Interested in a reprint of Allen Strange's Electronic Music?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, Kent, Joe., luketeaford

Allen Strange's Electronic Music... do you want a copy?

Print copy for under $100 USD plus shipping
22%
Print copy for under $50 USD plus shipping
57%
E-copy at a reasonable price
21%

Total votes: 952

umma gumma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Interested in a reprint of Allen Strange's Electronic Music?

Post by umma gumma »

I have nothing to add. Just posting again because I'm stoked this is actually happening.

On Kickstarter day, you should do a celebration video where you crash a champagne bottle into a hardcover copy of the book, like when they launch ships! :D

Or maybe just a spare cover, so you don't ruin a book...or you could auction off the champagne stained #001 copy?
j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n »

ProggyBoog wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:41 am
Eric the Red wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:13 am I’ll be pledging on Friday once payday hits ❤️❤️
Just so you know, Kickstarter does not charge you when you pledge. It charges when the campaign successfully ends. Which, in this case, is August 5th at 7:34 am Pacific Time.

So, if you're budgeting for this, expect the charge to occur at that time. You can pledge at any point before that, and you won't be out any money.
THanks for reminding people about that.
Autistic. I like making noises at my workplace. I usually end up breaking something.
Check out Allen Strange Kickstarter.
j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n »

umma gumma wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:02 pm I have nothing to add. Just posting again because I'm stoked this is actually happening.

On Kickstarter day, you should do a celebration video where you crash a champagne bottle into a hardcover copy of the book, like when they launch ships! :D

Or maybe just a spare cover, so you don't ruin a book...or you could auction off the champagne stained #001 copy?
Love your sense of style! Unfortunately the only copy, from the video when from me, down to Walker and now in the hands of the family. I'll see if they have bubbles!
Autistic. I like making noises at my workplace. I usually end up breaking something.
nodens
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nodens »

Make noise just published the Kickstarter video on their channel... I expect a surge of backers in the next 24 hours :guinness:
authorless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by authorless »

You are about to break $100,000USD. Amazing.
"Wait a month and buy from a fellow wiggler who's desperate for new modules." - Johnisfaster

"It's oscillators are so precise and lifeless it's actually a digital modelling analog synth." - nadafarms
j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n »

authorless wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:40 pm You are about to break $100,000USD. Amazing.
We are at $130k CDN ($100k USD)! Which is 260% of the funding to make this a go. That's over 2500 copies.

Yep. Big jump today thanks to Walker Farrell's premiere of the kickstarter video on the Make Noise Youtube channel.
SmartBits
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SmartBits »

j450nn014n wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:05 pm We are at $130k CDN ($100k USD)! Which is 260% of the funding to make this a go. That's over 2500 copies.
It's at 300% already, congrats! :party:
dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 »

i wanted to say a big congrats to Jason; thanks for making this happen and all the hard work you put into making this a reality.
DJFonzi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by DJFonzi »

Well, this'll get me to 5 copies!
Backed.
mandarinpile
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mandarinpile »

Thank you j450nn014n for seeing this through and for the great price!
satanskates
Common Wiggler

Post by satanskates »

A bit late to the party when it comes to backing, but just signed on for all 3 versions! So exciting
j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n »

SmartBits wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:53 am It's at 300% already, congrats! :party:
dooj88 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:23 am i wanted to say a big congrats to Jason; thanks for making this happen and all the hard work you put into making this a reality.
DJFonzi wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:36 pm Well, this'll get me to 5 copies!
Backed.
mandarinpile wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:46 pm Thank you j450nn014n for seeing this through and for the great price!
satanskates wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:48 pm A bit late to the party when it comes to backing, but just signed on for all 3 versions! So exciting
THANK YOU. We're sort of plateaued at 320%, and I AM NOT COMPLAINING. I have a dream of 400% but I'm not greedy. Hopefully will have some more good news next week. THanks again
Dilibob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dilibob »

This is my first time doing kickstarter, I pledged for the hardbound book. I didn't see any where to put the shipping address, do we get a email or something when it's ready in november to ship, to run the card and give the shipping address?
ProggyBoog
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ProggyBoog »

j450nn014n wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:55 am THANK YOU. We're sort of plateaued at 320%, and I AM NOT COMPLAINING. I have a dream of 400% but I'm not greedy. Hopefully will have some more good news next week. THanks again
There is a very strong tendency for kickstarters to surge in the last 48 hours, as that's when the "remind me" reminders fire. Plateauing at this stage is pretty normal, particularly if there aren't any amount-based add-on goals.

I've backed way too many kickstarters for my own good.
hlprmnky
Common Wiggler

Post by hlprmnky »

Dilibob wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:23 am This is my first time doing kickstarter, I pledged for the hardbound book. I didn't see any where to put the shipping address, do we get a email or something when it's ready in november to ship, to run the card and give the shipping address?
The general form it takes is that when the project completes on Kickstarter(so for us, the 5th of August), your card is run and you get an email to your KS account address with some details. How exactly the PDF distribution, collection of shipping information, etc., happens can vary from project to project after that point (for example some I’ve backed use “BackerKit” which is a whole separate webpage for fulfillment, surveys, etc. but not all projects do) - but it will definitely take the form of “card is charged on the 5th, email(s) to arrange fulfillment thereafter” so make sure you’re checking your spam folder and so forth for the place you get Kickstarter emails.
j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n »

ProggyBoog wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:25 am
j450nn014n wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:55 am THANK YOU. We're sort of plateaued at 320%, and I AM NOT COMPLAINING. I have a dream of 400% but I'm not greedy. Hopefully will have some more good news next week. THanks again
There is a very strong tendency for kickstarters to surge in the last 48 hours, as that's when the "remind me" reminders fire. Plateauing at this stage is pretty normal, particularly if there aren't any amount-based add-on goals.

I've backed way too many kickstarters for my own good.
And played world of goo?

Ya, I am expecting the plateau. My most conservative estimates is that $100CDN of orders an hour, and that would put us well over the hump, as it were. I'm doing a short interview with Perfect Circuit, and if that goes well, it might create a short bump.
j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n »

hlprmnky wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:19 am
Dilibob wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:23 am This is my first time doing kickstarter, I pledged for the hardbound book. I didn't see any where to put the shipping address, do we get a email or something when it's ready in november to ship, to run the card and give the shipping address?
The general form it takes is that when the project completes on Kickstarter(so for us, the 5th of August), your card is run and you get an email to your KS account address with some details. How exactly the PDF distribution, collection of shipping information, etc., happens can vary from project to project after that point (for example some I’ve backed use “BackerKit” which is a whole separate webpage for fulfillment, surveys, etc. but not all projects do) - but it will definitely take the form of “card is charged on the 5th, email(s) to arrange fulfillment thereafter” so make sure you’re checking your spam folder and so forth for the place you get Kickstarter emails.
We'll definitely be doing what Kickstarter recommends for fulfillment. Everything Hlprmnky said. The money is what we need to pay for shipping and distribution costs. The accounting for this kickstarter is actually going through my university. So this is probably one of the safest kickstarters in terms of fulfillment.
Reality Checkpoint
Confused By Electricity

Post by Reality Checkpoint »

I have just read update #6 on the kickstarter page, and I have a slight concern about what you said regarding shipping charges. I have ordered all 3 versions, for shipping to the U.K. I do not in any way want my postal costs subsidised as that means less for the projects that the residual funds go to. For me one of the blessed things about this project is that not only do we benefit from having easy access to a seminal tome, but charitable organisations will benefit too. I would hate to think that they would receive less funding because my shipment has been subsidised.

I would willingly donate any differences to the chosen charities, or perhaps you could notify us which charities (any other than the 2 I have seen?) they are and post a link to their donations page.

However, I am still in awe of the task that you have undertaken and the fantastic reception all your efforts have received. Bravo.
MoS-squared
Common Wiggler

Post by MoS-squared »

Finally got some downtime to ‘back’ this epic project, big thanks to the whole community involved.
I had fun wandering back through 10 pages of comments, but maybe a sticky with the Kickstarter link at the top of the page would help any other stragglers
w.hosp
Common Wiggler

Post by w.hosp »

Reality Checkpoint wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:17 am I have just read update #6 on the kickstarter page, and I have a slight concern about what you said regarding shipping charges. I have ordered all 3 versions, for shipping to the U.K. I do not in any way want my postal costs subsidised as that means less for the projects that the residual funds go to. For me one of the blessed things about this project is that not only do we benefit from having easy access to a seminal tome, but charitable organisations will benefit too. I would hate to think that they would receive less funding because my shipment has been subsidised.

I would willingly donate any differences to the chosen charities, or perhaps you could notify us which charities (any other than the 2 I have seen?) they are and post a link to their donations page.

However, I am still in awe of the task that you have undertaken and the fantastic reception all your efforts have received. Bravo.
Kickstarter allows you to pledge an additional amount to the project, and if you've already made a pledge, you can edit it. That seems to me to be the simplest way.
Reality Checkpoint
Confused By Electricity

Post by Reality Checkpoint »

w.hosp wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:22 am Kickstarter allows you to pledge an additional amount to the project, and if you've already made a pledge, you can edit it. That seems to me to be the simplest way.
Thank you for pointing that out - I had already done that but forgot to mention it. I did think at the time that maybe that could be used for the charities, but I wasn’t sure.
Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen »

Reality Checkpoint wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:17 am I have just read update #6 on the kickstarter page, and I have a slight concern about what you said regarding shipping charges. I have ordered all 3 versions, for shipping to the U.K. I do not in any way want my postal costs subsidised as that means less for the projects that the residual funds go to. For me one of the blessed things about this project is that not only do we benefit from having easy access to a seminal tome, but charitable organisations will benefit too. I would hate to think that they would receive less funding because my shipment has been subsidised.

What I understood is that your postal costs will be subsidised by other people who pay more than the shipping to their destination would cost. So in the end all money is going to charity and we all share the shipping costs with each other to make it easier to clabulate for Jason.

Of course I could be wrong and there is no reason not to donate some more to people in need.
j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n »

Hi. Thanks for your comments. Kickstarter doesn't work that way. I had to spend hours on UPS, DHL, etc., calculating shipping costs. I have to average the cost of shipping to a country, because it is different when you ship to London versus Portree, but kickstarter only has one option. Say london is 10pounds and Portree's 12pounds. I'd probably choose about 10.5 pound (since most people are going to be in the city. That's what I meant by the 'subsidizing'.

So ALL good. You're in london, so you're paying a tiny bit more than you might. But you're really not taking a penny away from the two orgs. I'm trying to find a very similar org in the UK and Europe. I may just send it to DrakeMusic in the UK, because I have a bit of a relation to them. When I do find a suitable group, I'll post about it, even if it is after the kickstarter is done, so everyone will know. But folks can also send them any money after the fact.

Thanks for your support... of everything :)
CHeers,

Jason
j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n »

Leverkusen wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:35 am What I understood is that your postal costs will be subsidised by other people who pay more than the shipping to their destination would cost. So in the end all money is going to charity and we all share the shipping costs with each other to make it easier to clabulate for Jason.

Of course I could be wrong and there is no reason not to donate some more to people in need.
Ya, sort of like that, but only inside a location (europe/uk/etc.). But don't forget, Kickstarter takes 10% of the shipping fees too. Crazy shipping times.
j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n »

Reality Checkpoint wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:26 am
w.hosp wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:22 am Kickstarter allows you to pledge an additional amount to the project, and if you've already made a pledge, you can edit it. That seems to me to be the simplest way.
Thank you for pointing that out - I had already done that but forgot to mention it. I did think at the time that maybe that could be used for the charities, but I wasn’t sure.
Thanks for doing that. Yes, everything that is left will go to charities, but 100% of any additional pledge will go directly to the charities, after Kickstart takes its 10%.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”