Self generating patches....tips and ideas ?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Self generating patches....tips and ideas ?

Post by mrbloor » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:09 am

dooj88 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:27 pm
anyway, onto the tapeworms-in-an-alien-belly type sounds!
I think you've managed to successfully recreate the whole digestive system, great sounds here.

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:44 pm

I've started over. Paring down to a patch with a balance of chaos and intention. I like to improvise soundscapes in real time on a system which has about as many separate sound sources as I can handle. This mostly euro system started as a place to experiment with chaos and rhythm but I'm starting to realize it can complement my soundscapes by providing a variety of backgrounds or whatever you want to call them. Like scenes in a play I guess.

This recording runs about 16 minutes, enough to hear it cycle a few times. Mainly, it's TwinPeak Resonator and Filter complicated by delay effects. I've included a drum (DRM1) beating out master clock divided by 16 just to illustrate timing. Euclidean drum beats would fit right in. NLC chaos modules (Hypster, Sloths, etc.) are modulating things. Utilities vary some clock divisions and gate some S&H. A BugBrand CTL-1 modulates the Hypster. No editing except to fade out the end. This system is three rows, totaling 330 hp though one row is partially frac format.

Only half of the modules are used in this recording. It's making a flock of resonant pings and some airy tension. The trick will be to figure out an arrangement of modules and patches that can readily turn out a few scenes. I'm pleased with the periodic ebb and flow of density. Chaos is keeping the details fresh but I have some ability to tune the big picture.

AmbientBeatChaos-1 (15:56)
According to Digiconomist, Bitcoin and Ethereum together consume about as much electric energy annually as Indonesia. :eek:

Midiot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Midiot » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:31 pm

II just received an NLC Sloths.... and while it took some timE (seems like an good module.....}
"We'll be living in all the oceans now."
(type of music I make.... drone atmospheres, deep late-night beats.)

Midiot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Midiot » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:33 pm

BTW... I don't have avian the slavian accent.....haha.... no such thing.... many funny.
"We'll be living in all the oceans now."
(type of music I make.... drone atmospheres, deep late-night beats.)

oberdada
Wiggling with Experience

Post by oberdada » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:43 am

Tomorrow, Tuesday, they will play some of my new algorithmic pieces on the radio. Although these pieces are generated by c++ programs, all the way from sound synthesis to large scale form, I thought they may have some relevance in this thread since I have picked up some ideas directly or indirectly from modular self-generating patches. In any case, the pieces have been post-processed with my modular, including filtering, spring reverb, distortion, frequency shifting and ring modulation.

PhineasFreak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by PhineasFreak » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:55 am

well, as ever, i started with the best of intentions - haveing been enjoying my new elby system for a month or so i was gonna use what i'd learned about patch programming and feedback etc in my big generative euro...

what actcually happened was...
i started with the bare minium things to make: sequence -> quantiser -> voice -> output fx/processing chain;

but ofc like all patches and even modular systems, it grew - it ate over half my patch cables, most of 24U of modules in my generative rig and also about a week of my time! but, i now have a new album of live recordings from the rig havaing no input except a little nudge to the LFO driving the entire sequencing block to knock it out of stability temporarily when i wanted a big change quickly:

If anybody finds any of this interesting i can probably trace back the basic patch underneath it all, tho there's been ALOT of what i suspect is somewhat spurious extra feedbacks, hystereses and matrices...

Exiannyc
Common Wiggler

Post by Exiannyc » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:51 pm

@PhineasFreak that's lovely stuff!

w.hosp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by w.hosp » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:49 pm

The new Doepfer light-controlled voltage source https://doepfer.de/A1792.htm should come in handy for some of the ideas in this thread.

PhineasFreak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by PhineasFreak » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:13 pm

i should never have dived into serge - between patch programming getting a stronger and stronger hold on me and writing the ryo website synth school section for those who want to learn the true depths of patching and modding synths, i have developed a desire to build an entire generative patch from nand gates. i'll need a few hundred or thousand so please start buying my sales to fund my transistor shopping needs!

on another less mercenary note, i have been also trying to do generative without using every single module in my rig - with the euro i have patches down to just a quantiser, VCS, utilities and an audio chain - all of this triggered by the fact i have only one panel of serge so have been learning to squeeze every single drop out of it and deeply going into feedback looopsetc - just utilities like mixers//polarisers/attenuators/offsets go a loooooong way when you have a vcs or a clock source...

Exiannyc
Common Wiggler

Post by Exiannyc » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:33 pm

Self generative patch with a lot of recursive modulation. No sequencer.

Tip: The Olivella Modular Signos is a lovely module for setting up and then varying a generative patch. Two input signals and two modulators, two attenuverters and two offset knobs, create ten related outputs (CV or audio) that you can send all over your patch. Turning any knob just a little bit can make lovely variations, particularly if you've got feedback loops running through the module.

In this patch I'm trying to figure out what to do with a sample and hold. I just got one. I like it - the sense that in all the flux, something is holding (kind of) steady, for a brief interval of time. It's a nice contrast to the swooping and swerving that function generators often do.

PhineasFreak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by PhineasFreak » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:33 am

PhineasFreak wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:13 pm
on another less mercenary note, i have been also trying to do generative without using every single module in my rig - with the euro i have patches down to just a quantiser, VCS, utilities and an audio chain - all of this triggered by the fact i have only one panel of serge so have been learning to squeeze every single drop out of it and deeply going into feedback looopsetc - just utilities like mixers//polarisers/attenuators/offsets go a loooooong way when you have a vcs or a clock source...
as a result of these experiments here's a slightly 'performed' so semi-generative piece using that setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt6H_wBoDDI

the percussives that are very metallic and klangorous are BIA generatively sequenced with a feedback loop from the harmonaig quantiser 7th output driving the clock 1v/oct to give a subtle back n forth shift in overall sped that kinda humanises the beat when overlaid with the beats i'm playing from the erica sampledrums. those sampler loops are stuff i made in ableton and dam muting/unmuting as three diffferent layers on a different more regular clock. the synth sounds are also generatively sequenced and driven by harmonaig in a buncha feedback loops - just a basic a-111-3 saw wave with some fm and pwm iirc. the rest is just coloured by an output chain using a serge res eq and typhoon for verb.

enjoy. : )

PhineasFreak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by PhineasFreak » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:31 am

same patch as above but came out happier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSxc1E8DhAM

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”