Zorlon Cannon MKII....?

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

mhtones
Dreams in CV

Re: Zorlon Cannon MKII....?

Post by mhtones » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:10 pm

I am absolutely loving my Zorlon Cannon mk2s for generating different gate sequences that can be synced with an incoming clock. I loved one so much, I bought a second so I could sometimes have one whole ZC dedicated to mangling the Tyme Sefari. :tu: I'm also using the ZCs with LxD, Optomix strike inputs and also 2 passive legs (Takaab and Intellijel). But with the passive LPGs that don't have a dedicated "strike" input to convert the ZC gates into triggers, I just found a Ladik U-030 Gate to Trigger converted on the BST so should get it in a few days. Got the U-030 specifically to convert the ZC gates to triggers for the LPGs.

I also did some measuring of the ZCmk2 outputs and noticed that on my O'Tool + scope that the Channel A (top) gate outputs send a 8.3V gate. Quite different from what some others have said in posts above. I get this 8.3V gate on both of my ZCmk2s even though I was expecting 5v gates given the literature and other user comments.

Interestingly, the channel B (bottom) outputs give me about 6.8V peak to peak (since they are bipolar) which is lower than I expected since these outputs are marked as 10V pp. FYI, I'm running the latest firmware version on both ZCmk2s.

So I find that the channel A outputs are more than sufficient to give a good ping to my LxD and Optomix strike inputs which expect higher than 5v. The lower ones, not so much unless I offset and/or boost them. But, the bottom outputs are better for audio rate since they are bipolar. By having 2 ZCmk2s, I have enough gate pattern variability in my 8 upper channels.

As an aside, I decided on the Ladik U-030 (instead of the U-031) because it specifically stated in the writeup that the U-030 resultant trigger amplitude would vary based on the incoming Gate voltage (The U-031 spits out 5v triggers with any Gate voltage meeting the threshold). I thought this would be good for dynamic trigger generation if I used the Mix outputs of the ZC Cannon (not sure if this will work). For the Channel A outputs, I'm hoping that I get around 8.3V triggers from it which should make my LxD and Optomix ring nicely. I'll let you guys know what I find once I test it out.
FS/FT (US): Zvex Instant Lofi Junky pedal

illest4realest
Learning to Wiggle

Post by illest4realest » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:05 pm

Recently acquired one and I love it.

I discovered Harvestman way too late but I've been making up for lost time. Can't wait for the new ones :yay:

mhtones
Dreams in CV

Post by mhtones » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:45 pm

mhtones wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:10 pm
As an aside, I decided on the Ladik U-030 (instead of the U-031) because it specifically stated in the writeup that the U-030 resultant trigger amplitude would vary based on the incoming Gate voltage (The U-031 spits out 5v triggers with any Gate voltage meeting the threshold). I thought this would be good for dynamic trigger generation if I used the Mix outputs of the ZC Cannon (not sure if this will work). For the Channel A outputs, I'm hoping that I get around 8.3V triggers from it which should make my LxD and Optomix ring nicely. I'll let you guys know what I find once I test it out.
Forgot to follow-up on this in case anyone was interested. It turns out that the ZCmk2 Mix outputs can give dynamic rhythmic patterns when patched to the LxD strike inputs. However, interestingly, it's not entirely as I expected. I get a "louder" strike result when the Mix outputs the largest increase in voltage between steps. i.e. If a step is max negative voltage and then immediately steps to a max positive voltage, then the strike is loudest (i.e. opens the lpg the most). As opposed to going from 0v to max positive which still is enough to strike, but just doesn't open the lpg as much. So, to get the loudest strikes on the Lxd, I set some of the ZCmk2 knobs to full CCW (negative) and some to full CW (positive). Any knob settings less than full CW/CCW will give "softer" strikes which leads to some nice dynamic striking patterns. Of course, it's a little difficult to "plan" the dynamic striking patters given the nature of the ZC Mix output combining all of the different gate patterns. But, it's a nice way to get some dynamic variation. Especially if you lay that over a separate 4x4 kick beat. :party:
FS/FT (US): Zvex Instant Lofi Junky pedal

Return to “The Harvestman”