Video eurorack in the audio world?

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., daverj

arrivepopulism
Learning to Wiggle

Video eurorack in the audio world?

Post by arrivepopulism » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:55 am

I was gifted a lzx industries Castle 011 shift register HOWEVER I only have and am only building out an audio modular rack. Can this shift register prove usefully in the audio world of eurorack as opposed to video? How would this shift register function differently?

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Video eurorack in the audio world?

Post by Zymos » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:26 am

I think LZX and most other video modules use a range of 0-1 volts, while Eurorack audio modules are generally 0-5 or -5 to 5. So you could use it, but only in that more limited range.

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:23 pm

zymos is right

will work perfectly well with that constraint

NB anything outside that range will get clipped - so 2.5v will be 1v on output, 5v will be 1v on output etc
Modular Audio and Video Synthesis on Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

choose the case to fit the modules - not the modules to fit the case!!!

arrivepopulism
Learning to Wiggle

Post by arrivepopulism » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:32 pm

That all makes sense and matches what I expected based on my initial research. Thank you for confirming!

joem
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by joem » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:41 pm

Additionally, it might be worth considering what the module does to determine if it's worth using some scaling to integrate it into your audio workflow...

To that end, this module is as the name implies, a shift register. If I'm remembering its specifics correctly, when ever it gets a clock input to CLK, whatever input is at DAT is sampled and then output on D0. Also, whatever had previously been output at D0 is then output at D1, and what was at D1 is output to D2, and finally what was at D2 is output to D3. But it's only sampling low (less than 0.5V, which is output as 0V) or high (over 0.5V, which is output as 1V).

So given how it works, you could input eurorack audio straight into DAT it without converting it and feed it a clock that's a higher rate than the DAT input and it would be effectively a harsh clipping distortion coming out of any of the outputs. You'd probably want to convert the 0-1V output into a -5V to +5V or -2.5V to +2.5V signal (I can't remember exactly which one of those is the eurorack norm for audio). This kind of distortion could be fun, especially if you filter it afterwards a bit to make it a little gentler, I imagine. If you mixed the outputs together, you might get different flavors but I think it'd probably be a really subtle difference.

If you go with a lower frequency input like a LFO (again using a CLK that's higher freq. than the LFO), you could turn a bipolar sine or saw into a square wave, if you just take one of the outputs. Or again if you mix them together you could get some potentially interesting stepped waveshapes, I think? Like with audio, you'll likely want to scale the output up, in this case to either -5V to +5V or to 0 to 5V.

Another way to use it could be with trigger/gate patterns (like from a trigger/gate sequencer) input on DAT and a clock input on CLK that's twice (or 4x, or 8x, etc - maybe 1x would be fun too?) the frequency. In that case, you'd get the same pattern output as you input, but each output would be delayed by 1 CLK cycle from the previous output. So D0 would output in time with the input, D1 would be one CLK behind that, D2 would be one CLK behind D1 (or 2 CLKs behind the input), and D3 would be one CLK behind D2 (or 3 CLKs behind the input). The outputs won't necessarily have the same gate length as the input, though there are some input conditions that will do that. This could be a fun way to delay a trigger/gate pattern, or (if the clock timing is off) a fun way to get somewhat related patterns, though again, you'll want to scale the output, in this case up to 0 - 5V probably.

(Hmmm... Now I kind of want to try some of these....)

arrivepopulism
Learning to Wiggle

Post by arrivepopulism » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:42 pm

Thank you for the ideas! I was working on a basic patch this evening just to confirm it’s working and it is! It’s just a small voltage range as expected. Now time to experiment…

Return to “Video Synthesis”