"Remix/ReMangle" Contest now open!

Prizes generously donated by:
ADDAC System (Eurorack 3U)
Endorphin.es (Eurorack 3U)
Fred's Lab (DIY Paraphonic Synth)
Northern Light Modular (Buchla-format h-series)
Rattly and Raw (Wiggler Approved Kontakt Instrument)
Studio.h (Buchla-format 4U)

Show us what "remix" means to you! Create, share, vote, win modules & more! Free gifts too!
Join in here!

Cassette culture!

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

joeboy
Common Wiggler

Cassette culture!

Post by joeboy » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:09 pm

I discovered blogs like Mutant Sounds, No Longer Forgotten Music, and Tape Attack around 10 years ago, and they've had such an impact on my taste: exposing me to so much great post-punk, industrial, and "minimal synth" music. Most of the material shared there is sourced from cassettes traded via post among friends. So many totally anonymous gems with an audience of dozens. I still keep returning to those sounds.

Anybody else a fan of DIY tapes like this? Maybe some of you are old enough to have participated in such scenes? The blogs I mentioned have a strong focus on Germany and the Netherlands, but I'd like resources devoted to other countries. If you know any good blogs, labels, or individuals from elsewhere, please share them with me.

GGW
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Cassette culture!

Post by GGW » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:35 pm

I was defiantly into it during the time. I still have a box of cassettes somewhere, but it is not large because it took a bit of effort to find tapes, and then order them by mail. The best way was to find notice of a zine that was devoted to tape reviews. The best I found was Gajoob of which I saved a copy:
IMG_20211124_0004.jpg
IMG_20211124_0006.jpg
I thought that Gajoob only put out a few issues and then went defunct, but in the context of this post, I did a search and found to my surprise that they have a web presence and seem to be getting back into printed copy.

I remembered a label "Sound of Pig" which seemed to put out pretty harsh experimental music and found an archive mention of them here:

http://livingarchive.doncampau.com/tape ... und-of-pig

There's some other good info at that same site.

I remember another publication called "Factsheet Five" which reviewed zines, as well as recordings. They seem to have been gone for a while but there is a bit of a mention in this Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factsheet_Five

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:19 pm

You should check out Tapes From Africa.
I slapped butter all over keys, knobs, cords, smeared screens with Coleslaw, pelted with Reese's Pieces, broke a Twix in half, stuck in... and after... I swung them all over above my head, pirouetted on their corners on top of a shaky rattan diner table spun like tops, but made sure nothing dropped. Toasted coconut n tested for salmonella were found in surprising places weeks after. I had so much fun.

wuff_miggler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:52 pm

Awesome Tapes from African is dope :-)

Also check out Sublime Frequencies - lots of tasty shit:
https://www.discogs.com/label/52340-Sublime-Frequencies

And also - Sahel Sounds:
https://www.discogs.com/label/257251-Sahel-Sounds

For good tips, i'd recommend the "Outernational" Section of hardwax, brilliantly curated afrobeat, and various world music:
https://hardwax.com/section/outernational/

wuff_miggler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:07 am

Euro Trash Bazooka
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Euro Trash Bazooka » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:00 am

Still love tapes, still put out way too many of them, use plenty of them, send plenty of them. Tapes are awesome and so diy friendly.

red
Wiggling with Experience

Post by red » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:32 pm

joeboy wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:09 pm
Anybody else a fan of DIY tapes like this? Maybe some of you are old enough to have participated in such scenes?
Well, I had the cassette phase in the eighties and nineties. I quietly have a large collection of cassettes from that time (100+).
Between 1984 and 1997 I also participated in some of these cassette productions (ECTO TAPES, MONIF LABEL, EE TAPES, POINTLESS MUSIC, RED-GARLIC):

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image Image

... as time goes by!

8-)
red

Return to “Artist Discussion”