Glitch-video: Tips & techniques.

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., daverj

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Glitch-video: Tips & techniques.

Post by studio460 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:21 am

[Note: I wanted to discuss Syntonie a bit, but also wanted to call attention to a technique I saw on the LZX forum, so I kind of combined the two topics here.]

Syntonie glitch-processors:

Although there's a lot of interesting boutique desktop modules on the market, I much prefer to stay in Eurorack-format for space considerations, so I was happily surprised to learn of Syntonie's wares. I have a BPMC Fluxus Duo and have been eyeing Syntonie since most of their products are actually in-stock. I already have a Syntonie VU001 quad video-DA in my cart, then saw their two glitch-modules. Both look cool, but will probably pop for the CBV001 first for economy's sake.

Would like to add the CBV002 someday as well, though. Would be a lot of fun emulating 1980's half-encrypted Cinemax videos where kids in homes without premium-cable tried to see boobs for free.

About to pull the trigger on the CBV001, but was concerned there might be overlap with the Fluxus Duo (i.e., is the circuitry similar?); then I read a post from Syntonie on the LZX forum where they used both. I know that the BPMC unit has two independent glitch-processors and that the CBV001 is a single-processor unit, but that's all I know about their similarities/differences.

• Glitch-modules I own:
• BPMC Fluxus Duo.
• Tymkrs GlitchCRT (x2).

• Syntonie glitch-modules:
• CBV0001: Circuit Bent Video Enhancer.
• CBV0002: Circuit Bent Video Delay (legacy pay-TV encryption effects).

• Other Eurorack glitch-modules currently available? (I've still gotten no response regarding MVIP availability).

As you all know, the original LZX system components are largely unavailable, so I'm working with composite-video modules and looking for other modules which can be used without the benefit of owning a component or RGB core-module. Without the LXZ core-module, of course, my per-channel modulation options are limited.

Glitch-video tips & techniques:

Another LZX member there posted this interesting application—particularly so, since I own both a Phonogene and a 2hp Freez:

Phonogene + 2hp Freez tip from an October 2018 post:

"I’ve gotten fun 'glitchiness' by running video signals through Eurorack audio samplers like the Make Noise Phonogene and 2hp Freez. I usually mult some part of the patch signal and put it through the sampler and then mix it back in to some part of the patch. Modulating the sampler will change the degradation and playback of fragments of the [higher bandwidth] video signal.

"I have also used the Mikrophonie module to touch-glitch video signals directly or as a 'button' for tweaking the sampler in such an approach. The effect does not match typical “glitch” (sync mess / color amplification / edge distortion), but it is fun for altering the quality of your signal. And it all happens upstream of encoding so it doesn’t hurt your sync signal in the end . . . " —drumasaurusrex

Here's the Syntonie post from July 2020:

"CBV001 can process LZX signals, however I kept the signal path AC coupled as on the original archer circuit which is meant for composite, so offsets doesn’t really affects it, and in/out impedance are for composite rather than LZX (input impedance changes with the JFET and CV also), so it’s not really optimized for it, but got nice results coupled with the Cadets and VU. The idea was to keep it simple without adding too many extra components.
VU (Video Utilities) are properly terminated as per LZX standard with 100k to ground at the input and 499ohm in serie for the outputs (except for Composite/Component IO).

"A triple CBV001 to process RGB (or VGA in standalone) could be great, I think Phil did something like this for VGA sometime ago. The number of controls on the CBV001 could be reduced (remove stuff that mainly acts with chroma for exemple), enhance is voltage controllable so controlling all 3 would allow for a dirty fade to black kind of thing, then I would love to be able to have the same kind of control on the glitch effects.

"Been experimenting with JFET as voltage controlled resistor (as it is done for the CV, which is just acting on the input impedance, changing how much the signal is divided at the input), but this configuration requires a path to ground, so not always easy to adapt to existing glitch effects.

"I’ve been processing Component converted to RGB using VU003 with 2x CBV001 and Fluxus Duo, needs some precise setting to have some glitch while keeping a good color balance, but definitely interesting." —Syntonie

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Glitch-video: Tips & techniques.

Post by Agawell » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:07 am

in audio eurorack redundancy is a noob topic - if I have 2 vcas (or whatever) is one redundant? the answer is no..

in video it's the same, but could go so far as I have 5 of whatever module is one redundant and the answer is almost always no (unless it's a core module and then 5 maybe too many depending on the application)
Modular Audio and Video Synthesis on Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

choose the case to fit the modules - not the modules to fit the case!!!

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Glitch-video: Tips & techniques.

Post by studio460 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:30 am

Thanks, Agawell (and thanks for that other thing!). I guess you can't have too many glitch-modules. Well, I couldn't resist and went ahead and ordered a CBV001 last night. It's actually reasonably priced at just 119,00€ for an assembled module ($140USD), plus I ordered two video-DAs at 69,00€ each. Held off for now on the HBO-scrambler module.

Syntonie CBV001 circuit bent video enhancer.

Return to “Video Synthesis”