Erogenous Tones - STRUCTURE

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.
Doublecoolbossman
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Erogenous Tones - STRUCTURE

Post by Doublecoolbossman »

I figured out the question above.. there is a fade setting in the system menu.

Would love to be able to use a cc increment to change presets. I know I can do this with a gate or a midi note, but this would work so well with the midi cc to change patterns on the op-z that I'm currently using.
anomad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anomad »

Doublecoolbossman wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:46 pm Is there any tips for transitioning between presets faster? Such as, does staying within the same node set help (this will be the first thing I test)? Or is the fade out and in time (which is pretty minimal already) always the same between all presets?
. when you change presets (or any of the shaders in a NODE SET) the new files are loaded and compiled on the GPU, then they are displayed. some shaders that are more complicated mathematically or have nested for loops that cause a slight delay in getting rendered.

. some nodes (like MIX) can take a few frames before they're up and running.

. you can also change the fade time in the SYSTEM menu.

-james
anomad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anomad »

. hey everyone who doesn't follow us on Fb -

. STRUCTURE firmware v3.9 released - new GEN, FX, AUD shaders, save NODE FILTER settings in performances, and more - full list and firmware at
https://erogenous-tones.com/structure-firmware/

-james
Kent
Curator/Janitor/Zookeeper

Post by Kent »

anomad wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:43 pm . hey everyone who doesn't follow us on Fb -

. STRUCTURE firmware v3.9 released - new GEN, FX, AUD shaders, save NODE FILTER settings in performances, and more - full list and firmware at
https://erogenous-tones.com/structure-firmware/

-james
Yes! Will install after today’s hike.
Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk »

Re-posting these because the old links were dead.

Custom shaders for Structure:

Download the shaders:
https://marsmelons.com/structure/GRTLFSK.zip
https://marsmelons.com/structure/GRTLFSK2.zip
https://marsmelons.com/structure/GRTLFSK3.zip
Kent

Post by Kent »

Daisuk wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:30 am Re-posting these because the old links were dead.

Download the shaders:
Fantastic work! Some really nice stuff in there. Sadly, the first link is 404.
Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk »

Kent wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:12 am
Daisuk wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:30 am Re-posting these because the old links were dead.

Download the shaders:
Fantastic work! Some really nice stuff in there. Sadly, the first link is 404.
Even if you right click and "save as"? Works here. :)

Oh, and let me just re-iterate that I've not made these shaders from scratch. I've simply modded them, and modded the code for them to fit on Structure. They're all open source freebie GLSL-shaders, I've just made them more to my liking and made them "modulateable" and ready for Structure. :)
Kent

Post by Kent »

Thanks, Daisuk, right clicking worked. I couldn't do it on my iPad.

Nonetheless, work is work and I think you for shading your modded shaders. I wish I knew how to learn this someone quickly. Any tips?
Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk »

Kent wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:13 am Thanks, Daisuk, right clicking worked. I couldn't do it on my iPad.

Nonetheless, work is work and I think you for shading your modded shaders. I wish I knew how to learn this someone quickly. Any tips?
How to mod shaders? It's been a while since I did, but it's not particularly hard, so can write a little guide here later if I remember. :)
Kent

Post by Kent »

if you find the time, yes, pls.
Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk »

So, basically, you go to this repository of GLSL-shaders to find a shader you like that you'd like to mod:
https://glslsandbox.com/

But! Quite a few of them are too complicated to run on Structure. Usually, if the code for the shader is very long, they don't work. If it looks very 3D, it don't work. I tend to look for quite simple looking 2D shapes. I personally prefer black and white shaders as they work really well with feedback in Structure, and you can colorize it later anyway. There's a lot of "spam"-like shaders and a lot of bullshit, so you need to go through quite a bit to find something good, but stick with it, and you'll find some here and there.

Anyways - you simply need to copy part of the code from those open source shaders into the Structure GLSL Sandbox page, which is here:
http://glsl.erogenous-tones.com/e

If you can get a shader to show up in your browser when you're on that site, that shader is good to go!

Erogenous Tones have a three part instruction video showing you how to test out shaders and copy them to Structure. But a lot of it isn't necessarily that useful. Part 2 is the most useful part. Here it is:

Part 1 is just an intro, not really necessary. Part 3 goes a bit more in depth on how you can assign certain parameters to be modulateable, but you don't really need to learn all of it.

Mostly it's just about learning what part of the code you need to copy (seen in part 2 posted above), and how to make a parameter modulateable (part 3). Which is quite simple, you don't need to know any coding what so ever, as soon as you see what you need to copy, you can do that with all compatible shaders.

Then, you can further mod all the shaders once you have them copied into the sandbox website, and it's running, by simply changing the numbers on the functions in the code. You can just experiment with this. If a number says 0.5, you can for instance write 45,5, and see what happens. Likewise, if you see stuff like "sin" "cos" or "tri" or whatever, all of these are interchangeable, so you can swap them out with one another and something funky will usually happen. :)

Hope that helps! :)
Kent

Post by Kent »

Thanks for all of this thorough information. I managed to install the 2nd and 3rd shader packs but I can't unzip the 1st. I think that it may be corrupt.

Thanks again for the help. I'm going to dive into some modifications in just a little bit.
Doublecoolbossman
Wiggling with Experience

Anyone mess with the overrides very much? I can't get it to work how I think it should. My assumption is that I could make changes in LEM and in nodes and have that affect all similar nodes and LEM in each preset within a performance.. but that doesn't seem to work for me. I'm hoping and suspecting it's user error..I can provide what I'm doing step by step if needed, but didn't want to go through the effort of I'm misunderstanding how it works overall..
Rick Burnett
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Rick Burnett »

I've messed with the overrides quite a bit! :) Since I wrote that code, haha. But in seriousness, describe what you were trying to do, and let's just make sure there isn't some sort of oversight on my part anywhere!

If I understand what you are trying to do, let's say you turn on OVERRIDE for GEN1. Then, in GEN1 you set PARAMETER 1 to be LFO1. Then, anytime you switch to a NODESET with GEN1, the OVERRIDE would take precedence (even if you loaded a preset).

That SHOULD work. If it's not working, well, we need to fix that then! You can write out what you did, or do a video showing you doing the steps as well, and we can get to the bottom of it!

Rick
Erogenous Tones - STRUCTURE Available Now!
Doublecoolbossman
Wiggling with Experience

Thanks for the quick reply Rick! The big thing I'm noticing is the operator in the MATH (add, subtract, mod, etc). Seems to return to defaults rather than save in the lem override. The other MATH settings do seem to persist. I'll work on recording something soon.
anomad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anomad »

Doublecoolbossman wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:56 am Thanks for the quick reply Rick! The big thing I'm noticing is the operator in the MATH (add, subtract, mod, etc). Seems to return to defaults rather than save in the lem override. The other MATH settings do seem to persist. I'll work on recording something soon.
. i wasn't able to reproduce this issue - are you remembering to re-save the override after changing the values? here's what i did:

press MOD VIEWER
press M soft key (left side of screen)
change some parameters on MATH 1
press ENCODER KNOB to exit back to STRUCTURE main window

press MOD SOURCES
press L/E/M OVERRIDE soft key
use ENCODER KNOB to scroll down and highlight [MATH 1] - you should see **UNSAVED** in the right column
press SAVE OVERRIDE soft key
press ENCODER KNOB twice to exit back to STRUCTURE main window

. then when I restarted and looked at the settings in MOD VIEWER - my changes were there.

. let me know if that works :)

-james
the other ET guy who works on STRUCTURE
Doublecoolbossman
Wiggling with Experience

Thanks for chiming in James!

I should've been more clear, the settings persist with restarts or changing to a different perf and back, but change when I change to a different preset containing the same nodes. Still trying to find time to record this.

If I make a preset and then make more iterations of the same node set, the settings seem to persist, it's just that they don't seem to override previously made presets.

If I make preset a, copy that to b, c, etc. All good. But if I do an override in preset c, it's not copied to the previously made a.
Doublecoolbossman
Wiggling with Experience

I don't believe I saved the lemset in this video but I have also done that after saving the individual overrides and got the same result
batch
Collector of fine modules

Post by batch »

THANK YOU!!!
Monday Night Modular - a weekly virtual meetup @ 8pm PT
Days since last purchase = about 3
Doublecoolbossman
Wiggling with Experience

While I'm hounding y'all about the overrides I might as well ask, is there a way we could get midi control over more than the 3 macros tied to the knobs? I'd love to control red green and blue post with ccs but use the knobs for other macro control!
Rick Burnett
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Rick Burnett »

Okay, verified that you found a bug! When the overrides are active on the LEM, when you load a preset it should NOT load up the LEM settings from the preset. This will be fixed in 4.0 when it drops (probably a month). Thanks for letting us know about this!

As far as the Macros are concerned, only 3 can be active at a time, so the other settings, they aren't in the GPU path if you will. We limited it to 3 just to reduce the GPU load, because each action that happens takes away from the GPU total compute power available.

So when you change any of the three macros, I actually JUST put that code into a temporary version of a shader and then load that shader up. If all of them were in there, that last stage would eat up a lot of GPU on all those transformations.

(Other than time, as time isn't a shader modification)
Erogenous Tones - STRUCTURE Available Now!
Doublecoolbossman
Wiggling with Experience

Glad it wasn't just me! Thanks for taking a look at it, I'm looking forward to the update!

That makes sense about the macros, thanks for the explanation.
Doublecoolbossman
Wiggling with Experience

Throwing out one more request.
It would be awesome if the display bar for the colorize macro showed a map of where the colors are-- so one can easily see which direction to turn the knob.
lamu999
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lamu999 »

Hi all, I'd like to pair structure in a roughly 60hp portable case but due to the depth I'm not sure the best solution. 4ms x pods seem good but would love to hear advice. Thanks!
anomad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anomad »

lamu999 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:31 am Hi all, I'd like to pair structure in a roughly 60hp portable case but due to the depth I'm not sure the best solution. 4ms x pods seem good but would love to hear advice. Thanks!
. Structure's depth is 48mm and it fits the 4ms Pod40X Eurocase perfectly. i think w/4ms cases, the 'X' is the deeper option (51mm deep), otherwise things like the 4ms Pod60 are only 34mm deep which is too shallow.

-james

Return to “Video Synthesis”