Anyone else still uses old software despite years?

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

rec.Koner
Ultra Wiggler

Anyone else still uses old software despite years?

Post by rec.Koner »

Like me, with my ios7 and ios10 tablets (and so many apps you cant buy or even launch anymore on modern ipad). Well, that would be old software on old hardware :lol: of course, it's less radical with PC software e.g. i know Angelspit (australian industrial band who used modulars and semi-modulars much) were using 1999's Cakewalk version or something for decades :tu:

Bonus mention for weird VSTs from 2000s like Tobybear Monster Bag. :oops:
wow.. we're sky high.. that shark we just jumped over is tiny.. we're so high right now (c) found on gearslutz

my page
jsu
Common Wiggler

Re: Anyone else still uses old software despite years?

Post by jsu »

Old software for old hardware. I know a couple people with excellent firewire hardware and they are both on specific versions of Mac for compatibility. Other than that... everything works well.
PrimateSynthesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by PrimateSynthesis »

I've been using SoundHack for almost 20 years.

I also ran System 7 for eleven years, until I went from 7.6.1 to 10.2.
FS: Rare Morley Rotating Wah Oil Can Delay!

Since the forum has gone back to being 100% community funded, I've decided to donate half the proceeds from the Morley Rotating Wah this thread is supposedly selling :miley:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=131332
filtermod
Wiggling with Experience

Post by filtermod »

I still have an old OS9 Mac that I occasionally use for thonk, zvocoder, and turbosynth. I also keep my old copy of emagic soundiver on it for editing my K5000s.
Chopper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Chopper »

Korg VSTIs.
Delay Lama!
A few others ...
As much as I always update my trusty Cubase, I always come back to the version 5 64bits. That's when they got it right for me.
carynrich
Wiggling with Experience

Post by carynrich »

Still use techno toys seq-303. Such a great sequencer with one major flaw, it doesn’t chain sequences. Would be cool to type in the track numbers and let it run.
Delta T
Common Wiggler

Post by Delta T »

I still run RGC Audios Paragon, Triangle I+II and Square. I don’t use them often but they’re nice to dust off now and then. Also Z3ta+ 1.53, though its the Cakewalk version. I use v2 as well.
Spectra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Spectra »

I was running a 15 year old version of Cubase until just recently. Probably should have upgraded a lot sooner.
mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg »

I still run an Atari ST with Hybrid Arts SMPTE Track Gold. That was released in the 1980’s, so yeah, definitely old despite the years
naturligfunktion
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by naturligfunktion »

Its not that old, but I still use Ableton 9 :oops:
New murky music that will take you on a journey through a land of mystery and wonder:

Bandcamp
Robscorch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Robscorch »

Rebirth anyone... Reminds me I need to revisit Reason it's been a long time, but I created quite a few bangers with this software.

Kjaerhus Audio had some great plugs. Never made the past 32 bit, but the golden compressor was an absolute gem in it's day.
I've got some stuff for sale check it out here
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face." Mike Tyson
rec.Koner
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rec.Koner »

mritenburg wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:13 pm I still run an Atari ST with Hybrid Arts SMPTE Track Gold. That was released in the 1980’s, so yeah, definitely old despite the years
ha-ha, i waited for this :)

:tu:
wow.. we're sky high.. that shark we just jumped over is tiny.. we're so high right now (c) found on gearslutz

my page
ATW
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ATW »

Robscorch wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:48 am Rebirth anyone... Reminds me I need to revisit Reason it's been a long time, but I created quite a few bangers with this software.

Kjaerhus Audio had some great plugs. Never made the past 32 bit, but the golden compressor was an absolute gem in it's day.
Absolutely—loved this app. I used the first version stand-alone with some amen/jungle sample packs, limited but sounded great.

Sound Edit 16 was my favorite os9 sample editor, finally found a suitable os X+ replacement in Twisted Wave.
ᴍᴏᴅᴜʟᴀʀ ɢʀɪᴅ ⟡ 9U 168 + Palette + Pod ⟡ ᴍᴜsɪᴄ ATW on SoundCloud
James_S
Veteran Wiggler

Post by James_S »

I'm still using Maverick on my iMac 2014 (Running Logic Pro 9) and desperately in need of an upgrade.. Can't even upgrade the firmware on my Keystep Pro! Trying to sell gear to get me a Mac Mini next year...
studio1dk
Common Wiggler

Post by studio1dk »

I’m using cakewalk pro audio 8 as a midi sequencer - and have for many years. Works perfectly for me.
Robscorch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Robscorch »

ATW that brings me back man. I used sound edit 16 for a while before just giving up on apple products back in about 2000 for audio production. In fact the only apples in my house are edible aside from my apple classic 2e.
ATW
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ATW »

Robscorch wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:00 pm ATW that brings me back man. I used sound edit 16 for a while before just giving up on apple products back in about 2000 for audio production. In fact the only apples in my house are edible aside from my apple classic 2e.
Ha! Yeah, those were some wonky times to be all-in on Apple. I stuck around somehow and survived to tell the tale but it was probably because my school studies & internships were pretty Apple-centric at the time. Then things improved bit by bit, but not without getting a laptop with an upside down Apple logo on it.

What’s your sample editor of choice these days?
ᴍᴏᴅᴜʟᴀʀ ɢʀɪᴅ ⟡ 9U 168 + Palette + Pod ⟡ ᴍᴜsɪᴄ ATW on SoundCloud
nostalghia
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nostalghia »

James_S wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:05 am I'm still using Maverick on my iMac 2014 (Running Logic Pro 9) and desperately in need of an upgrade.. Can't even upgrade the firmware on my Keystep Pro! Trying to sell gear to get me a Mac Mini next year...
No need to buy a new Mac unless you just want one or are having issues with the iMac. You should be able to run a much more recent OS on it. This info will let you check which OS is compatible with your 2014 machine, and provides links to download OS versions older than the latest from the App Store (Apple sort of hides them).
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

I just updated to High Sierra on my 2014 iMac so I could use Arturia Pigments in my old version of Cubase 9.

Be sure to make a backup before updating (I use Time Machine).
Also, if you have old apps you still like that aren’t compatible with a newer OS, you can partition your hard drive (if you have enough unused space) or get an external drive, and install the new OS onto that, so you can reboot between your choice of two OS versions.

How to set that up: https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/dual- ... c-3659676/
Last edited by nostalghia on Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If you look for a meaning, you'll miss everything that happens.” - Andrei Tarkovsky
https://soundcloud.com/nostalghia70s
fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac »

Unfortunately, I haven't been making much music in the past year-and-a-half due to an excessive amount of work, but I still have my old 2005 DAW and 2003 laptop. I have to fire them up to see if they still boot. It's the only way I could use my old software because most of it can't run or even be installed in newer computers.

I'm currently using Presonus Studio One, but I really miss the simplicity of Cakewalk Pro Audio or even early versions of Sonar (2.2 was my favorite), before they DAWs became bloated with audio stuff and plugins.
unclebastard
Veteran Wiggler

Post by unclebastard »

I loved Delay Lama, the mda VSTs, destroyfx, smartelectronix, the Fish Fillets and many more which no longer work on a Mac 64 bit version of Tracktion. Some of those mda VSTs have never been replicated- does anyone do a free Shepard tone generator?
Good deals with: Eremitalf, ben_hex, matttech, Elevator Sound
James_S
Veteran Wiggler

Post by James_S »

nostalghia wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:41 pm
James_S wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:05 am I'm still using Maverick on my iMac 2014 (Running Logic Pro 9) and desperately in need of an upgrade.. Can't even upgrade the firmware on my Keystep Pro! Trying to sell gear to get me a Mac Mini next year...
No need to buy a new Mac unless you just want one or are having issues with the iMac. You should be able to run a much more recent OS on it. This info will let you check which OS is compatible with your 2014 machine, and provides links to download OS versions older than the latest from the App Store (Apple sort of hides them).
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

I just updated to High Sierra on my 2014 iMac so I could use Arturia Pigments in my old version of Cubase 9.

Be sure to make a backup before updating (I use Time Machine).
Also, if you have old apps you still like that aren’t compatible with a newer OS, you can partition your hard drive (if you have enough unused space) or get an external drive, and install the new OS onto that, so you can reboot between your choice of two OS versions.

How to set that up: https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/dual- ... c-3659676/
Thanks a lot man that's a great idea (the partition). I wouldn't mind a new Mac in any case as 8 years is ancient in technology terms but there's definitely apps and plugins that I would want to use from the current iOS but as I wait for my gear to sell your solution sounds perfect. Thanks!
Robscorch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Robscorch »

ATW I like Ableton and my Roland SP404sx. I used to have an Assimil8tor that got thrashed along with several modules and even a Boss 202 that I sorely miss too. I'm currently rebuilding my rack, but I hope to acquire an ALM squid sample in the near future or another Assimil8tor.

I've owned various MPCs as well as emu boxes. The 6400 ultra was a revelation. I'm actually looking at going outside the rack and getting a mpc live 2 used if I don't get another Assimil8tor eventually then getting the squid for in rack shenanigans.

I also have the Native instruments bundle Kontact is still in use also. I really can't stress enough the value of the NI bundle for software value overall.
seychmar
Common Wiggler

Post by seychmar »

I still use an Atari ST to run Softsynth, Turbosynth, Avalon, KCS Omega and Tunesmith. Plus Zero- X on a Falcon linked to my Kurzweil K2500RS via SCSI. Currently experimenting with running most of this software on a MiST FPGA. Most of it also runs on a PC running STEEM.
mmp
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mmp »

I occasionally run Dr. T’s software on the Steem emulator. I have a Motorola based MacMini that pairs with my Varios on an early OSX for the V-Producer software. A Powermac on OS9 to house and program my Korg OASYS-PCI card, plus the Yamaha VL editors.
Spectra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Spectra »

I still have and use Wavelab 3. The copy protection expired so I don't have to load the disk twice a year now.

Return to “Music Software”