Anyone else still uses old software despite years?

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Spectra
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Anyone else still uses old software despite years?

Post by Spectra »

And Emagic Sound Diver to program a few synths. I think it's from the late 90s.
jamos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamos »

I do; Adobe Audition 2.0 as my DAW, and Emu Emulator X as a my sampler.
Nord Modular G2 & G2X, Emulator X, MPC Live, and a growing Euro system.
Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff »

seychmar wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:40 pm I still use an Atari ST to run Softsynth, Turbosynth, Avalon, KCS Omega and Tunesmith. Plus Zero- X on a Falcon linked to my Kurzweil K2500RS via SCSI. Currently experimenting with running most of this software on a MiST FPGA. Most of it also runs on a PC running STEEM.
That’s cool to know avalon could run on a PC—is it worth the effort? I don’t have energy to try and run an actual Atari at this point.
jurich22
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jurich22 »

I still use a few 32-bit plugins, and it's pretty annoying how Ableton doesn't provide support. You have to use J-Bridge instead to wrap them. Some old plugins are still pretty useful. I know the TAL Dub Delay range is still great: https://www.whippedcreamsounds.com/free ... _Dub_Delay and it's only 32-bit on Windows. They're pretty old as well, I think the first one is 2001 region, but it still sounds really cool and I use it from time to time.

As for old apps I don't really use anything that isn't supported on iPhone anymore. I'm sure if I went back to some games I used to play as a kid I'd find something I'd want to play again that would be obsolete haha!
mercyofwolves
Common Wiggler

Post by mercyofwolves »

Spectra wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:12 pm I still have and use Wavelab 3. The copy protection expired so I don't have to load the disk twice a year now.
wavelab... blissfully forgotten.

real pleased with how energyXT and my old synthedit plugins run on win10, finally set up, just as i said, when they're ready to go to the next one.

did spend a year or so in mourning (well, poverty, old systems break and eventually cannot be replaced).

the old plugins definately don't work in hosts like tracktion's free thing, because if people could just do things for free in a free thing without having to pay more money, how could we screw them constantly and force them to comply and pretend that no one ever made decent free resources ever?

can't use anything new, but what's new except the headroom?
jsu
Common Wiggler

Post by jsu »

Korg Librarian editor. Last update 2015, but continues to work with backwards compatibility enabled on the OS.
Modulus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Modulus »

Still use Audiomulch as a scratch pad and for granular fx. Stands the test of time.
paradiddle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by paradiddle »

Yes still do use old software. Was thinking about bringing back my old ste 4 megs from the dead. I fired it a few years ago and was to see that the HD 40 mb still work. Anyway I have a st replay cartridge that I used with a software called digital impact and the samples sounded pretty good for back then. Anyway I use a lot of old freebies like HOG on windows to do offlines processes. Old funky stuff.
jensenluxvid
Common Wiggler

Post by jensenluxvid »

Still using Renoise 2.7.2, 10 years on. Been using Audiomulch since before version 1.
jsu
Common Wiggler

Post by jsu »

Why do you not update renoise?
MisterJ
Common Wiggler

Post by MisterJ »

I run an Atari Mega 4 with C-Lab Notator and Unitor expansion. No other sequencer I know of compares. My fairly recently acquired MPC5000 gets close to its timing and midi implementation but doesn't have nearly the editing capability not to mention the magic ability to display my sequences in standard notation in real time. Not bad for a late 80s computer. Notator is so important to me that I have another Mega that sits in reserve along with an extra dongle and Unitor for Notator in case anything fails.

I also have an early 2000s Sony Vaio that runs Akai.sys, Sound Forge and a few other apps that only work or work best in Xp.

I've never been a Mac person so I've been spared the upgrade pain that I see Mac users go through. For general computing, I'm a confirmed Linux user at this point but I still run Cakewalk on Windows 7 as a DAW on a Lenovo Thinkpad that doesn't get used for much else. It is the latest version of Cakewalk though.
Contact resistance is the root of all evil!
Norma
Common Wiggler

Post by Norma »

I still use some of the great Jack Dark FSU vsts among others. Not on a daily basis, but I got so many old 32bit gems from different (and long forgotten) indie devs, that I would be sad to see become obsolete. Im aware it will happen eventually on win like it did on Mac, but for now im just glad that I still got the possibility to dig into my old archive if I need to:-)
Ashley Pomeroy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ashley Pomeroy »

The oldest software I still use occasionally is Laurie Spiegel's *Music Mouse*, from 1986. There's a web version here:
https://teropa.info/musicmouse/

It really would benefit from being ported to iOS or similar. The second-oldest is Cool Edit Pro, from 1996, which surprisingly works just fine under Windows 10. It has a couple of interesting features including a brainwave synchonizer, which is something Logic doesn't have.
SkyWriter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SkyWriter »

Does this count?
74EFCD89-7373-42D4-B12E-E661A5119158.jpeg
lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
give a hoot, don't fucking pollute.
snakejaw
Wiggling with Experience

Post by snakejaw »

arcDev VSTs in Ableton 11 with J-Bridge.
Dave Kendall
Set The Controls . . .

Post by Dave Kendall »

James_S wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:05 am
< snip> This info will let you check which OS is compatible with your 2014 machine, and provides links to download OS versions older than the latest from the App Store (Apple sort of hides them).
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683 < snip >

Thanks for that - very useful.
I'm still using an early 2009 MacPro as my main machine, and should probably upgrade to the dizzying heights of 10.11 Catalina :)

I also still regularly use a 900 mHz (?) G4 from the early 2000s (the model just before the mirror doors one) as it has some useful stuff still on it.
Want to Buy: KURZWEIL KSP8
Want to Buy: old EFM PCBs

"Everything in moderation, including moderation"
Misk
Common Wiggler

Post by Misk »

jensenluxvid wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:52 am Still using Renoise 2.7.2, 10 years on. Been using Audiomulch since before version 1.
The best renoise tbh. I found myself drifting away from it as my main sequencer after the 3.0 update. too many weird key commands to navigate these new sample instrument chains as well.

Return to “Music Software”