Do you think Analogue Haven care about their customers?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Do you think Analogue Haven care about their customers?

Post by KSS »

Spectra wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:34 pm I decided to contradict myself and do some shopping at Analogue Haven. Mostly to experience the tremendous packing job that people rave about. :razz:

Sadly, this boutique business is closed from December 23 to January 17. So I had to order from Perfect Circuit again. :hmm:
I see your snark is alive and well here too. Are you Uli? <--seriously asking.

There's no need for :hmm:
Many audio 'boutique' makers and distributors take similar breaks -and for obvous reasons- this time of year.

They will use this time 'off' to prepare for Winter NAMM and -in this extended pandemic year especially- to anticipate the effect of China's Yearly new years shutdown. And also to recover from the usual push of late Fall-Early Winter orders just completed.
Treat utility modules as stars instead of backup singers.
Treat power supplies like Rockstars instead of roadies!
Chase magic sound, not magic parts.
Spectra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Spectra »

Not really. AH is the only modular seller that has closed their business for three weeks. This is not a normal business. It's a boutique/lifestyle store. Good for him. But it makes me not care about shopping elsewhere.

And no, I'm not Uli Behringer. Very strange accusation. However, I do have some Behringer gear that has served me well for many years. It was so cheap that I had plenty of money left over to purchase over priced modular gear.
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

Spectra wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:17 am Not really. AH is the only modular seller that has closed their business for three weeks. This is not a normal business. It's a boutique/lifestyle store. Good for him. But it makes me not care about shopping elsewhere.

And no, I'm not Uli Behringer. Very strange accusation. However, I do have some Behringer gear that has served me well for many years. It was so cheap that I had plenty of money left over to purchase over priced modular gear.
Then go shop somewhere else then. Who cares where you shop?
Spectra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Spectra »

I already did. Your comment was rude and unnecessary.
snakejaw
Wiggling with Experience

Post by snakejaw »

I have had nothing but great experiences with Analogue Haven. They've been very responsive when I've contacted them. The packing tends to be over the top in quality. A little frustrating as I frantically tear away trying to get to my new purchase! ;)
chaosium
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chaosium »

Spectra wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:17 amThis is not a normal business. It's a boutique/lifestyle store.
Respectfully, that's your "normal". It's not a direct attack on your "lifestyle" if a small business owner can have the ability to spend time with their family.

You were able to immediately find someone else to shop from, I don't get the entitlement and residual anger that someone restricted their orders so that they could live life without business.
Your comment was rude and unnecessary.
You received a "who cares", which was not rude and exactly as "unnecessary" as misplaced anger because someone isn't desperate for every single dollar at every single day of the year. IDGI.
snakejaw wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:00 pm I have had nothing but great experiences with Analogue Haven. They've been very responsive when I've contacted them. The packing tends to be over the top in quality. A little frustrating as I frantically tear away trying to get to my new purchase! ;)
Yeah, it's not a large scale operation like Perfect Circuit, but I've received pretty decent response times compared to other large scale operations beyond like... Sweetwater.
Last edited by chaosium on Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saturn777
Learning to Wiggle

Post by saturn777 »

Shawn is cool AF, any time i go into the store he will even put the module in the rack and test it for me before i buy it. Cause you never know with some of these shady module makers with poor quality control...
Spectra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Spectra »

There was no "entitlement" there. It's a very reasonable assumption that an online RETAIL business would not close shop for three weeks. So I shopped elsewhere. It's your buddy Shawn's loss. Not mine. :tu:
chaosium
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chaosium »

Spectra wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:34 pm There was no "entitlement" there. It's a very reasonable assumption that an online RETAIL business would not close shop for three weeks. So I shopped elsewhere. It's your buddy Shawn's loss. Not mine. :tu:
Hey, it's fine to be surprised when businesses close for the holidays in this 60/24/7/365 ultra-connected times. People just need to take better care of themselves ;)
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

saturn777 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:22 pm Shawn is cool AF, any time i go into the store he will even put the module in the rack and test it for me before i buy it. Cause you never know with some of these shady module makers with poor quality control...
Yep he has tested every module he has shipped to me and found one with a problem actually.
sket
Common Wiggler

Post by sket »

thonk, for example, is not shipping any orders until January 6. AH is not the only one!
Pagoda-100
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Pagoda-100 »

As a small business owner I respect Shawn's schedule. The current norm of ship it free, ship it now, and process my full refund ASAP is a real drag. I do my best to shut down when I can so my folks can rest and do whatever they do on personal time. Most manufacturing still takes advantage of this time for shutdowns and I have always enjoyed the down time.

As for AH and Shawn's service? Top notch! Packs like a pro, Calibrates modules pre-shipment, proactive communicator, and let's not forget the fact he inventories some super cool stuff. I enjoy spending money at a shop like this!. If you can't wait Amazon has a good bit of euro stuff these days... Wow, I just realised you will be able to buy Buchla (TipTop) with Prime free shipping soon.

HNY guys!
guitargyro
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guitargyro »

I KNOW Shawn cares about his customers first hand. Years of excellent service to prove it. That doesn’t mean he needs to work overtime during the holidays if he doesn’t want to OR have to.

Perhaps his ability to take off a couple weeks is the true testament to his longevity and being a pioneer in the business? Good for him! Besides, he even takes his website offline to make it obvious no orders are going to be filled until he is back. What is the big misunderstanding? Seems pretty clear to me…

If you absolutely can’t wait two weeks to order a module you probably aren’t going to master anyway before you’re researching your next GAS fix, buy it from Perfect Circuit.
Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr »

I haven’t read through this thread but I know that Shawn was wanting to build a new website and maybe that’s what’s happening now.

Also this is a business run by one person. Maybe there was an emergency or he needed to do something else and he didn’t have anyone he trusted to run things. Shawn’s pretty dedicated to his business. I doubt he just decided to close everything for an extended vacation.
Paul Di'Anno > Bruce Dickinson.
onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon »

I would be happy to support a store that closes for 3 weeks for vacation. More stores should do that. Not being able to shop with someone so that their quality of life is hopefully improved is closer to the world I wish to live in.
I slapped butter all over keys, knobs, cords, smeared screens with Coleslaw, pelted with Reese's Pieces, broke a Twix in half, stuck in... and after... I swung them all over above my head, pirouetted on their corners on top of a shaky rattan diner table spun like tops, but made sure nothing dropped. Toasted coconut n tested for salmonella were found in surprising places weeks after. I had so much fun.
Spectra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Spectra »

I proudly support stores that are ready to do business when I'm ready to buy. I still might try Analogue Haven someday just to experience the top notch pack job that people rave about. :guinness:
scottmoon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by scottmoon »

Yes
"If you think this world is bad, you should see some of the others" - PKD

My band's noise https://soundcloud.com/lunarasylum
ZenPunkHippy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ZenPunkHippy »

Nothing but good service from Shawn @ Analog Heaven, from an overseas customer. Fast efficient, friendly etc. Five stars. Would use again.
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

Spectra wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:34 pm There was no "entitlement" there. It's a very reasonable assumption that an online RETAIL business would not close shop for three weeks. So I shopped elsewhere. It's your buddy Shawn's loss. Not mine. :tu:
as far as i know, shawn is pretty much a one person shop at the moment. I think that most of the others are larger, and if the owner takes a much needed vacation, or needs to prepare for whatever, they can get by.

I think that under the circumstances, he probably knows that people who need gear asap would go elsewhere.

So, i guess i don't quite understand the attitude.
Spectra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Spectra »

And I don't understand Shawn apologists.
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

Spectra wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:39 pm And I don't understand Shawn apologists.
that's what i mean about "attitude".

What am I and others apologizing for? just fyi - i'm dealing with a number of 1 person shops at the moment (not synths) and pretty much as a rule, I don't hear back nearly as quickly as larger operations, and in some cases there are very long waits before things are built/shipped. I don't view that as an indication that I'm not getting good customer service. Not at all.
Spectra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Spectra »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:46 pm
Spectra wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:39 pm And I don't understand Shawn apologists.
What am I and others apologizing for?
The way Analogue Haven runs their business is what the apologizing was about. Like your feelings are hurt because I said something negative against a favorite shop of veteran wigglers. So naturally people become defensive. It's called tribalism. You are clearly on team Shawn. :yay:
onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon »

I never ordered from them an likely never will but it does sound rather entitled to me that someone would begrudge a small business for taking a three week holiday.
I slapped butter all over keys, knobs, cords, smeared screens with Coleslaw, pelted with Reese's Pieces, broke a Twix in half, stuck in... and after... I swung them all over above my head, pirouetted on their corners on top of a shaky rattan diner table spun like tops, but made sure nothing dropped. Toasted coconut n tested for salmonella were found in surprising places weeks after. I had so much fun.
Spectra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Spectra »

In retrospect, I'm glad I'm not a previous customer that actually needed some service during the three week vacation. This is the only bright spot in an otherwise dreary situation. Every cloud has a silver lining!
luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford »

From the website: "we stand behind the products we sell and will take care of any issues once we return."

I may have mentioned it before but I've only had great experiences shopping with Shawn and I will again when he re-opens and I need something, I'm sure.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”