Sugar Bytes Nest

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Heffernoise
Learning to Wiggle

Sugar Bytes Nest

Post by Heffernoise » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:09 am

Sugar Bytes Nest looks like an interesting modular approach to a midi sequencer for soft synths and hardware. There's a number of tutorials they just dropped on getting the most out of it. The quick routing of midi channels, hosting vsts in Nest, and patch snapshots could make for a cool performance tool.

Here's the basics:

imrae
Common Wiggler

Re: Sugar Bytes Nest

Post by imrae » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:21 am

This does look like an absolute blast, and captures a lot of the Lunetta-style generative tools in a well-thought out way. Unity mixers at every input is a subtle difference from hardware that could be very convenient. And it wouldn't hurt to learn how to build some esoteric modules from these parts, e.g. 8-bit cipher, rungler...

I'm a bit surprised they went with VST2 hosting; I thought that format was on the decline now that new developers are locked out.

Mitchk1989
*Probably* not a cyborg.

Post by Mitchk1989 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:00 pm

I agree that not hosting VST3 is weird.

Whether this is good value for money when you can do most of this stuff in modular environments like VCV rack, reaktor, the grid, etc already to a certain extent I dunno but it is fun as hell.

No intro sale so I'll wait and see what black friday brings - I like a lot of sugar byte's stuff (they aren't afraid to make tools that have specific points of view instead of everything trying to check every possible box feature wise) so I might bite the bullet on the full collection if there's a good deal.

chamomileshark
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chamomileshark » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:33 am

I've not gone into the details but I have Obscurium which also hosts other VSTs but it was really patchy, I don't think at the time it was a VST2/3 thing, I seem to remember them saying it will work with some plugins but not others. Hopefully this thing is more reliable.
Key Gear: Wiard 300 Series, EMS VCS3, Frac Modular (Blacet, Wiard, Bananalogue & Synthesis Technology).

Pastoral Music: Mark Ellery Griffiths
Music: https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Experimental: Mark Dalton Griffiths
Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Return to “Music Software”