Interested in a reprint of Allen Strange's Electronic Music?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, Kent, Joe., luketeaford

Allen Strange's Electronic Music... do you want a copy?

Print copy for under $100 USD plus shipping
22%
Print copy for under $50 USD plus shipping
57%
E-copy at a reasonable price
21%

Total votes: 952

j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Interested in a reprint of Allen Strange's Electronic Music?

Post by j450nn014n »

luchog wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:01 pm Keep in mind that there's still over a week go as of this posting (9 days). Most Kickstarter projects see their biggest surges in funding in the first few and last few days. I don't think it will hit 500%, but there's a (small) chance it could make 450% during that last minute rush.
In mind. Good point. We got major upsurges when Walker Farrell did his youtube video premiere on the project and when the perfect circuit article came out. So if we don't get a last minute surge I won't be worried. It will be nice if people miss out... and then they can push stores to carry it.
Autistic. I like making noises at my workplace. I usually end up breaking something.
Check out Allen Strange Kickstarter.
galanter2
Wiggling with Experience

Post by galanter2 »

Looking forward to my soft and pdf versions! Thanks for doing this!
umma gumma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by umma gumma »

Well that is just awesome!

Congratulations! Really glad it is all working out, and looking forward to reading the book. Must be nice for the family to see the synth community's appreciation for his work.
drxcm
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by drxcm »

It has been amazing watching this thread for so long and finally it is realised. Amazing.
A
Maze
Ing
j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Last 5 days to get reprint of Allen Strange's Electronic Music?

Post by j450nn014n »

You heard right! Last 5 days to get reprint of Allen Strange's Electronic Music?
Tell your friends! Tell your enemies! Tell the cat sitting on top of your rack! Send them to:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jasonnolan/allen-stranges-electronic-music/ today! Or tomorrow. Or for the next 5 days.

Seriously though. Thanks. We're at 438% funded with over 2800 backers. The project is going to print and everyone will get their copies. It's been exhilarating and scary and pretty obsessive. I've been checking the stats continuously for the past 25 days. So far we have 2008 requests for hard cover, 1051 for soft cover and 1386 for PDF, for a total of 4445 copies of the book. That is NOT what I was expecting. I thought everyone would go for soft, then PDF then hard.

Still, I want to get more pledges just because I've been pushing this so long that I can't give up until it is over, even if I don't have to. I guess. :) Anyway, this is my last 'get out the pledge' push. You'll hear back from me next friday with the final count. THANKS!
Autistic. I like making noises at my workplace. I usually end up breaking something.
luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford »

Hey Jason-- quick question (probably nothing): I'm in for the $65 CAD pledge called Hardcover & PDF, fridge magnet & sticker. The description says softcover but I presume that's just a copy and paste error? If not, please let me know and I'll back the primo edition...
Bodo1967
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 »

luketeaford wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:39 am Hey Jason-- quick question (probably nothing): I'm in for the $65 CAD pledge called Hardcover & PDF, fridge magnet & sticker. The description says softcover but I presume that's just a copy and paste error? If not, please let me know and I'll back the primo edition...
j450nn014n wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:03 am
Mr. Aloud wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:11 am hard soft.png

Minor copy paste error. Doesn´t really bug me, since I´m going all in anyway ;)
Ya, and I can't change it! :) So much for asking people to check it over in advance. Thanks for pointing it out though. I'm sure you won't be the last.
;)
... why buy it for $100 when you can build it yourself for $150?
auxpin
Common Wiggler

Post by auxpin »

Been following this thread for a long time so happy to see it all come together.
I'm now in as a late backer... being a tight northerner I'd been back & forth spluttering and moaning about international postage charges (to the UK) and how courier companies rip us off. All of which we all know is absolutely beyond Jason's control.
Anyway, I've backed the hard copy+ etc. Thanks for all your hard work putting this together Jason :tu:
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
dual.bandcamp.com
j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n »

luketeaford wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:39 am Hey Jason-- quick question (probably nothing): I'm in for the $65 CAD pledge called Hardcover & PDF, fridge magnet & sticker. The description says softcover but I presume that's just a copy and paste error? If not, please let me know and I'll back the primo edition...
Hi Luke; Ya, that was a my error. I didn't understand how KS works and it got all loopy. They wanted you to create and duplicate and modify things, and at the same time the windows were just opening and moving. Like stupid web pages are, and I missed correcting it. You'll get what the pledge says, versus what it is described as. Promise! :) And thanks for pledging!
j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n »

auxpin wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:53 am Been following this thread for a long time so happy to see it all come together.
I'm now in as a late backer... being a tight northerner I'd been back & forth spluttering and moaning about international postage charges (to the UK) and how courier companies rip us off. All of which we all know is absolutely beyond Jason's control.
Anyway, I've backed the hard copy+ etc. Thanks for all your hard work putting this together Jason :tu:
Thanks! I know what you mean. It was embarrassing on my part to ask that much. DOn't forget that KS takes 10% of everything, including postage, which makes it worse. Never heard the term 'tight northerner'. Don't forget... any extra money goes to community music projects. Probably something to drakemusic in the UK.
southphillysynths
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by southphillysynths »

Also a silly question probably answered somewhere, if I wanted like 3 more back up paperback copies, will there be a way for that? Or like can I buy a case extra of paperback?
auxpin
Common Wiggler

Post by auxpin »

j450nn014n wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:13 am
auxpin wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:53 am Been following this thread for a long time so happy to see it all come together.
Thanks! I know what you mean. It was embarrassing on my part to ask that much. DOn't forget that KS takes 10% of everything, including postage, which makes it worse. Never heard the term 'tight northerner'. Don't forget... any extra money goes to community music projects. Probably something to drakemusic in the UK.

I try to avoid any Yorkshire stereotypes, eg. I've never worn a flat cap and we got rid of the whippet & pigeons years ago ;) but there's no denying my frugality
Having read every post on this thread you have handled the intricacies of this project in an expertly manner. To be clear though the cost of the book & goodies is well worth the price! I've paid more for used academic music technology books in the past. My personal internal grumbling was a general grievance towards courier companies and their constant hiking of postage charges.

And on a serious note I'd not come across Drake Music, it looks like they're doing fantastic community work and I'm more than happy to be supporting such endeavours.
Thanks again Jason
dual.bandcamp.com
luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford »

Bodo1967 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:46 am
j450nn014n wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:03 am
Mr. Aloud wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:11 am hard soft.png

Minor copy paste error. Doesn´t really bug me, since I´m going all in anyway ;)
Ya, and I can't change it! :) So much for asking people to check it over in advance. Thanks for pointing it out though. I'm sure you won't be the last.
;)
haha damn I almost never do that but you got me this time! :doh:
mmelnick
No melody, no harmony

Post by mmelnick »

Just backed this project. Thank you.
matthewmelnick.com
metrono.me
bloodofazombie.com
darksidenyc.com
myworld.ebay.com/brooklyn_collectables
j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n »

southphillysynths wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:31 am Also a silly question probably answered somewhere, if I wanted like 3 more back up paperback copies, will there be a way for that? Or like can I buy a case extra of paperback?
Not silly, and answered somewhere a few times. You can go back into your pledge and do 'add ons' I think they're called to add books. If you're looking for a case, let me know why? Bulk buy for friends is reasonable, or classroom. Or just to make a chair from. DM me?
luchog
Crazy Pony

Re: Last 5 days to get reprint of Allen Strange's Electronic Music?

Post by luchog »

j450nn014n wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:41 am Seriously though. Thanks. We're at 438% funded with over 2800 backers.
445% now.

I may have been wrong about this thing not hitting 500%.
efluon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by efluon »

j450nn014n wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:25 am
southphillysynths wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:31 am Also a silly question probably answered somewhere, if I wanted like 3 more back up paperback copies, will there be a way for that? Or like can I buy a case extra of paperback?
Not silly, and answered somewhere a few times. You can go back into your pledge and do 'add ons' I think they're called to add books.
Actually i haven't found how to do that. you can change your pledge, and choose one of the "add ons" which seems to be the same as the rewards.. but adding a 2nd paperback does not seem possible.
j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n »

efluon wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:23 pm
Not silly, and answered somewhere a few times. You can go back into your pledge and do 'add ons' I think they're called to add books.
Actually i haven't found how to do that. you can change your pledge, and choose one of the "add ons" which seems to be the same as the rewards.. but adding a 2nd paperback does not seem possible.
Perhaps I don't understand what you're trying to do... I'm assuming it is adding more softcovers to and existing pledge for a softcover. I just checked the rewards and at my end it says you can add a hard or softcover, and some folks have been adding multiple copies. I can't get into the kickstarter help section because there's something wrong with their server certificates. I know we can fix it, but I just don't see why KS isn't letting you do it. I'll try making up another KS account and see if it lets me.
j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n »

efluon wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:23 pm
Ok. I can see it will only allow you to get 2 extra copies. Can you get this far? Do you need more?
Screen Shot 2022-07-31 at 1.35.14 PM.png
rotexo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rotexo »

Pledged, very excited for my copy!
Bodo1967
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 »

luchog wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:01 pmI don't think it will hit 500%, but there's a (small) chance it could make 450% during that last minute rush.
It's real close to 500 % now - 496 % while I'm writing this, and rising with a slow but steady rate.

It will have crossed the 500 % mark by tomorrow morning (German time / CEST).

:party: :bananaguitar: :chug:
Bodo1967
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 »

... 498 % ...
authorless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by authorless »

499.69%
"Wait a month and buy from a fellow wiggler who's desperate for new modules." - Johnisfaster

"It's oscillators are so precise and lifeless it's actually a digital modelling analog synth." - nadafarms
umma gumma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by umma gumma »

Tempted to buy some stickers just to put it over !

:D
luchog
Crazy Pony

Post by luchog »

Bodo1967 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:31 pm
luchog wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:01 pmI don't think it will hit 500%, but there's a (small) chance it could make 450% during that last minute rush.
It's real close to 500 % now - 496 % while I'm writing this, and rising with a slow but steady rate.

It will have crossed the 500 % mark by tomorrow morning (German time / CEST).

:party: :bananaguitar: :chug:
It's currently sitting at just CA$4.71 away from hitting a full 500%; with over a day left to go. All that's needed is one more backer.

Looks like the last-minute rush is rather bigger than expected. Quite happy to be wrong about this one. :)

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”