Software that reads audio and breaks it into multiple files by section

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

wrngtrls
Common Wiggler

Software that reads audio and breaks it into multiple files by section

Post by wrngtrls » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:36 am

Hey,

I generally avoid software, but is there an audio tool/hack out there that can read for breaks in an audio track and create a bunch of .wav files for each segment or section? Like an auto-sampling tool?

I want to do some creative sampling and do not want to sit in front of a screen snipping at stuff all day.

Thanks!

ihav2p
Common Wiggler

Re: Software that reads audio and breaks it into multiple files by section

Post by ihav2p » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:45 am

They are actually called auto-samplers! Here are a few:

dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Post by dkcg » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:31 pm

I haven't used it in years, but Recycle chops up loops into one hits or phrases, user defined too.
Also Ableton you can slice.

I just got samplit but haven't used it to do anything but straight up autosampling, I loved Redmatica Autosampler, which is a part of Apple Logic now. Redmatica was better than samplit is now.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:33 pm

Any DAW can achieve this.

scozbor
100th Member!

Post by scozbor » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:33 pm

I used to use (like 10yrs ago) a little free windows app which would scan wav files in a folder and split them into a user defined number of new files. I seem to remember it had some other params which would randomise the file choice and number of slices for each file. It would leave a complete mess of hundreds of new wav files in the chosen directory!

I wish I could remember what it was called...

Chopper
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:44 pm

Sorry but none of the options given here actually do automatically what the OP asked ...
To be honest, the computer cannot for sure recognise what is a chorus from a verse, and so on. The options people gave you are about the software seeing the transients, but that's about it. Good if you want to get the different elements of say a breakbeat, but that's about it....

ihav2p
Common Wiggler

Post by ihav2p » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:45 am

Chopper wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:44 pm
Sorry but none of the options given here actually do automatically what the OP asked ...
To be honest, the computer cannot for sure recognise what is a chorus from a verse, and so on. The options people gave you are about the software seeing the transients, but that's about it. Good if you want to get the different elements of say a breakbeat, but that's about it....
As I understand it he didn't ask for something that could find breaks as in breakbeat sections in tracks but breaks as in silences between segments of recorded audio. Most if not all autosamplers can do the latter. Usually there is a setting to tell the autosampler how long the silence has to be before slicing it.

efluon
Common Wiggler

Post by efluon » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:46 am

cackland wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:33 pm
Any DAW can achieve this.
It is called something like „remove silence“ in Studio One and Cubase

mark.sargison
Common Wiggler

Post by mark.sargison » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:20 pm

Logic will do this (as will all DAWs as someone else has put). EXS can turn everything into sections to make it playable too.

What are you looking to do exactly?

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:22 pm

Lots of CD mastering software has this feature built in
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

wrngtrls
Common Wiggler

Post by wrngtrls » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:25 pm

scozbor wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:33 pm
I used to use (like 10yrs ago) a little free windows app which would scan wav files in a folder and split them into a user defined number of new files. I seem to remember it had some other params which would randomise the file choice and number of slices for each file. It would leave a complete mess of hundreds of new wav files in the chosen directory!

I wish I could remember what it was called...
This is what I want!

wrngtrls
Common Wiggler

Post by wrngtrls » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:28 pm

ihav2p wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:45 am
Chopper wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:44 pm
As I understand it he didn't ask for something that could find breaks as in breakbeat sections in tracks but breaks as in silences between segments of recorded audio. Most if not all autosamplers can do the latter. Usually there is a setting to tell the autosampler how long the silence has to be before slicing it.
Yes - I'm looking for software that just splices automatically based on raw audio breaks. 150 bucks seems high.

wrngtrls
Common Wiggler

Post by wrngtrls » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:33 pm

mark.sargison wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:20 pm
Logic will do this (as will all DAWs as someone else has put). EXS can turn everything into sections to make it playable too.

Here's what I want:

Open file in said program, program does its thing, and now I have a folder of hundreds of .wav samples from that original file.

[The splices are organized according to silence breaks (or some variable frequency threshold, but I'm making up advanced features now)]

My DAW can do this?

wrngtrls
Common Wiggler

Post by wrngtrls » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:04 pm

Found this: https://madskjeldgaard.dk/posts/sox-tut ... y-silence/

What the hell is Libsoxr? Can somebody smarter than me tell me if this is easy or not? I don't think my Mac like this route at all.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:08 pm

wrngtrls wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:33 pm
mark.sargison wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:20 pm

Here's what I want:

Open file in said program, program does its thing, and now I have a folder of hundreds of .wav samples from that original file.

[The splices are organized according to silence breaks (or some variable frequency threshold, but I'm making up advanced features now)]

My DAW can do this?
Max for live can do this but you need to know how to program it. Max/msp can also do it but that is without the live API so it will be a little different how you program it.

BlinkyLights
Ultra Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:08 pm

Treat the speech like a beat, then using a feature that detects the transients and splices it up, do it like that...

Rebirth was great at this.
"Slice to Multisample" in Bitwig is another.
It has many names but it's all basically the same thing.

wrngtrls
Common Wiggler

Post by wrngtrls » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:16 pm

So, if a DAW breaks it up, but then leaves the files in the daw (where in I have to individually export all of these samples), this is sort of not the work flow I want. I've been interested in Bitwig for a while, so I will research more - thanks!

To reiterate, I want the splices as files, not as segments stuck in a DAW project.

BlinkyLights
Ultra Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:51 pm

wrngtrls wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:16 pm
So, if a DAW breaks it up, but then leaves the files in the daw (where in I have to individually export all of these samples), this is sort of not the work flow I want. I've been interested in Bitwig for a while, so I will research more - thanks!

To reiterate, I want the splices as files, not as segments stuck in a DAW project.
Sound Forge, or most any DAW, really - loads of tools do this, just not as lean as you'd like. You can wish for a certain workflow all you like, but the tools are there now, maybe 2-3 steps away in general, as each tool / DAW has various ways to export these to different files.

Nohing you're asking for is unusual except maybe the desire to make it do most of the steps for you, and I'm nit criticizing the desire, just saying it's almost that easy now. Software 20yrs ago could spit out regions / selections / etc as separate files.

wuff_miggler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:54 pm

Reaper can cut breaks.
It automatically recogizes transients. and will spit out files for you - or make a rex file, or any config of stuff you might want or need. you can set an autonaming scheme etc.

FL Studio Slicex can also auto chop breaks and throw them on a piano roll as well. If the volume between hits is different enough it does a pretty slick job - but usually refining the auto slicing is always necessary ime.

ATW
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ATW » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:54 pm

I use Twisted Wave (Mac os) for this. It will auto-detect silences, then allows you to auto delete them and place markers at each deletion point. Then each marker segment can be exported to individual waves in one move using the batch processor.

https://twistedwave.com/doc/index
ᴍᴏᴅᴜʟᴀʀ ɢʀɪᴅ ⟡ 9U 168 + Palette + Pod ⟡ ᴍᴜsɪᴄ ATW on SoundCloud

mark.sargison
Common Wiggler

Post by mark.sargison » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:31 am

wrngtrls wrote:

Do you need the process to edit and export at the same time, or are you happy to have the two parts done separately?

wrngtrls
Common Wiggler

Post by wrngtrls » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:04 pm

ATW wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:54 pm
I use Twisted Wave (Mac os) for this. It will auto-detect silences, then allows you to auto delete them and place markers at each deletion point. Then each marker segment can be exported to individual waves in one move using the batch processor.

https://twistedwave.com/doc/index
Okay - Twisted Wave captures the audio as sections really easily - I didn't have to do additional processing. Now how do I export the multiple selections as .wav files in one go?

Thanks!

wrngtrls
Common Wiggler

Post by wrngtrls » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:13 pm

Oh - got it - Split by marker! Very cool - this works great!

ATW
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ATW » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:16 pm

wrngtrls wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:13 pm
Oh - got it - Split by marker! Very cool - this works great!
Glad to hear it. This is my favorite sample editor, worth every penny. I'll often use the batch processor to format a folder of samples for various Wav player modules and drum machines, like the Digitakt, Disting / TipTop One / Sample Drum, etc.

Recycle style sample loopers will recognize marker points, as well—ideal for transient-ing breakbeats for Sample Drum, among others.

Cheers
ᴍᴏᴅᴜʟᴀʀ ɢʀɪᴅ ⟡ 9U 168 + Palette + Pod ⟡ ᴍᴜsɪᴄ ATW on SoundCloud

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:34 pm

wrngtrls wrote:

Live will create WAV files then drop them in a folder automatically. You don't need to save or export anything. But if you did want to export WAV files, live can batch export.

Return to “Music Software”