Erogenous Tones - STRUCTURE

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.
BlastPast
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Erogenous Tones - STRUCTURE

Post by BlastPast »

jD wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:46 pm Thanks but mines actually at perfect circuit so send them there first 😂
Same here! Fingers crossed! :cloud:
scragz
Ultra Wiggler

Post by scragz »

website not loading so I'm posting my bug report here:

if you have clips in a performance and that performance is loaded on startup, it is not loading the clips in the performance, only the ones in the root. if nothing is in the root, it loads the default 4 clips. I have to select another performance and back, or load the wrong one by default and then select the one I want, to get the performance's clips to load.

this has been in the last couple firmwares since I started using structure, currently on 4.1
anomad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anomad »

scragz wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:48 pm website not loading so I'm posting my bug report here:

if you have clips in a performance and that performance is loaded on startup, it is not loading the clips in the performance, only the ones in the root. if nothing is in the root, it loads the default 4 clips. I have to select another performance and back, or load the wrong one by default and then select the one I want, to get the performance's clips to load.

this has been in the last couple firmwares since I started using structure, currently on 4.1
. thanks for the heads up. we'll take a look at that.

-james
jD
Common Wiggler

Post by jD »

Shipping confirmation from PC!!! Woo hoo
bedhead777
Common Wiggler

Post by bedhead777 »

Same. So so so excited :party:
anomad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anomad »

. welcome to the family! :)

. hit us up here or the facebook group if you have any questions.

-james
PlatzeBoo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PlatzeBoo »

Hey folks,

me too :hyper:

thank you guys so much!
BlastPast
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BlastPast »

I received mine from Perfect Circuit yesterday, I’m so excited to start learning, unfortunately I’ll be away for a few weeks and won’t get to dig in yet but I can’t wait!

Is there any other community for discussing and sharing Structure related things besides Facebook? I’ve been off of that platform for quite a while now and don’t really want to go back lol. But it seems there are some communities that are mostly focused on there so I might have to make a new account and give in eventually. Maybe a discord or something?
Kent
Curator/Janitor/Zookeeper

Post by Kent »

I think that you could/should do it here. This thread is fine. Also, there is LZX and they have a thread on it.

Structure is super cool. It is also deeper and more powerful than it first appears. You'll have months of exploration ahead of you. Most of it is pretty simple to learn.
BlastPast
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BlastPast »

Right on, thanks! I’ll be sure to link some of my creations once I get into it. My plan is to make combined live visuals alongside eurorack synthesis music, although not sure how easy it will be logistically to perform music live while doing visuals but we’ll see. I’m going to incorporate my Structure with some standalone video mixers as well as some eurorack format video modules (I don’t have any LZX, but some Syntonie stuff as well as some Tymkrs modules that I’ve been having a lot of fun with), and probably Resolume and/or MaxMSP Vsynth. Oh, and VHS tapes. Can’t wait to see how much I can smash together.
Kent
Curator/Janitor/Zookeeper

Post by Kent »

It will definitely excel at that stuff. Structure works well with Euro and can also be controlled via the joystick and MIDI. If you set up a controller, you are can easily control hidden parameters.

Be sure to look at the top level here. There is a place to place your video work and another where you can show off your rig.
studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 »

TJontheRoad wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:55 am
scragz wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:36 am
TJontheRoad wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:22 am Does Structure have a HDMI out?
no I use a converter box
Ok thanks. Something like this?

FWIW: While that should work, I've re-posted this excerpt from my "modularvideo: 2021 studio build" thread:
studio460 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:40 pm Update: Black Box 1080p60 scaler.

Just did some A-B comparisons between the [gofanco Prophecy and Black Box AVSC scalers]: Though the [gofanco Prophecy scaler's] composite-to-HDMI conversion is virtually noise-free (i.e., visibly cleaner than the Roland V-4EX' scaler), [the gofanco scaler] exhibits pronounced stair-stepping on native-16:9 480p24 DVCAM-ingested footage (shot with an 850-line horizontal-resoluton sensor, photographed at a 1/48th-shutter).

The Black Box AVSC scaler displays fewer artifacts with noticeably less stair-stepping. Though, neither box was capable of accepting the S-Video output of the DSR-11 via Y/C-cable (the Prophecy does not support Y/Pb/Pr or Y/C-inputs). If you don't need Y/Pb/Pr-output (which the Prophecy supports), the Black Box scaler is the better converter.

Black Box AVSC-VIDEO-HDMI 1080p60 scaler: $214.95.
Manufactured by a large multi-monitor display company, the Black Box scaler is the best HDMI-upscaler I've found.
M01C
Common Wiggler

Post by M01C »

Available at SchneidersLaden.

Having fun with mine :)

Doublecoolbossman
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Doublecoolbossman »

Manufactured by a large multi-monitor display company, the Black Box scaler is the best HDMI-upscaler I've found.
This may be a silly question, but I don't know the answer. My projector accepts component and hdmi. I use the component out from my V-8 to the projector, would using an upscaler between my mixer and projector result in a better picture? Pretty sure my projector can do 1080.
Rick Burnett
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Rick Burnett »

scragz wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:48 pm if you have clips in a performance and that performance is loaded on startup, it is not loading the clips in the performance, only the ones in the root. if nothing is in the root, it loads the default 4 clips. I have to select another performance and back, or load the wrong one by default and then select the one I want, to get the performance's clips to load.
Starting to take a look at this, will likely make it into the 4.2 update in a couple weeks along with some other things!
Erogenous Tones - STRUCTURE Available Now!
11ish
Nerd With Wound

Post by 11ish »

I've been looking at modular video synthesis (which is a new field of exploration for me) for the last 1 or 2 weeks, checked what is available at the moment, and now I'm torn between the Structure and the Sleepy Circuits Hypno. Although the Structure all in all looks more inviting with the screen and the whole user interface, I must admit that there are some youtube and vimeo clips from the Hypno that impress me more than anything I have seen from the Structure. So may I ask you Structure-users, can the Structure do something like this?

Or this?

A lot of what I have seen from the Structure looks a bit 2-dimensional and generic, like "here are your toys, now play with them"-preset-nodes … Also I'm kind of worried the SD resolution might turn out to be insufficient and require investing another 200€ or so for a proper upscaler (I'm currently not VJing or anything like that, just want to produce HD videos). All in all the Structure is tempting though and has the benefit of being available right here in Germany, whereas importing the Hypno would set me back about two thirds of the price for a Structure, plus more waiting time. So yeah, I'm leaning towards the Structure, but I'm still not perfectly sure … Any thoughts?
anomad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anomad »

BlastPast wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:49 am I received mine from Perfect Circuit yesterday, I’m so excited to start learning, unfortunately I’ll be away for a few weeks and won’t get to dig in yet but I can’t wait!

Is there any other community for discussing and sharing Structure related things besides Facebook? I’ve been off of that platform for quite a while now and don’t really want to go back lol. But it seems there are some communities that are mostly focused on there so I might have to make a new account and give in eventually. Maybe a discord or something?
. i try to keep my eye on this group as well in case there are any questions or other Structure/video art discussions going on.

. we also have a bunch of videos on our youtube channel that go over various nodes and upgrades over the years- https://www.youtube.com/@erogenoustones ... shelf_id=0

. welcome to the Structure family! :)

-james
anomad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anomad »

11ish wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:14 pm I've been looking at modular video synthesis (which is a new field of exploration for me) for the last 1 or 2 weeks, checked what is available at the moment, and now I'm torn between the Structure and the Sleepy Circuits Hypno. Although the Structure all in all looks more inviting with the screen and the whole user interface, I must admit that there are some youtube and vimeo clips from the Hypno that impress me more than anything I have seen from the Structure. So may I ask you Structure-users, can the Structure do something like this?
[snip]
… Any thoughts?
. hello! i'm James - half of the Erogenous Tones video team that makes Structure.

. for your first question, yes Structure can do things like that. Structure and Hypno are based around GLSL shaders and how they're mixed together and/or processed. Structure ships with all of these shaders (and effects) - http://glsl.erogenous-tones.com/ here you can make modifications to the shaders and copy them to the front SD card of Structure and use your own shaders or effects (w/the caveat that the shaders must be GLES 2.0 compatible, must not ray trace, or have excessive for loops) - but you only to worry about that if you want to make your own shaders.

. in addition to the shaders, Structure also supports still images, short video clips, text files and truetype fonts (lots of fun to use webding type fonts to get scaleable graphics), 3D objects, audio and/or CV input, joystick for parameter modulation, built in delay and feedback routes, CVBS or LZX 1v video input, MIDI and qwerty keyboard as controllers, built in LFOs, envelopes and math functions, and Cairo (2d libraries for Python) scripts. you can store and recall up to 64 presets (the node set + associated parameters)

. check out the ET youtube page for some videos on what the system is capable of - https://www.youtube.com/@erogenoustones ... shelf_id=0

. let me know if you have any other questions! :)
-james
Pagoda-100
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Pagoda-100 »

11ish wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:14 pm I've been looking at modular video synthesis Any thoughts?
Something else to think about is that if you went with Structure. Say you are blown away with video synthesis and want to go deeper down the hole. I think it is going to be a little more inviting to expand into a bigger video modular system. Not to say Hypno will not fit within a video rig, but Structure to me feels like it has a bit more growth potential if you decide to expand. The LZX TBC2 just started shipping and is going to open up some fun times with structure and a 1v system!
11ish
Nerd With Wound

Post by 11ish »

Thank you James and Pagoda-100 for your opinions and info!
The thing is, I don't have the funds to go down the LZX modular rabbit hole :) even though I would love to … The only thing that I would consider adding at some point would be a LZX Vidiot if it was available, but I'm not willing to spend stupid prices because it's now gone and sought after. I have a Syntony CBV001 coming this week and hundreds of old VHS tapes from the 90s to play with as well, so all this and that one new thing, be it the Structure or the Hypno, should be enough for a while. But sure, who knows where it will lead me eventually … :)
11ish
Nerd With Wound

Post by 11ish »

anomad wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:19 pm
Structure ships with all of these shaders (and effects) - http://glsl.erogenous-tones.com/ here you can make modifications to the shaders and copy them to the front SD card of Structure and use your own shaders or effects (w/the caveat that the shaders must be GLES 2.0 compatible, must not ray trace, or have excessive for loops) - but you only to worry about that if you want to make your own shaders.
Extra thanks for that link! I hadn't seen the site with all the shaders before, very helpful. I'm checking them out now …

edit:
If you click on one individual shader from that collection … Is that the same resolution I will get from the Structure? That would be crisp enough for me.
anomad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anomad »

11ish wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:58 pm
anomad wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:19 pm
Structure ships with all of these shaders (and effects) - http://glsl.erogenous-tones.com/ here you can make modifications to the shaders and copy them to the front SD card of Structure and use your own shaders or effects (w/the caveat that the shaders must be GLES 2.0 compatible, must not ray trace, or have excessive for loops) - but you only to worry about that if you want to make your own shaders.
Extra thanks for that link! I hadn't seen the site with all the shaders before, very helpful. I'm checking them out now …

edit:
If you click on one individual shader from that collection … Is that the same resolution I will get from the Structure? That would be crisp enough for me.
. no, Structure only outputs NTSC or PAL video format. the website renders on your local GPU, so it may be faster/higher resolution that Structure can produce.
11ish
Nerd With Wound

Post by 11ish »

I see. Thanks!
anomad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anomad »

11ish wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:52 pm I have a Syntony CBV001 coming this week and hundreds of old VHS tapes from the 90s to play with as well, so all this and that one new thing, be it the Structure or the Hypno, should be enough for a while. But sure, who knows where it will lead me eventually … :)
. i love running VHS through Structure using it as a video FX unit - this is an Aeon Flux tape in to Structure and i was randomly changing generators and effects as well as how they were mixed -

-james
11ish
Nerd With Wound

Post by 11ish »

anomad wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:19 pmStructure ships with all of these shaders (and effects) - http://glsl.erogenous-tones.com/
So all the shaders on all 37 pages of the gallery are already available in the Structure module?
I like this one ("turbulent"): http://glsl.erogenous-tones.com/e#1797.0 I think it's the most 3D looking one …
How many shaders can be intertwined together in a single patch?

Return to “Video Synthesis”