Animal Factory Amplification

New Hosted Sub-Forum. Check it out here:
Not exactly a new manufacturer but new to us. Check out their pedal and eurorack product and extend them a welcome all the way to Mumbai!

Interested in a reprint of Allen Strange's Electronic Music?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, Kent, Joe., luketeaford

Allen Strange's Electronic Music... do you want a copy?

Print copy for under $100 USD plus shipping
22%
Print copy for under $50 USD plus shipping
57%
E-copy at a reasonable price
21%

Total votes: 950

Samuron
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Interested in a reprint of Allen Strange's Electronic Music?

Post by Samuron »

diophantine wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:58 pm Please, please, please don't do password protected PDFs. Not only is there the annoyance factor, but more importantly it doesn't work right in all PDF readers.

If you think that it will prevent the file from getting out in the open, simply put: it won't.
And more to the point, I would argue that pretty much he entire community of people who would want one are the people who have supported this project from the beginning, happily funded it in one day, and will likely make it reasonably profitable.

If people didn't want to see clean, legitimate copies available for purchase, none of this would have happened; we certainly wouldn't be buying all three copies and the refrigerator magnets.
A modular synthesizer is not a musical instrument; it is a spiritual ham radio.

Eurorack is the sprinkles on the 5U donut.

My Current Modular

Days since I ordered a Club Of The Knobs C964
eljay
Common Wiggler

Post by eljay »

If there are people concerned about having a password protected PDF version of the book, perhaps they should only buy a printed version. Jason has spent 4 years bringing this project to fruition, he has stated his intention to have some form of protection for the pdf version and his wishes should be respected.
SavageMessiah
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SavageMessiah »

If you have the password to a PDF it's trivial to produce an unprotected copy (https://www.howtogeek.com/299457/how-to ... a-pdf-file). Anyone who wants to share it can simply do so, the password does literally nothing. Stores like DriveThruRPG (which sell only PDFs and POD books) don't bother with this because it doesn't work. Watermarking with the buyers name is also not going to do anything but it's at least not trivial to circumvent. The aforementioned DriveThruRPG does this. But again, if someone wants to share they'll simply back with something other than their real name and share. If you look at RPG book piracy sites like the Trove it is full of books that are watermarked with the buyer's name. Watermark if it makes you feel better but understand that there is literally nothing you can do to prevent people pirating the PDF. Just accept that.
Samuron
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Samuron »

eljay wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:21 pm If there are people concerned about having a password protected PDF version of the book, perhaps they should only buy a printed version. Jason has spent 4 years bringing this project to fruition, he has stated his intention to have some form of protection for the pdf version and his wishes should be respected.
I will buy all three, as I planned to do for four years, and as long as I can open it on non-adobe readers, I'll deal with it.

But, I think it's nonsense. I have first and second edition copies already; my sole interest is in promoting the project, and I think that goes for a lot of those here.

We already respect the material; if we didn't there would be hi-res scans floating around everywhere. As such, the implication that pdf protection is necessary just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

My Current Modular

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes »

Samuron wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:37 pm We already respect the material; if we didn't there would be hi-res scans floating around everywhere. As such, the implication that pdf protection is necessary just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
I feel like people should be a little gentle with Jason. He's not an expert in this stuff, he's sounding us out with ideas. Tell him he's wrong when he is, share expertise, but treat him like a follow nerd who has worked hard on this for years for the love of it. God damn it babies, you've got to be kind.
SavageMessiah
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SavageMessiah »

Also the thing about ineffective DRM is that the only people it inconveniences are the ones who have actually given you money. Something to consider. In any case 99% of my usage will be with the physical book so I'm not too bothered either way. But security theater is a waste of time and helps no one.
Kattefjaes wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:50 pm I feel like people should be a little gentle with Jason. He's not an expert in this stuff, he's sounding us out with ideas. Tell him he's wrong when he is, share expertise, but treat him like a follow nerd who has worked hard on this for years for the love of it. God damn it babies, you've got to be kind.
Yeah, I'm just trying to convey the facts of this sort of thing as far as I have seen them. Whatever decision he makes based on that info is up to him.
j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n »

Thanks for your words of support, AND thanks for the words of disagreement. I know my way around privacy issues and technological limitations and affordances. Hell, there's a word in the OED called Sousveillance, and I co-wrote the paper that made it popular. I understand a half dozen ways to get around the DRM. But these are technical and philosophical issues. It is NOT my book. I just got permission to publish it, under these conditions. I may be able to change the permission to work out alternative solutions, and I may not. We shall see. And don't forget. I'm not getting the money. I've put in the work getting this together pro-bono. Well, I am getting a free copy of each, and all the stickers and fridge magnets I can eat, but all the money is going to pay for printing, logistics, royalties, with whatever's left going to charities. I think that people who disagree with how things are at the moment should say their bit, ask questions, give opinions, and then decide if they want to support the project at this stage or not.
Autistic. I like making noises at my workplace. I usually end up breaking something.
Check out Allen Strange Kickstarter.
j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n »

SavageMessiah wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:32 pm If you have the password to a PDF it's trivial to produce an unprotected copy (https://www.howtogeek.com/299457/how-to ... a-pdf-file). Anyone who wants to share it can simply do so, the password does literally nothing. Stores like DriveThruRPG (which sell only PDFs and POD books) don't bother with this because it doesn't work. Watermarking with the buyers name is also not going to do anything but it's at least not trivial to circumvent. The aforementioned DriveThruRPG does this. But again, if someone wants to share they'll simply back with something other than their real name and share. If you look at RPG book piracy sites like the Trove it is full of books that are watermarked with the buyer's name. Watermark if it makes you feel better but understand that there is literally nothing you can do to prevent people pirating the PDF. Just accept that.
Totally agree.
Autistic. I like making noises at my workplace. I usually end up breaking something.
SavageMessiah
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SavageMessiah »

Ultimately if the copyright holders have certain demands about digital distribution then you have to comply. I think that regardless of minor annoyance everyone here supports you either way :).
Samuron
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Samuron »

Kattefjaes wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:50 pm I feel like people should be a little gentle with Jason. He's not an expert in this stuff, he's sounding us out with ideas. Tell him he's wrong when he is, share expertise, but treat him like a follow nerd who has worked hard on this for years for the love of it. God damn it babies, you've got to be kind.
Fair enough; my apologies to Jason, and everyone else.

My Current Modular

kedowe
Common Wiggler

Post by kedowe »

Thanks Jason for seeing this thru! Backed it and looking forward to my copy :)
j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n »

Samuron wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:30 pm
Fair enough; my apologies to Jason, and everyone else.
Thanks. No apology necessary. Though thanks for it. Yours was an honest and heartfelt position. I'm actively working on solutions.
luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford »

I'm in! Thanks for all the hard work on this-- looking forward to going thru the original text!
diophantine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by diophantine »

Just to be clear, I'm as excited about this as anyone; I think I was one of the first 10 backers, and ordered all 3 versions.

It was not previously clear where the reasoning for password protected PDFs was coming from, so it is good to know that it is something contractual. And it is good to know that Jason understands the limitations of it and I'm still hoping it can be changed.

To me the primary benefit of having a PDF is the search capabilities, so having the most unfettered access to the pdf is preferred.
j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n »

diophantine wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:58 pm Just to be clear, I'm as excited about this as anyone; I think I was one of the first 10 backers, and ordered all 3 versions.

It was not previously clear where the reasoning for password protected PDFs was coming from, so it is good to know that it is something contractual. And it is good to know that Jason understands the limitations of it and I'm still hoping it can be changed.

To me the primary benefit of having a PDF is the search capabilities, so having the most unfettered access to the pdf is preferred.
Thanks. We're on the same page.
stringtapper
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stringtapper »

Never got the notification, but I got my pledge for all three versions in today. Very excited!
MarilynMonroe
Common Wiggler

Post by MarilynMonroe »

Please protect the pdf as hard as you can! Otherwise you’ll find copies immediately all over the internet. It happens if there is only one fart… and there is one, for sure.
--
in Love
MarilynMonroe
KipKubin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by KipKubin »

No idea this was happening. Just pledged for all three.

Thank you to all who are giving time and funds to make this happen.
corkyburger
Wiggling with Experience

Post by corkyburger »

Pledged for a copy for me and one as a gift for a friend! What a great project, well done.

I own a fourth print edition of the 1970’s original too.
Mr. Aloud
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Mr. Aloud »

Can you change the password of an .pdf once you opened it? Or are we stuck to something like "§45tvWthsdrt§E$R%rtGQ§$hr%jZqv3r5shQ"sr§t$j%ZC"Q§ %HSR Z/JW$" ?
It would seem that still, after all these years, perception is essentially thought to be a passive process.
RonDMC
Common Wiggler

Post by RonDMC »

Jason said the password would be your email address from which you pledged the book...
j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n »

stringtapper wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:53 pm Never got the notification, but I got my pledge for all three versions in today. Very excited!
Sorry about that. We tried and pretty much failed on that one. My assistant at work finally solved the problem for me, but some folks slipped through the cracks. Happy you found it!
Orange
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Orange »

I received my creditcard in the post this morning. Backed 8-) .
j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n »

Orange wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:05 am I received my creditcard in the post this morning. Backed 8-) .
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war!" :cloud:
ProggyBoog
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ProggyBoog »

Eric the Red wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:13 am I’ll be pledging on Friday once payday hits ❤️❤️
Just so you know, Kickstarter does not charge you when you pledge. It charges when the campaign successfully ends. Which, in this case, is August 5th at 7:34 am Pacific Time.

So, if you're budgeting for this, expect the charge to occur at that time. You can pledge at any point before that, and you won't be out any money.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”