Erogenous Tones - STRUCTURE

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., daverj

anomad
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Erogenous Tones - STRUCTURE

Post by anomad » Wed May 19, 2021 1:09 pm

studio460 wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 10:50 pm
Regarding user-requests: One of the text-effects I would really like is a "typing text" tool like when you see someone in a movie typing (or the "computer" is "typing"), and the characters read-out on the screen from left-to-right (i.e., something that would be tedious to do by hand in After Effects or whatever). Rather than "fun" type-effects, I'm looking to create more computer-display like effects using the TrueType node. Also would be nice to have clock tool to automate countdowns or to display SMPTE, etc. Totally understand if this is beyond the scope of the module, but the first feature is at the top of my want-list, and would be very nice to have (and seemingly not too difficult to code?).

. when you get your Structure - go to the TXT node, press the List softkey (bottom right of the screen) - if you're not in the TXT:PGM (shown at top of screen) menu, press the Files soft key and choose PGM, then select 'bwTypeCursIn' or 'bwTypeIn'. (btw- this is where you can change the font and the text file you're reading). After you close that menu, press the PARAMS and scroll down to the TXT Node settings and adjust how you want things to be typed. Refer to https://erogenous-tones.com/docs/struct ... /node-txt/ for more information.

. i think something like a fake SMTPE or countdown could be done fairly easily in the 2D node.

-james
Erogenous Tones

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Wed May 19, 2021 5:20 pm

anomad wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 1:09 pm
. when you get your Structure - go to the TXT node . . .

. i think something like a fake SMTPE or countdown could be done fairly easily in the 2D node.

-james
Erogenous Tones
Woohoo! That's awesome! Thanks, James, for taking the time to type all that up. This is soooo cool! Yes, "fake SMPTE" would be totally fine. It would be just a gag to make the screen look all "science-ey."

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Fri May 21, 2021 4:46 pm

anomad wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 1:09 pm
when you get your Structure . . .
It's here!

So f'ing stoked! This is one serious module! Stacks of PCBs, hefty-build, lotta hps! Going to have to rip out some stuff just to play with this tonight . . .

This is awesome!

Stuffed it into a powered 4ms pod64x I bought for something else. I sent two LFOs to Structure's CV1/CV2-inputs from my new Synthesis Technology E355 morphing dual-LFO (a very organic LFO and seems absolutely perfect for Structure). Dialed-in a stuttering, pulsating LFO, and, holy crap . . . it's alive! Looks like the microbic alien lifeform from The Andromeda Strain.

This module is amaz-a-f'ing-ballz, and I've only played with the first preset! Can't wait to load up my favorite TrueType fonts, not necessarily for graphic design, but for mimicking computer displays (like in a spaceship); e.g., "LED" and other "computer-ey" fonts.

Not a huge fan of the space-typeface de rigueur, Microgramma/Eurostile (e.g., from "Silent Running" to the "Sulaco"), but with that font I can even replicate HAL's status screens from "2001".

This module is so powerful and so deep, with more nodes to come. I know LZX' legacy modules and the coming Chromagnon are formidable video-synthesis tools (and all-analog to boot), but I'm really happy with Structure. Between this, Lumen, Vegas, GlitchCRT, and my coming Fluxos Duo, I don't see myself needing much more (save for a Panasonic AVE5 or some other standalone video hardware).

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Wed May 26, 2021 11:05 pm

Help!

Okay, I'm stuck. I tried looking in the manual, but I'm totally lost. How do I send a composite video signal into Structure? I know you can load a few hundred low-resolution frames into Structure via the the microSD slot, but that's not what I'm after. Is Structure able to process a live CVBS-input? Admittedly, I'm still very unfamiliar with Structure's, ummm . . . structure. Any tips would be most appreciated!

If I'm super-stupid and it's right there in the manual somewhere, apologies!

Last edited by studio460 on Fri May 28, 2021 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marizu
Common Wiggler

Post by Marizu » Thu May 27, 2021 3:57 am

studio460 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 11:05 pm
Help!

Okay, I'm, stuck. I tried looking in the manual, but I'm totally lost. How do I send a composite video signal into Structure?
That's the correct input. The video needs to come in through a VID Node.
The nodeset in your picture (obviously nopt a photograph) doesn't have a VID node. You need to select a nodeset that has VID in it.
The switch called Input Select needs to be switched down to the CVBS.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Thu May 27, 2021 4:17 pm

Marizu wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 3:57 am
That's the correct input. The video needs to come in through a VID Node.
The nodeset in your picture (obviously nopt a photograph) doesn't have a VID node. You need to select a nodeset that has VID in it.
The switch called Input Select needs to be switched down to the CVBS.
Thanks! Great, that makes sense now! So, reading the NODE SET page in the manual, the procedure appears to be:

1. Press NODE SET hard-button on the front panel.
2. Press FILTER soft-button beneath the display.
3. Select VID in the 4x4 grid to only see NODES which include video.

By the way, about one in three boot-ups, my Structure crashes into a random display (don't recall exactly what it looked like). Anyone else experiencing this? I bought this new, about two weeks ago from Detroit Modular. Will check installed firmware version in a minute.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Fri May 28, 2021 3:05 am

Hmmm . . . I tried the above, and I think I loaded a NODE with VID, but in Structure's preview monitor all I ever see is a green screen where (presumably) the video input signal should appear. The output from Structure doesn't show the video source at all. The input select switch is in the down (CVBS) position. I tested the output of the white phono cable, and composite video is definitely coming out of it. Here's a photo of one set-up I tried:

Sync
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sync » Fri May 28, 2021 10:46 am

This module looks incredibly cool-- seems to have most of the features I've been looking for. But the documentation is kind of weak and their site directs questions to Facebook which I don't do, and I won't be starting that for this...

The NODE Dictionary section of the User Guide seems to lack any more detail than the inputs and parameters, so I presume you have to look at a particular MIX script to see how things can get mixed, such as sum/difference/min/max or color key to see what's already available and/or what can be homegrown with the right script?

I also gather that 4 is the max number of nodes you can have in a given set? That isn't made completely explicit anywhere that I've found as of yet, except possibly via a comment in the introductory video.

Is there some way a MIX node can make use of a mask image to decide whether to display input 1 or 2 at any given point? If so, how would you reference the mask image file?

If I had a Structure in front of me I could look at the scripts for some of the other node types, but I don't, and I haven't seen much in the way of examples or descriptions of what a MIX node script or IMG node script might actually look like.
--

Sync

NARC NOISE
Wiggling with Experience

Post by NARC NOISE » Fri May 28, 2021 10:54 am

studio460 wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 3:05 am
Hmmm . . . I tried the above, and I think I loaded a NODE with VID, but in Structure's preview monitor all I ever see is a green screen where (presumably) the video input signal should appear. The output from Structure doesn't show the video source at all. The input select switch is in the down (CVBS) position. I tested the output of the white phono cable, and composite video is definitely coming out of it. Here's a photo of one set-up I tried:

Here's what to do:

Click Nodeset, which will bring up a scrollable list....
Use the encoder knob to scroll down to VID
Click button under red select display
push down on encoder knob.

Now you have your video in, and if you turn the encoder knob to the right, each click will add EFX 1, EFX 2, MIX 1, etc....

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Sat May 29, 2021 12:21 am

NARC NOISE wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 10:54 am

Here's what to do:

Click Nodeset, which will bring up a scrollable list....
Use the encoder knob to scroll down to VID
Click button under red select display
push down on encoder knob.

Now you have your video in, and if you turn the encoder knob to the right, each click will add EFX 1, EFX 2, MIX 1, etc....
Thanks for replying! Yes, I did exactly that and Structure's preview display continues to show only a soild-green screen, and its output displays a solid-yellow screen (both on Structure's monitor and on my output-display). I have a valid composite signal going into Structure's CVBS-input and the input-selector switch is in the down-position (CVBS).

I seriously think my Structure has a hardware defect. Any nodes with VID in them only show a solid green screen in Stucture's preview display, where I assume the live video-input should be showing instead.

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Sat May 29, 2021 4:46 pm

studio460 wrote:
first thing to maybe try...
select the node that is only VID.
(just to simplify things)

then try multiple video sources.
i'm not sure what you are trying to feed Structure...but...i would try a couple of different things.
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

anomad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anomad » Sun May 30, 2021 3:16 pm

studio460 wrote:
. it should be showing the incoming video signal. try using just a VID node and run on of the video out to video in and change the HUE (via MACRO 2 ) - does the screen show feedback and slowly crawl off the screen? if not - contact us at https://erogenous-tones.com/about-us/ and we can start the process to get it sent to us so we can take a look.

-james

anomad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anomad » Sun May 30, 2021 6:32 pm

Sync wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 10:46 am
This module looks incredibly cool-- seems to have most of the features I've been looking for. But the documentation is kind of weak and their site directs questions to Facebook which I don't do, and I won't be starting that for this...
. hello, I'm james - one of the devs @ ET. We also take questions here (when I remember to check - or just send me a direct message) or via email via the About Us link on erogenous-tones.com
Sync wrote:
The NODE Dictionary section of the User Guide seems to lack any more detail than the inputs and parameters, so I presume you have to look at a particular MIX script to see how things can get mixed, such as sum/difference/min/max or color key to see what's already available and/or what can be homegrown with the right script?
. guilty as charged! :) - I've been slowly working through updating the documentation, usually as people ask for more info or clarity. Here's my first swing at the MIX node documentation - https://erogenous-tones.com/docs/struct ... node-mix1/

. the nodes are written as GL ES 2.0 fragment shaders. We have the GEN and EFX shaders online at http://glsl.erogenous-tones.com We can add MIX shaders if there is a demand, however we do not currently have the ability to test the MIX between two inputs on the website.
Sync wrote:
I also gather that 4 is the max number of nodes you can have in a given set? That isn't made completely explicit anywhere that I've found as of yet, except possibly via a comment in the introductory video.
. this is correct - there is a maximum of four NODES plus the OUT node which can be controlled via the three MACRO knobs (by default they are Brightness, Hue, and Saturation - but can be changed in the MACRO menu). I've updated our NODE SET documentation to clarify that.
Sync wrote:
Is there some way a MIX node can make use of a mask image to decide whether to display input 1 or 2 at any given point? If so, how would you reference the mask image file?
. in this case, you would use a WIPE node, which takes three inputs - Input 1, Input 2, and a NODE type (like IMG, GEN, VID, CLIP) to be processed by the FRAG shader (like hue key, hue mix, etc.). I see the WIPE NODE part of the documentation needs some work. i'll get that updated soon.
Sync wrote:
If I had a Structure in front of me I could look at the scripts for some of the other node types, but I don't, and I haven't seen much in the way of examples or descriptions of what a MIX node script or IMG node script might actually look like.
. check the online sandbox for the GLSL shaders that STRUCTURE uses. IMG loads the image into the shader (and you can add an effect in the shader if you want). For example, here is an FX shader that demos four effect types - http://glsl.erogenous-tones.com/e#2104.0 It is running on a GEN shader but the concept would be the same for an IMG node (it comes in as a texture2D object). The MIX gets a little more complicated, but i can elaborate on that more if you'd like.

-james

Sync
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sync » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:23 am

anomad wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 6:32 pm
. hello, I'm james - one of the devs @ ET. We also take questions here (when I remember to check - or just send me a direct message) or via email via the About Us link on erogenous-tones.com
Thanks for the response James. I was bemoaning not having a Structure in front of me to look at, but that's since changed-- took advantage of Memorial Day discounts, and it arrived yesterday. It's lookin' great so far. Though it seemed to be a little bit of a squeeze fitting it into my Moog skiff, not because that skiff is kind of shallow, but because it looked like the Structure is sized in the vertical dimension at the hairy edge of the specification. Or at least, that's what it seemed like-- maybe not the front panel, but the board right behind it. Not a problem, but I had to be a little extra careful getting it in.

So it looks like for the most part my impressions regarding how the non-gen nodes work was approximately accurate. Seems like a very powerful setup, kudos for a very intelligent design. At some point (no hurry), it will be interesting to see some example scripts of the other node types that can be used as starting points, even if they don't appear on your website sandbox.

One thing I'm a little unclear on is the difference between node scripts that are on the front SD card, and ones that seem to be already in the machine. I've seen some module designs where you put an SD card in and then have to "copy" from there to the internal memory (Synthesis Technology's Cloud Terrarium does that with their wavetables). But I got the impression from something I read on Structure that you get what's internal and then what you put on the SD card shows up as additional scripts? Or is it when there's something on the card, it replaces what's loaded internally? I'm a little fuzzy on how the internal and SD card storage works...

And so far, I haven't had the chance to browse the effects other than just rando-ing through some of them-- was wondering, are there edge-detection effects and other image processing effects like emboss or blur or sharpen? Sounds like something a GPU would be able to handle with the right coaxing...
--

Sync

anomad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anomad » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:04 am

Sync wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:23 am
Thanks for the response James. I was bemoaning not having a Structure in front of me to look at, but that's since changed-- took advantage of Memorial Day discounts, and it arrived yesterday. It's lookin' great so far. Though it seemed to be a little bit of a squeeze fitting it into my Moog skiff, not because that skiff is kind of shallow, but because it looked like the Structure is sized in the vertical dimension at the hairy edge of the specification. Or at least, that's what it seemed like-- maybe not the front panel, but the board right behind it. Not a problem, but I had to be a little extra careful getting it in.

So it looks like for the most part my impressions regarding how the non-gen nodes work was approximately accurate. Seems like a very powerful setup, kudos for a very intelligent design. At some point (no hurry), it will be interesting to see some example scripts of the other node types that can be used as starting points, even if they don't appear on your website sandbox.
. welcome to Structure! :)

. most nodes are done w/GLSL shaders except for TXT (which are pre-compiled and not user modifiable) and 2D which use pycairo (Python3 and Cairo 2D library) scripts that users can edit and create. If you have a spare Raspberry Pi 3b+ and an SD card, you can create your own 2D nodes - check out this video for an overview -

. the other node types are GLSL shaders (GL ES v2.0) which can be edited in any text editor, copied to the front SD card of Structure and run. most shaders take the form of the GEN of EFX nodes ( a few having multiple texture2D elements).
Sync wrote:
One thing I'm a little unclear on is the difference between node scripts that are on the front SD card, and ones that seem to be already in the machine. I've seen some module designs where you put an SD card in and then have to "copy" from there to the internal memory (Synthesis Technology's Cloud Terrarium does that with their wavetables). But I got the impression from something I read on Structure that you get what's internal and then what you put on the SD card shows up as additional scripts? Or is it when there's something on the card, it replaces what's loaded internally? I'm a little fuzzy on how the internal and SD card storage works...
. i believe images (IMG), clips (CLIP) and fonts (loaded in to /sdcard/fonts) - will override the Structure default media lists.

. all nodes that use GLSL shaders will add the shaders from the front SD card to the list - but they are not copied to the internal storage. For example, if you create some new GEN shaders and copy them to your front SD card they will appear in the list of available GEN shaders. However, if you add .PNG images to /sdcard/images/ directory, the default test pattern will not be included in the list of images that can be loaded.
Sync wrote:
And so far, I haven't had the chance to browse the effects other than just rando-ing through some of them-- was wondering, are there edge-detection effects and other image processing effects like emboss or blur or sharpen? Sounds like something a GPU would be able to handle with the right coaxing...
. yes, we have emboss, blur, and sharpen. all the effects are GLSL shaders and run on the GPU for maximum performance :)

. blur is the trickiest of those effects due to the number of passes on the frame buffer blur needs. if you select an EFX node by pressing the soft key to the left of screen where the NODE is displayed, it should highlight yellow. Press the 'LIST' softkey and you should see a full list of the effect shaders you can select. Alternatively, you can select the EFX node and press the < PREV or NEXT > softkeys to walk through the list of effects.

-james

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:16 am

PXL_20210611_035330222~2.jpg
My new setup. The main output is going to an HDMI converter and capture card for streaming. The built-in preview is great and helpful but there are definitely times where you need a monitor still.

Here it is getting modulation from my main rig but it's also extremely competent with just the maths and dual x fade. I spent a few days completely mesmerized playing it on the couch plugged into the TV.

I think you could do a compelling set with just this and an audio feed from the soundboard. If you want to build something similar I think it'd be about $1500 plus whatever projector you can get your hands on. Not cheap but a lot more attainable than what it would take to do this much in analog video...though I can see how having a more hands on system would feel less menu divey. Still, the FX and feedback are so powerful and having it self-contained is a boon in reproducibility.

I didn't have room so I put it on a laptop tray on a desk mounted arm. The monitor is on a ball tripod that clips to the tray. It's working out great and it's all portable. Imagine this on top of a VCR with a projector!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sync
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sync » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:05 am

Been having a lot of fun with Structure-- this thing is pretty deep! Played around with 3D, though had to go through a couple of gyrations to get it right. Problem is, what I want to use for creation is ZBrush, but I haven't quite figured out how to get the UVs and Normals right from there. So what I've had to do to make it work is export & import into Blender and then sort through the fact that the video shows a UI that didn't match the version I can run (had to find one that worked on Windows 7, as the latest release doesn't). But I did finally sort it out and got several 3D shapes working, with typically around 50-100k triangles.

So next, I'm wanting to try something that seems like it should be simple but I haven't quite figured out the best combo to get there.

What I want is to supply a static png image to use as a backdrop to a 3D object that's texture is fed from a GEN or a 2D. The image should have no effects on it, just a static backdrop behind the 3D object. A combo like one of these I would think:
IMG -------------------------> MIX ----> OUT
     GEN1 -----> 3D --------/

IMG -------------------------> MIX ----> OUT
       2D -----> 3D --------/

However, neither of these combos exist. In fact, there's only two that have both IMG and 3D:

GEN1 IMG1 3D EFX1

or

VID IMG1 3D

Since VID isn't part of my goal here, the second one clearly isn't what I'm after.

Any thoughts as to how I might accomplish this feat? Is there some way I can use GEN1 IMG1 3D EFX1 to do this with the right EFX1?
--

Sync

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:58 am

Sync wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:05 am
What I want is to supply a static png image to use as a backdrop to a 3D object that's texture is fed from a GEN or a 2D. The image should have no effects on it, just a static backdrop behind the 3D object.
3D nodes are fed by two inputs. They have a frag to set which one is the texture but there's also a setting further down to pick which one is the background.

GEN1 IMG1 3D EFX1

So you would pick input1ToShape to feed it the GEN and then set Background Mode to Input2 to feed that the IMG. Then you still have the EFX free to do whatever!

Sync
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sync » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:03 pm

scragz wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:58 am

3D nodes are fed by two inputs. They have a frag to set which one is the texture but there's also a setting further down to pick which one is the background.

GEN1 IMG1 3D EFX1

So you would pick input1ToShape to feed it the GEN and then set Background Mode to Input2 to feed that the IMG. Then you still have the EFX free to do whatever!
Good to hear it's possible, and thanks for the response-- though I'm kind of confused as to exactly how to make those settings. I hit Display until I'm on the FILES page and I can see the 3D note has three values, a FRAG a VERT and an OBJ. If I select 3D and hit List I can see the OBJ options, but do I need to change the FRAG value here (currently is Input1ToShape) and if so, how, or do I need to go somewhere else to tell it what Input1 is? IMG1 is already set to my backdrop image, but where do I see "Background Mode"?

And also, is there an EFX option that is a straight pass-thru that won't confuse what I'm getting by adding effects?
--

Sync

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:50 pm

Sync wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:03 pm
scragz wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:58 am

GEN1 IMG1 3D EFX1

Good to hear it's possible, and thanks for the response-- though I'm kind of confused as to exactly how to make those settings. I hit Display until I'm on the FILES page and I can see the 3D note has three values, a FRAG a VERT and an OBJ. If I select 3D and hit List I can see the OBJ options, but do I need to change the FRAG value here (currently is Input1ToShape) and if so, how, or do I need to go somewhere else to tell it what Input1 is? IMG1 is already set to my backdrop image, but where do I see "Background Mode"?

And also, is there an EFX option that is a straight pass-thru that won't confuse what I'm getting by adding effects?
Oh dude, you are missing out on the most important page! Select the 3D node and hit the PARAMS button from the main display page to get to the PARAMS page with the real nitty gritty of algorithm parameters.

This is also where you can disable the EFX (scroll down to Initial Bypass State). Or you can also disable it if you select the noEffect01 FRAG.

Sync
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sync » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:04 pm

scragz wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:50 pm

Oh dude, you are missing out on the most important page! Select the 3D node and hit the PARAMS button from the main display page to get to the PARAMS page with the real nitty gritty of algorithm parameters.

This is also where you can disable the EFX (scroll down to Initial Bypass State). Or you can also disable it if you select the noEffect01 FRAG.
Thanks, that's a big help. I said it was deep, I've only had a chance to wade into the shallow end so far it seems.
--

Sync

Sync
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sync » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:41 pm

Success! Here's a quick clip of what it's starting to look like. I think I may try other sorts of rotational motions as it looks better from some angles than others. Maybe just around the Z axis with a little wobble of the other two axes driven by input audio or something...

--

Sync

anomad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anomad » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:12 pm

@Sync - very cool! check out the LFO, Envelope, Math (LEM) settings under the MOD VIEWER menu (button on main panel) for creating internal modulations that you can route to the node parameters as well!

@scragz - thank you for providing an excellent explanation on how to set it up! :)

-james

Sync
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sync » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:57 pm

Here's a puzzle I have about the module-- all the pots seem to be centered around 9:00 rather than 12:00 like every other module I've ever seen. Anyone know what the thinking process was behind that?
--

Sync

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ras Thavas » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:51 pm

I believe this was discussed elsewhere, but going from memory, ER had an existing supply of pots they had to use for Structure and due to their size/configuration the only way they could fit behind the panels was to be tilted off axis.

I'm fairly new to Structure and this offset is still mildly frustrating to me at times, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Sync wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:57 pm
Here's a puzzle I have about the module-- all the pots seem to be centered around 9:00 rather than 12:00 like every other module I've ever seen. Anyone know what the thinking process was behind that?

Return to “Video Synthesis”