Best FM synth ?

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

gkillmaster
Common Wiggler

Best FM synth ?

Post by gkillmaster »

In your experience, what is the best FM synth for trying to coax out beautiful unusual sounds? I always liked FM8, but ready to try something new as well.

Thanks!
Last edited by gkillmaster on Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Re: Best FM synth ?

Post by Yes Powder »

I thought Sculpture used Physical Modeling.

Anyways; for FM, Dexed works for me. (inb4 some pedant says "ACKSHUALLY IT'S PHASE MODULATION!") It's basically an emulation of the the DX7 (can even load DX7 patches!) but is more friendly to program thanks to its graphical interface, and it's free.
Everyone wants to be analog until it's time to do some analog shit.
gkillmaster
Common Wiggler

Post by gkillmaster »

Yes Powder wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:07 am I thought Sculpture used Physical Modeling.

Anyways; for FM, Dexed works for me. (inb4 some pedant says "ACKSHUALLY IT'S PHASE MODULATION!") It's basically an emulation of the the DX7 (can even load DX7 patches!) but is more friendly to program thanks to its graphical interface, and it's free.
Thanks. Yes, you are right about Sculpture. For some reason I swapped it in my mind and meant to say FM8.
Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder »

gkillmaster wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:35 am Thanks. Yes, you are right about Sculpture. For some reason I swapped it in my mind and meant to say FM8.
If you're already using FM8, Dexed isn't going to get you anywhere you can't already go; it's sort of the gold-standard of FM software.

If you want something a bit weirder, maybe check out RYM2612 or ChipsynthMD. They're emulations of the FM soundchip used in the Sega Genesis, which is known for having a very rough (read: characterful!) DAC.
I think both plugins also emulate the fabled "Illegal Mode" of the chip for some real strangeness. Apparently its official name from Yamaha was "Composite Sinusoidal Modeling" and it was supposedly meant for speech synthesis, but Sega deemed it too difficult or impractical for use, and thus dubbed it "Illegal Mode" in their developer documentation. It's not FM-related, but there's definitely some experimental potentional there.
Everyone wants to be analog until it's time to do some analog shit.
gkillmaster
Common Wiggler

Post by gkillmaster »

Yes Powder wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:45 am
gkillmaster wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:35 am Thanks. Yes, you are right about Sculpture. For some reason I swapped it in my mind and meant to say FM8.
If you're already using FM8, Dexed isn't going to get you anywhere you can't already go; it's sort of the gold-standard of FM software.

If you want something a bit weirder, maybe check out RYM2612 or ChipsynthMD. They're emulations of the FM soundchip used in the Sega Genesis, which is known for having a very rough (read: characterful!) DAC.
I think both plugins also emulate the fabled "Illegal Mode" of the chip for some real strangeness. Apparently its official name from Yamaha was "Composite Sinusoidal Modeling" and it was supposedly meant for speech synthesis, but Sega deemed it too difficult or impractical for use, and thus dubbed it "Illegal Mode" in their developer documentation. It's not FM-related, but there's definitely some experimental potentional there.
Thanks a lot for this. Going to check them out!
jonne74
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jonne74 »

The ones I use are Operator (Ableton), DX7 V, Korg Opsix VST, Chipsynth Porta FM and MD. The Chipsynth OPS7 is on my list, as the nerdiest DX7 emulator ever. Out of all these I would probably keep the Opsix. It's just a versatile sound preview editor for the hardware.
jimfowler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jimfowler »

gkillmaster
Common Wiggler

Post by gkillmaster »

jimfowler wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:47 pm https://modo.sc/id700/
I forgot I had this one! Thanks for the reminder.
gkillmaster
Common Wiggler

Post by gkillmaster »

jonne74 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:34 pm The ones I use are Operator (Ableton), DX7 V, Korg Opsix VST, Chipsynth Porta FM and MD. The Chipsynth OPS7 is on my list, as the nerdiest DX7 emulator ever. Out of all these I would probably keep the Opsix. It's just a versatile sound preview editor for the hardware.
Thank you! I never heard of half of these and the Opsix does look amazing! Going to see if I can demo it.
dropthedyle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dropthedyle »

If you are an Ableton Live user, check the Fors FM synths, simple design and lot of FM (and PM) fun (https://fors.fm)
gkillmaster
Common Wiggler

Post by gkillmaster »

dropthedyle wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:22 am If you are an Ableton Live user, check the Fors FM synths, simple design and lot of FM (and PM) fun (https://fors.fm)
wow, thanks. Never heard of them. Ambidextrous Synthesizer from them looks intriguing.
dropthedyle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dropthedyle »

gkillmaster wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:55 am
dropthedyle wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:22 am If you are an Ableton Live user, check the Fors FM synths, simple design and lot of FM (and PM) fun (https://fors.fm)
wow, thanks. Never heard of them. Ambidextrous Synthesizer from them looks intriguing.
Fors is the business of Ess Mattisson, ex Elekron Guy behind the sound of the Digitone
Benoist
Common Wiggler

Post by Benoist »

My favorite is PhasePlant because you can combine Linear FM / Exponential FM / Phase modulation and also Ring Mod for good measure ( presets under tutorials folder ) and several detuning modes, very deep but once you have more than two operators its hard to have an overview due to the interface but very rewarding !!!

As a successor of FM8, I vote for Traktion F.'EM, it goes far beyond specs wise, you have to test the interface tho and the presets are extremely weak !

Also consider Vital Audio which is getting better and better !
Dragonaut
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut »

I really enjoy Bazille. Only 4 operators but the modular approach lets you get pretty creative.
gkillmaster
Common Wiggler

Post by gkillmaster »

Dragonaut wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:14 am I really enjoy Bazille. Only 4 operators but the modular approach lets you get pretty creative.
I was just taking a tutorial and it is amazing. I love it!
starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief »

Plogue OPS7 is absolutely great for DX7 stuff, and Chipsynth FM for simpler OPLL/OPL2 style sounds.

Madrona Aalto is a modern semi-modular West Coast synth very much inspired by the Easel, but with TZFM. You can also give the modulator linear offsets for more clangorous tones... fun stuff.

In Bitwig, the built-in FM4 is pretty good. I also like to set up two instances of Organ and have one modulate the pitch of the other, for exponential FM... or of course build FM (or PM) synth drones in the Grid.
Jd1979
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jd1979 »

Casio vz-10m and Yamaha TG77 or Yamaha TX802
jonne74
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jonne74 »

Jd1979 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:56 pm Casio vz-10m and Yamaha TG77 or Yamaha TX802
This is the software part of the forum :party:
Jd1979
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jd1979 »

jonne74 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:49 am
Jd1979 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:56 pm Casio vz-10m and Yamaha TG77 or Yamaha TX802
Oops, sorry about that, I saw the title in the recent links and clicked it. My bad
Grumble
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Grumble »

I have built some modules around the YMF262 4 operand, 6 voices FM chip from Yamaha.
Great sounds are possible.
:despair: sorry
naos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by naos »

A combination of Dexed, Volca FM and max for live controllers is a good DX7 ecosystem. Opfour (max for live TX81Z emulation) also looks like a masterpiece.
Operator has the best bass preset I've ever heard, but I generally don't like using Ableton instruments because of their UI.
kosh
Common Wiggler

Post by kosh »

Give Synclavier V a try. It's pretty unique and sounds wonderful.
jonne74
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jonne74 »

kosh wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:04 pm Give Synclavier V a try. It's pretty unique and sounds wonderful.
Oh yeah, that one too. It's the only Arturia plug-in where I couldn't wait for the next collection update.
wuff_miggler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler »

Thanks for dropping Fors... all of those instruments have a very recognisable sound in a lot of hyperpop.
not sure if its what's used - but - it sounds incredibly modern.
i love the Experimental collections interfaces.
wuff_miggler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler »

gkillmaster wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:58 am In your experience, what is the best FM synth for trying to coax out beautiful unusual sounds? I always liked FM8, but ready to try something new as well.

Thanks!
i should add a mention for FL studios Sytrus, 6OP FM...

Single cycle waveforms can be loaded into any of the slots, most parameters can be modulated with more single cycle waveforms as well as unlimited (multibreakpoint envelopes) also - each operator can have harmonics (up to 128 drawn in)

as usual - because FL is a kids DAW, its built in instruments must suck

Return to “Music Software”