles recordings. Very... articulate style. Nice.

I haven't seen this Get Back documentary, but others have been pretty depressing to watch these guys go at each other. Would rather watch silly Help. Go to the window!

I love to watch the scene where Ringo sings "Boys" in whatever movie that one was in - Hard Days Night maybe?
I'm color blind.

s.l.o.w
Wiggling with Experience

Post by s.l.o.w » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:01 am

I am very much looking forward to this Peter Jackson documentary. Per NME, “Paul McCartney says ‘The Beatles: Get Back’ documentary changed his perception of their split”

Lux A Turner
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Lux A Turner » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:35 am

fallout wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:39 am
Ringo is definitely one of the most underrated drummers. It's funny, when you ask a drummer to play a Ringo drum fill it ALWAYS falls short and sounds a bit silly. Ringo has a certain finesse about his playing that most drummers simply do not.
One reason for that is that Ringo is left-handed, but plays a right-handed kit. When he joined The Beatles he couldn't even play a drum roll and George Martin was so unimpressed with him to start with, that he had Andy White play drums on the released version of Love Me Do. But yeah - his playing is integral to The Beatles' sound
dubonaire wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:14 am
Looks amazing. My childhood years were soundtracked by the Beatles but it’s only been in recent years I realized how good they were.
I think one of the biggest tragedies of John Lennon's murder, was that he never got to see the revival of love for The Beatles that started in the 1990s and continues to this day.

Not sure that we need another Beatles biopic, but still wouldn't mind seeing this one.

It may stop, but it never ends.

My Rack - v1.0

SkyWriter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SkyWriter » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:49 am

Once the split happened, we got to hear the real difference between Lennon and McCartney compositions; I'm a McCartney guy. I did not care for Lennon after Ono's influence on him.

Too bad Harrison didn't get more play time on Beatles albums.
I'm color blind.

Artomas
Common Wiggler

Post by Artomas » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:56 am

I don't have Disney+. It seems like a weird venue for this show. The American TV show 60 Minutes strongly implied that this documentary refutes the idea that the Beatles didn't get along during this period, and that they had a nasty breakup.

Of course, they said there was 58 hours of previously unused footage available for this documentary, so the Lord of the Rings guy could probably have supported a different conclusion, had he been hired to. I suppose that's too cynical? I don't know whether Disney owns "the Beatles", or "that Apple", or any derivatives thereof. Maybe they could release Get Back on a platform for households without children? That's probably why I'm a little sharp about this, TBF.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:14 pm

What I really liked as a kid, when I was old enough to figure out my father's turntable, is the childlike quality to much of the Beatles music. Songs like Rocky Raccoon really caught my imagination as a child and still speak to me as an adult. In a way, despite their overwhelming success, they didn't seem to take themselves too serious, which in turn I think opened up an emotional quality in their music that was lacking in the other big bands of the time.
I slapped butter all over keys, knobs, cords, smeared screens with Coleslaw, pelted with Reese's Pieces, broke a Twix in half, stuck in... and after... I swung them all over above my head, pirouetted on their corners on top of a shaky rattan diner table spun like tops, but made sure nothing dropped. Toasted coconut n tested for salmonella were found in surprising places weeks after. I had so much fun.

SkyWriter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SkyWriter » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:32 pm

I like how the voices for Yellow Submarine were done by someone else because they were too stoned most of the time to remember lines or record lines seriously. Judging from Help, they weren't that far off...
I'm color blind.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:04 pm

Someone needs to release a drum machine with a special Ringo Starr swing setting.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:25 pm

There's some interesting youtube vids on the net where Ringo's drumming is extracted from the mix. Some very interesting stuff actually.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:36 pm

The fills on Strawberry Fields are amazing. After reading this thread this morning I was desperate to find the CD in my car but had no luck. Bummed out my morning.

Voltage_Controller
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voltage_Controller » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:50 pm

The restored footage looks incredible.

I am glad we are getting a "documentary of a documentary" because the narrative of the original is forced, and all parties said its more of a reflection of a general malaise about being "a beatle" than actual toxicity and hatred for one another. They grew up and were ready to move on (or just take a break). Having a bunch of bad/unclearly defined business deals suddenly required lawyers which undoubtedly and totally understandably stirred emotions and wrecked interpersonal relationships. I am looking forward to seeing them working together through a broader lens.

If you are a hardcore Beatles head, check out the Lewisohn book "All These Years"
“The only truth is music.” ― Kerouac

ModusOp
Oneiric Automatist

Post by ModusOp » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:32 pm

Really looking forward to this! I really hope they caught some magical moments with Billy Preston!

Ahh 1970… The year that Dirk sued Stig and Nasty; Barry sued Dirk; Nasty sued Stig and Barry; and Stig sued himself accidentally.
(=^・ω・^)y=|:::|

SkyWriter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SkyWriter » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:24 pm

Poor billy
I'm color blind.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:30 pm

onthebandwagon wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:36 pm
The fills on Strawberry Fields are amazing. After reading this thread this morning I was desperate to find the CD in my car but had no luck. Bummed out my morning.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:09 pm

dubonaire wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:30 pm
onthebandwagon wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:36 pm
I think I watched that before. Love it!

commodorejohn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by commodorejohn » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:19 pm

Yeah, Ringo's a great example of understated mastery - never too flashy or demanding of attention, but always putting just that little bit more creativity in than other people might. The same is true of Paul's approach to bass, but at least he gets credit for it.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

SkyWriter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SkyWriter » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:40 pm

Ringo played more like a percussionist than a back beat drummer of the times once they did their own material. His later stuff on abby road is very expressive.

There was a Beatlemania group Rain that could do live versions of I am the Walrus without resorting to sample playback.

It's stuff you just want to sing along with. "Ive just seen a face" is my favorite sing-a-long. Full friggin speed!
I'm color blind.

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:00 am

ModusOp wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:32 pm

Ahh 1970… The year that Dirk sued Stig and Nasty; Barry sued Dirk; Nasty sued Stig and Barry; and Stig sued himself accidentally.
Sometimes I really hate that this place has no “like” button.

aquifer
Common Wiggler

Post by aquifer » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:16 am

The Beatles on Disney and the new Velvet Underground documentary on Apple TV. :hmm:

ModusOp
Oneiric Automatist

Post by ModusOp » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:32 am

Umcorps wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:00 am
ModusOp wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:32 pm

Sometimes I really hate that this place has no “like” button.
:chug:
(=^・ω・^)y=|:::|

cretaceousear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cretaceousear » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:12 am

Looking forward to this and the clips I've seen clearly show them having fun playing music together.
I've seen a few drum documentaries over the years and the famous drummers are always very complimentary about Ringo. Stewart Copeland, Dave Grohl, Chad Smith. Often the comment is he knew how to do enough to keep it simple but inventive and always a great fit for the song.
Drumming on Tomorrow never knows is incredible.. however I've read that's a loop so maybe down to George Martin or Paul.
They still sound so fresh to me.
POST EDIT : I didn't mean the drumming might be done by Paul, I meant the idea of looping it...
Last edited by cretaceousear on Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
..magic sauce, the ketchup of catchup

commodorejohn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by commodorejohn » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:21 am

Wikipedia has "Tomorrow Never Knows" as being Ringo, but doesn't say whether it's a loop. Either way, yes, it's the base that glues the rest of the madness together :)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Return to “Artist Discussion”