Voting open for your top 3 tracks in our Odd Meter Remix/ReMangle/Reimagine Challenge

Prizes generously donated by:
ADDAC System (Eurorack 3U)
Endorphin.es (Eurorack 3U)
Fred's Lab (DIY Paraphonic Synth)
Northern Light Modular (Buchla-format h-series OR Eurorack3U)
Rattly and Raw (Wiggler Approved Kontakt Instrument)
Studio.h (Buchla-format 4U)

Get your vote on and free 42 minute modular playlist for your listening pleasure.

Oakley phaser

Discussion and support for users and builders of Oakley Sound musical products.

Moderators: Kent, Synthbuilder

OurDarkness
Wiggling with Experience

Oakley phaser

Post by OurDarkness » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:34 am

Hey guys,

I have been listening to the Roland PH-830 phaser and really liked the way it sounds. I was wondering if we might get to see a recreation from Oakley? Would you guys be interested?
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Oakley phaser

Post by Synthbuilder » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:01 pm

OurDarkness wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:34 am
I have been listening to the Roland PH-830 phaser and really liked the way it sounds. I was wondering if we might get to see a recreation from Oakley?
I've been wanting to do a rack phaser for years. The problem with trying to recreate the PH-830 is the behaviour of the Japanese 'vactrols' it uses as the voltage controlled elements. And they don't make them like they used to. I may knock up a 1:1 clone at some point, as I have a few NOS Vactrols hanging around, and then I'll try to get the more modern devices to replicate the sound properly.

That said I had a SPF-323, which is similar to one channel of the PH-830, and I wasn't that impressed. Indeed, I preferred the sound of the much cheaper and simpler RPH-10, but then I have always liked OTA based phasers.

I'm having a bit of a break from electronic design at the moment. Partly because of the current parts shortages, but also because I have a bunch of home improvement tasks to complete. Hopefully, I'll get on with some new design work later next year.

In the meantime you may want to check out the Doepfer A-101-3. That's supposed to sound a bit like the Roland opto phasers although I've not tried one myself.

Return to “Oakley Sound Systems”