Syntonie VU00X-series modules: What do they do?

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., daverj

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Syntonie VU00X-series modules: What do they do?

Post by studio460 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:00 am

Hey, folks! I bought a Syntonie CBV001 a few weeks ago and I frigging love it! Happily, much different results than from my Fluxus Duo. Been considering adding the HBO-scramble module, the CBV002, but it's a bit steep for this month's Visa bill. I also got two Syntonie VU001 quad video-DAs, and am impressed with their design, build-quality, and performance (I use them as video-multiples).

I know what a video-DA does (i.e., distributes + amplifies), but have no clue what the other VU-series Syntonie modules do. For those without any LZX component-modules (i.e., those of us with all-composite systems), which VU-series modules would benefit such systems the most? (Know that my general modular knowledge is still at a beginners' level.) Thanks in advance for any replies!

VU002 quad frequency-doubler.
VU003 component to RGB (I know what this one does!).
VU004 quad-inverter.
VU005 dual-sine waveshaper.
VU006 quadrature oscillator.

FetidEye
demonic space drone

Re: Syntonie VU00X-series modules: What do they do?

Post by FetidEye » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:21 am

vu002 = frequency doubler. check the video on the Syntonie site. I really like this module for feedback patching and using it with camera input
vu004 = qua inverter. useful for inverting video input. mixing, feedback situations, I use it together with the vu002 a lot.
vu005 = sine waveshaper. turns the inputed waveform into a sine-like shape. (DIY LZX video VCOs have triangle & square, but not sine)
Sinewaves are super useful for making fluid shapes.
vu006 = quadrature oscillator. from lfo to audio rate osc. for modulations and shapemaking. there are some videos on the site as well.

if you don't have a sync generator & RGB encoder, I'm not sure what would be useful for your system. maybe the vu006?

Midiverse
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Midiverse » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:03 pm

I've been using the vu006 in LFO mode as a modulation source. Since it has 0/90/180/270 degree outputs you can get cool symmetrical style modulations, it's a good one. The vu002 is fun too, especially with a camera/video input.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:33 pm

FetidEye wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:21 am
. . . if you don't have a sync generator & RGB encoder, I'm not sure what would be useful for your system. maybe the vu006?
Thanks for those explanations—appreciate it! I just bought a Gieskes off Reverb with all four plug-in modules; however, I don't have the RGB-interface board, so I assume most of the V00X-series is still of not much use. But if I do enable RGB I/O, I suppose all V00X-modules would be usable?
Midiverse wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:03 pm
I've been using the vu006 in LFO mode as a modulation source. Since it has 0/90/180/270 degree outputs you can get cool symmetrical style modulations, it's a good one. The vu002 is fun too, especially with a camera/video input.
Cool! I have four audio-modules I'm dedicating to video-modulation (plus an LZX Sensory Translator):

• Doepfer A-143-3 Quad-LFO.
• Doepfer A-137-2 Wave Multiplier II.
• Doepfer A-116 VC Waveform Processor.
• Doepfer A-136 Distortion/Waveshaper.

There isn't anything special about "video modulators" other than their smaller operating voltages (i.e., 0-1V), correct? I mean, if output is attenuated, you could use any audio modulator for controlling video modules; e.g., where the Erica Black Octasource (eight LFOs at 45°-increments) would perform similarly to the V006.

FetidEye
demonic space drone

Post by FetidEye » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:11 am

if you would be able to score a LZX Cadet 1 , I have a spare pcb for the RGB encoder and then you would be set.

I'm also working on a expanded RGB IO eurorack module for the 3trinsRGB (with an added S-Video and composite output.)

But I'm not sure if you can run your whole sync from that. (I just got up, it is early:)
ask on the LZX community forum or Discord channel?

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:37 pm

FetidEye wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:11 am
if you would be able to score a LZX Cadet 1 , I have a spare pcb for the RGB encoder and then you would be set . . .

But I'm not sure if you can run your whole sync from that. (I just got up, it is early:)
ask on the LZX community forum or Discord channel?
Excellent! Thank you! I will also ask elsewhere (my own video engineering knowledge is admittedly fairly limited). I will now be on the hunt for an LZX Cadet 1 . . .

FetidEye wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:11 am
I'm also working on a expanded RGB IO eurorack module for the 3trinsRGB (with an added S-Video and composite output.)
Wow! That's great! Keep me posted—I am definitely down for one when you make them (fully -assembled, of course—I'm all-thumbs with a soldering iron)! RGB, S-Video, and composite? Take my money now!

Marizu
Common Wiggler

Post by Marizu » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:03 am

studio460 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:33 pm
• Doepfer A-143-3 Quad-LFO.
• Doepfer A-137-2 Wave Multiplier II.
• Doepfer A-116 VC Waveform Processor.
• Doepfer A-136 Distortion/Waveshaper.

There isn't anything special about "video modulators" other than their smaller operating voltages (i.e., 0-1V), correct? I mean, if output is attenuated, you could use any audio modulator for controlling video modules; e.g., where the Erica Black Octasource (eight LFOs at 45°-increments) would perform similarly to the V006.
It depends on what you are doing.
LFO's and oscillators in the Eurorack audio world typically output bipolar voltages. Things that are kind of "LFO like" in video world are typically unipolar. My BSO Bajascillator outputs 0-1v, for example. You'd need to attenuate and offset the A-143-3 output to get it to do that.
If you are working with vectors, you might be working with a unipolar range, or you might be working with a bipolar range. It would depend on the patch, so different oscillators for different purposes.

The other thing that is special about video modulators is their bandwidth. Audio modulators only need to process signals up to about 20Khz. My video modular oscillators go up to about 1 Mhz, and that's not even getting to single 'pixel' frequency. I use the A-116 VC for video, but it can only smear most of the visuals. No audio wave multiplier will be able to multiply most your high frequency video signals but they might be useful for some of the low frequency ones, or they might create an interesting effect.

Audio wavefolders will be expecting to fold bipolar audio signals. Video oriented wavefolders will be folding signals that are typically within 0-1v.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:17 am

Hey, thanks a lot for that detailed reply, Marizu—it was all very helpful! Your post basically cleared everything up regarding audio-for-video modules. I did just happen to order a Brownshoesonly 5:1, so I've at least solved the voltage-range issue. The unipolar/bipolar issue I still need to address—any suggestions? Thanks again for all the help!

Marizu
Common Wiggler

Post by Marizu » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:52 am

studio460 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:17 am
Hey, thanks a lot for that detailed reply, Marizu—it was all very helpful! Your post basically cleared everything up regarding audio-for-video modules. I did just happen to order a Brownshoesonly 5:1, so I've at least solved the voltage-range issue. The unipolar/bipolar issue I still need to address—any suggestions? Thanks again for all the help!
No worries.

In my experience, the 5v > 1v isn't too much of an issue, but it depends on your modulators. I often use Maths, PNW and the Malekko Quad LFO. All of these allow you to attenuate/attenuvert the range of the output signal. Sometimes, I might actually want to exceed the modulation range in order to have a visual motion that stays still within the clipped region.

As for moving bipolar to unipolar, I use a few things but it depends on the frequency of the signal. If it's an audio rate signal, or an LFO, you can use tools like Maths, Fonitronik Cascade, ALM O/Ax2 or any of the other offset and attenuation utilities. If the signal is video rate (high frequency), then you can use the LZX Cadet Processor, LZX Passage, or basically any video rate mixer (reverselandfill) and add an offset voltage. For voltage manipulation duties, its' probably useful to think in terms of a suite of utilities as opposed to individual modules to acheive a specific task.

FetidEye
demonic space drone

Post by FetidEye » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:08 pm

also check out the LZX Scaler, Visible Signals GainBrain or Wrangler

Return to “Video Synthesis”