[Solved] FH2 MIDI out to General CV MIDI in - can't get it working

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

rupa
Common Wiggler

[Solved] FH2 MIDI out to General CV MIDI in - can't get it working

Post by rupa » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:30 pm

I've been banging my head trying to connect the FH2 midi out to General CV midi in

* I've got out 4 on FH2 connected to in 4 on GCV
* I've got out 5 on FH2 connected to in 5 on GCV
* I've got forwarding set up properly on FH2: FH2 screen shows that I'm playing notes on Channel 1, D is registering output.
* I can connect up the same way to Disting EX and successfully play multisamples
* I have Forward MIDI and Output MIDI set to 1 on the GCV
* Both FH2 and GCV updated to latest firmware

What am I missing? The GCV is new and i haven't set up any presets or configs yet - first thing i did was try to get midi from FH2 working
Last edited by rupa on Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rupa
Common Wiggler

Re: FH2 MIDI out to General CV MIDI in - can't get it working

Post by rupa » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:59 pm

OK - the problem was the breakout pins on the General CV are "upside down" compared to what I expected.

On FH2 and Disting EX, the pins are 1-4 top-to-bottom - the manuals for each says "pin 1 is closest to the GT3/GT4 text"

The GCV manual does NOT say anything about which pin is 1, so like a dummy I assumed it would be the same orientation, and the same rule, so pin 1 would be nearest to the GT2 text, which is toward the top of the module, like the others

However, now that I know i had it "upside-down" I notice that pin 1 is in fact labeled on the PCB.

TL;DR @os you may want to put a note in General CV manual, that pin 1 is labeled, and is NOT, in this case, the closest to the GT2 text :)

Now to get cracking with this bonkers thing!

Return to “Expert Sleepers”