Is there a tuner module that...

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

TJontheRoad
Common Wiggler

Is there a tuner module that...

Post by TJontheRoad » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:27 pm

...outputs a rock solid 1V/oct at a set desired pitch and then compares it back from an oscillator/voice source into an input with a strobe tuner? Only thing close I find is the NE Soleo Vero. But, that doesn't send out a reference 1V/oct note and it is pretty expensive ($263!!!) for a tuner. The reference note might not be needed but is convenient.

Right now, I'm using my Mordax Data for tuning duties. I'd rather have that hooked up for other things and the tuner on it is IMO is the weakest function. Any ideas?

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Is there a tuner module that...

Post by Kattefjaes » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:31 pm

It's a slightly sideways approach, but have you looked at the tuner/calibration functions of the Expert Sleepers FH-2?

TJontheRoad
Common Wiggler

Post by TJontheRoad » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:38 pm

Kattefjaes wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:31 pm
It's a slightly sideways approach, but have you looked at the tuner/calibration functions of the Expert Sleepers FH-2?
Thanks for your reply. FH-2 would duplicate too many functions I already have elsewhere. I'd much prefer a dedicated tuner than some multi-functional module.

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:25 pm

duplication or 'redundancy' is not necessarily a bad thing..
Modular Audio and Video Synthesis on Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

choose the case to fit the modules - not the modules to fit the case!!!

TJontheRoad
Common Wiggler

Post by TJontheRoad » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:44 pm

Agawell wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:25 pm
duplication or 'redundancy' is not necessarily a bad thing..
I agree. But then I'll end up patching all the stuff except the tuner ;)

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:53 pm

There are several modules that are designed to provide a precise voltage output, why not just use one of those for the voltage source and then use any tuner you want for the tuning function?

TJontheRoad
Common Wiggler

Post by TJontheRoad » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:46 pm

Dave Peck wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:53 pm
There are several modules that are designed to provide a precise voltage output, why not just use one of those for the voltage source and then use any tuner you want for the tuning function?
Well essentially, that's what I'm already doing with my keyboard (Matriarch or Keystep) or sequencer and Data. Having a dedicated, do both functions, tuner module will focus that task to one purpose. This, rather than me having to repatch the keyboard and Data each time I want to check the tuning.

Sleepfc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sleepfc » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:49 pm

Bastl 1983

TJontheRoad
Common Wiggler

Post by TJontheRoad » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:00 pm

Sleepfc wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:49 pm
Bastl 1983
Thanks.
This looks interesting. Sort of a CalTrans on steroids maybe. Not cheap but nothing is :-/

Del
Common Wiggler

Post by Del » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:28 pm

Have you considered Ears by Human Perception?

Sorry, that’s awfully facetious. I just can’t imagine wasting rack space / money on that particular convenience. I guess there are good reasons to use a tuner.

To add something more helpful... I’m pretty sure Ornament & Crime has tuning functionality, as well. You might already have that.

TJontheRoad
Common Wiggler

Post by TJontheRoad » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:44 pm

Del wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:28 pm

Sorry, that’s awfully facetious. I just can’t imagine wasting rack space / money on that particular convenience. I guess there are good reasons to use a tuner.

To add something more helpful... I’m pretty sure Ornament & Crime has tuning functionality, as well. You might already have that.
Ears by Human Perception? I've been told that's an awesome album by a great band ;) Sort of new wave industrial right? :hihi:

Sure, I can tune by ear. After 40 years of playing guitar, you learn a thing or two. But sometimes you want to tune silently. Like checking the tuning in the middle of a jam while other sound sources are being used. Or I just want speed up the process. It is all about improving workflow so I can get more music recorded. First world issue I know.

Del
Common Wiggler

Post by Del » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:07 pm

TJontheRoad wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:44 pm
Del wrote:

Ears by Human Perception? I've been told that's an awesome album by a great band ;) Sort of new wave industrial right? :hihi:

Sure, I can tune by ear. After 40 years of playing guitar, you learn a thing or two. But sometimes you want to tune silently. Like checking the tuning in the middle of a jam while other sound sources are being used. Or I just want speed up the process. It is all about improving workflow so I can get more music recorded. First world issue I know.
No, I get it. I know guys in bands who have good ears who still use tuning pedals on stage. Whether because you can’t hear much in that situation or because it’s maybe a bit lame to audibly tune up on stage.

antonriehl
Common Wiggler

Post by antonriehl » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:16 pm

The Tubbutec µTune is a quantizer that would perform this task well. There are options for calibration across 10 volts, and some auto tuning capabilities. With an expander, you can see the tuning for up to 4 oscillators at once, and then all of it's great microtonal quantizing features as well. ;)

TJontheRoad
Common Wiggler

Post by TJontheRoad » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:47 pm

Del wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:07 pm
TJontheRoad wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:44 pm
Del wrote:

No, I get it. I know guys in bands who have good ears who still use tuning pedals on stage. Whether because you can’t hear much in that situation or because it’s maybe a bit lame to audibly tune up on stage.
Here's what prompted this thread.

While setting up my last recording session, I had gotten 3 voices nicely in tune. I was using a Rossum Trident, PM Double Helix, and SE Tonestar 2600. I then set up some fairly complex patches with each of them. Everything sounded great.

I took a quick lunch break and left the rack on. Came back 30 minutes later and it was all out of wack again. Don't know why. I didn't touch a thing. It was frustrating starting over. Having a dedicated tuner instead of using Data would have saved me time and helped keep my mind focused on the music. I have more spare HP than I have time :)

TJontheRoad
Common Wiggler

Post by TJontheRoad » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:47 pm

antonriehl wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:16 pm
The Tubbutec µTune is a quantizer that would perform this task well. There are options for calibration across 10 volts, and some auto tuning capabilities. With an expander, you can see the tuning for up to 4 oscillators at once, and then all of it's great microtonal quantizing features as well. ;)
Thanks. I'll take a look at that.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:18 pm

Here's a simple circuit that works well for on-stage silent tuning to a reference.
https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Wirele ... 976-11.pdf
http://yusynth.net/archives/WirelessWor ... q-1976.pdf

Inspired by Rivera's RMS minimoog mods which describe a similar mod using a single LED, I've used circuits like this on a few different classic synth upgrade-mods.
Attachments
C-Clapp-BeatFreq-1976-001.jpg
Treat utility modules as stars instead of backup singers.
Treat power supplies like Rockstars instead of roadies!
Chase magic sound, not magic parts.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”