Interested in a reprint of Allen Strange's Electronic Music?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, Kent, Joe., luketeaford

Allen Strange's Electronic Music... do you want a copy?

Print copy for under $100 USD plus shipping
22%
Print copy for under $50 USD plus shipping
57%
E-copy at a reasonable price
21%

Total votes: 952

Reality Checkpoint
Confused By Electricity

Re: Interested in a reprint of Allen Strange's Electronic Music?

Post by Reality Checkpoint »

Thank you for the explanation. I wish Kickstarter didn't take a fee from charitable donations!
optofonik
Learning to Wiggle

Post by optofonik »

Just backed it and posted the Kickstarter ling to all the related FB groups. I'm looking forward to holding a pristine piece of resurrected history in my hands.
j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n »

Reality Checkpoint wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:45 pm Thank you for the explanation. I wish Kickstarter didn't take a fee from charitable donations!
Agreed, but if I went through a publishing house it would cost more. And if I went through amazon it would be 30%.
They don't see it as a charity donation, since most folks keep the money for the project and profit. KS isn't designed for charity donations, but they should. Thanks for supporting the book and the charity folks.
Autistic. I like making noises at my workplace. I usually end up breaking something.
Check out Allen Strange Kickstarter.
j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n »

optofonik wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:33 pm Just backed it and posted the Kickstarter ling to all the related FB groups. I'm looking forward to holding a pristine piece of resurrected history in my hands.
Thanks! This is going to be an interesting fall full of cardboard boxes and shipping labels for sure.
Autistic. I like making noises at my workplace. I usually end up breaking something.
mishap
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mishap »

optofonik wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:33 pm Just backed it and posted the Kickstarter ling to all the related FB groups. I'm looking forward to holding a pristine piece of resurrected history in my hands.
Might I inquire what the Related FB Groups are?
I'd like to join them!
j450nn014n wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:48 pm
wolfelli wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:00 pm
j450nn014n wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:58 pm I'm going to start the kickstarter at 12:01am July 7. If you've signed up, you'll get a notification.
Holy moly! Thank you for all your dedicated work. Cannot believe the moment has arrived!
I'm holy moly too!

Here's the link that will go live 12:01 July 7 EST
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jasonnolan/allen-stranges-electronic-music

Thanks for this! I actually have an old library second edition but the paper is yellow from age and the book is pretty well worn. :'(
So, I've ordered the hardcover + PDF!
hlprmnky
Common Wiggler

Post by hlprmnky »

I just got confirmation from my local library that they do accept donations and would like a copy, so I’ve added another hardcover to my pledge.

Again, massive thanks to @j450nn014n for landing this bird after such a long effort. I’m super stoked to have this work in circulation here (as well as, you know, in my personal collection).
j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n »

mishap wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:31 am Might I inquire what the Related FB Groups are?
I'd like to join them!
Depends on your interests and location. I'm a member of Eurorack DIY, nonlinear circuits builders guild, make noise users group, and then some module specific ones and local buy/sell synth groups for my area. If you build, the Eurorack DIY and nonlinear circuits builders guild are great.
j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n »

hlprmnky wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:29 pm I just got confirmation from my local library that they do accept donations and would like a copy, so I’ve added another hardcover to my pledge.

Again, massive thanks to @j450nn014n for landing this bird after such a long effort. I’m super stoked to have this work in circulation here (as well as, you know, in my personal collection).
That's great. Thanks for doing that.
j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

BIG UPDATE! Re: Interested in a reprint of Allen Strange's Electronic Music?

Post by j450nn014n »

I'm very happy to announce that the PDF will have no DRM!There will be a link in the PDF to the family's web site where people can pay for the copy, but that will be the limit of things. I'm announcing this here first, since this is where the project started, but I'll update the FAQ on the Kickstarter page. Thank you to everyone who shared their feelings about DRM. And the kickstarter's doing great! We're at 370% funded! Have a great weekend.
exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper »

👏🙌🏻
optofonik
Learning to Wiggle

Post by optofonik »

j450nn014n wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:00 am
Thanks! This is going to be an interesting fall full of cardboard boxes and shipping labels for sure.
I'm so happy to spread the word about this bit of history being resurrected.
optofonik
Learning to Wiggle

Post by optofonik »

mishap wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:31 am
Might I inquire what the Related FB Groups are?
I'd like to join them!
Anything related to the gear I own and some Eurorack groups There's quite a few.
j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n »

Perfect Circuit has a new article on the Kickstarter... Electronic Music: Allen Strange's Classic Book Reissued - Jason Nolan on Revitalizing Strange's Text + Kickstarter Details https://www.perfectcircuit.com/signal/a ... ickstarter
DJFonzi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by DJFonzi »

I hope PC and other shops have ordered the book. It should be a regularly stocked item.
j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n »

DJFonzi wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:15 pm I hope PC and other shops have ordered the book. It should be a regularly stocked item.
I'm not shouting it out but there are 2 stores in Canada, 3 in the US, one in each Brighton, Berlin and Prague who will probably be carrying it. I just want the kickstarter dust to settle before moving on to that. And I want to get all the pledges fulfilled before any stores get stock. :)
Bodo1967
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 »

j450nn014n wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:05 amI just want the kickstarter dust to settle before moving on to that. And I want to get all the pledges fulfilled before any stores get stock. :)
:tu: :tu: :tu:

And I'm confident this will actually reach 400 %. I mean, it's still one and a half weeks, and as I write this it's at 389 %.

What you have done - and are continuing to do - for the community is simply fantastic and overwhelming :hail: :hail: :hail: .

Kudos and thanks, and thanks and kudos again!
... why buy it for $100 when you can build it yourself for $150?
DJFonzi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by DJFonzi »

j450nn014n wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:05 am And I want to get all the pledges fulfilled before any stores get stock. :)
Not going to argue there. :)
j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n »

Bodo1967 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:10 am
j450nn014n wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:05 amI just want the kickstarter dust to settle before moving on to that. And I want to get all the pledges fulfilled before any stores get stock. :)
:tu: :tu: :tu:

And I'm confident this will actually reach 400 %. I mean, it's still one and a half weeks, and as I write this it's at 389 %.

What you have done - and are continuing to do - for the community is simply fantastic and overwhelming :hail: :hail: :hail: .

Kudos and thanks, and thanks and kudos again!
THANKS! I appreciate it. I wish someone had beat me to it. I'd pass the appreciated praise and glory for less work :)
Bodo1967
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 »

Bodo1967 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:10 amAnd I'm confident this will actually reach 400 %. I mean, it's still one and a half weeks, and as I write this it's at 389 %.
Less than 20 hours have passed, and now it's 397 %.

You will actually reach 400 % - tomorrow at the latest!

:party: :party: :party: :nana: :nana: :tu: :yay:
... why buy it for $100 when you can build it yourself for $150?
j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n »

Bodo1967 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:04 am
Bodo1967 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:10 amAnd I'm confident this will actually reach 400 %. I mean, it's still one and a half weeks, and as I write this it's at 389 %.
Less than 20 hours have passed, and now it's 397 %.

You will actually reach 400 % - tomorrow at the latest!

:party: :party: :party: :nana: :nana: :tu: :yay:
That extra boost was due to the Perfect Circuit interview. It's at 399% at the moment. SO I'm just sitting here stupid clicking refresh every minute.
nodens
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nodens »

For some reason i feel the same, i really want it to go over 400%... If I had a bit more spare cash I'd totally get a some extra copies for donation to libraries just for getting closer, which is a bit crazy, been caught on Kickstarter game and there isn't even any stretch goal 🤣

Oh well, i'm sure a bit of patience will do the same. And I guess it shows how much i'm grateful that you taking on this huge project, not even trying to make a profit from it, and managing beautifully. This must have been a ton of work, and it's not finished... I'm in awe. I said it before, and i'll probably say it again, but you're awesome. Can't thank you enough.

The interview on PC was very nice, btw, it's great to have all the backstory, like how the rights had to be transferred back to the family first. Worth a read even if you followed the discussion here! And I also love how you took the sometimes heated comments (e.g about DRM) and used it as "useful input" to serve as arguments when discussing with copyright holders.

Since i'm a hat wearing guy, i'm very happy to give a tip of it to you, and since i'm french I'll go further and say "chapeau bas, Monsieur".
mosorensen
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mosorensen »

Currently about $240 away from 400%. It is fantastic that this project is working out so well. I feel there should be a stretch goal at 400%. How about extra stickers or a super-sized fridge magnet? A poster with the Dream Machine diagram? :)

Props to the one backer who is in it just for the stickers and magnets.
The Journey is the Destination
nodens
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nodens »

It's been reached now! It's over 9 thousa - i mean, 400%! Congrats! :party: :yay: :sb:
j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n »

mosorensen wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:52 am Currently about $240 away from 400%. It is fantastic that this project is working out so well. I feel there should be a stretch goal at 400%. How about extra stickers or a super-sized fridge magnet? A poster with the Dream Machine diagram? :)

Props to the one backer who is in it just for the stickers and magnets.
nodens wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:26 am For some reason i feel the same, i really want it to go over 400%... If I had a bit more spare cash I'd totally get a some extra copies for donation to libraries just for getting closer, which is a bit crazy, been caught on Kickstarter game and there isn't even any stretch goal 🤣

Oh well, i'm sure a bit of patience will do the same. And I guess it shows how much i'm grateful that you taking on this huge project, not even trying to make a profit from it, and managing beautifully. This must have been a ton of work, and it's not finished... I'm in awe. I said it before, and i'll probably say it again, but you're awesome. Can't thank you enough.

The interview on PC was very nice, btw, it's great to have all the backstory, like how the rights had to be transferred back to the family first. Worth a read even if you followed the discussion here! And I also love how you took the sometimes heated comments (e.g about DRM) and used it as "useful input" to serve as arguments when discussing with copyright holders.

Since i'm a hat wearing guy, i'm very happy to give a tip of it to you, and since i'm french I'll go further and say "chapeau bas, Monsieur".
I've got a big stupid grin plastered on my face right now... 400% supported!. My hat's also doffed and waved with thanks. Funnily enough the "useful input" was really less necessary than I thought it was. It really was timidity on my part. Dealing with someone else's IP is a terrifying responsibility. I didn't want to be cavalier. But in the end, it was barely a discussion. I think that seeing all the wonderful support for Allen's work by the community really made it clear to them that this was a labour of love all around. Still a stupid grin. And I'm not known to smile.

I'll have to go look up about stretch goals. Getting this far was my stretch goal, but perhaps something else cool can be arranged.

Thanks again, to both of you and all MW-ness for really making this possible.
luchog
Crazy Pony

Post by luchog »

Keep in mind that there's still over a week go as of this posting (9 days). Most Kickstarter projects see their biggest surges in funding in the first few and last few days. I don't think it will hit 500%, but there's a (small) chance it could make 450% during that last minute rush.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”