Sonic Potions LXR Drum Synthesizer

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

bengarland
Common Wiggler

Re: Sonic Potions LXR Drum Synthesizer

Post by bengarland »

Did you follow the instructions in the manual? I think you have to set the BPM to zero for it to work with external clock.
Oortone
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Oortone »

Happy owner of a LXR this week!
Didn't build it myself though...

Anyway. I found that user samples have a random behavior regarding looping.
Some samples will loop (full sample length) and others not. I've tried to find an editor where I can set this but no luck so far.
I'm on Mac and tried:

- DSP Quattro: Files won't even be read by LXR, it get's stuck reading.
- WaveEditor (AudioFIle engineering, old program): There's a OneShot option, but regardless of how I set it samples edited in WaveEditor will loop.
- Audacity: Any file edited in Audacity will loop.

Also tried a hardware sampler: Akai MPC1000. There are no loop points shown but any sample edited in MPC1000 will loop.

The samples I tried are from an old sample cd (116 Drum Machines) and will not loop if left untouched.

Also had a look in two PC editors, both say "no loop", but sample loaded in LXR will loop anyway.
The built in cymbal sample will also loop.

Strange indeed...
Oortone
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Oortone »

After some more experimenting I believe default is looping whole file regardles of settings but if there's something wrong with the file or header it might not loop.

I can get loopless samples by truncating the end of a sample with a binary editor... :hihi:
Oortone
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Oortone »

So a bit sleepy in this thread, I guess LXR has fallen out of fashion... ;)

Anyway, in case someone reading knows...
I wanted to make sure about patterns which to me seems to be the most limited part of the machine.

Are these assumptions correct?
- Pattern max length is 16 steps
- Max simoltaneous patterns are 8
bengarland
Common Wiggler

Post by bengarland »

Don't forget there are also 8 sub-steps, so you can use those to create 64 step pattern, in theory. And each pattern can be set to any length to easily create polyrhythms. I don't have my LXR anymore so this is from memory. The online manual (wiki) explains everything in detail, though it does take some concentration and practice to really understand it:

http://wiki.sonic-potions.com/index.php ... ers_Manual
Oortone
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Oortone »

bengarland wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:45 am Don't forget there are also 8 sub-steps, so you can use those to create 64 step pattern, in theory. And each pattern can be set to any length to easily create polyrhythms. I don't have my LXR anymore so this is from memory. The online manual (wiki) explains everything in detail, though it does take some concentration and practice to really understand it:

Yes, that's true and a good idea.
I wonder if it's possible to change the time signature to half tempo so I could get 2 4/4 bars out of one pattern?

I really like two bar patterns.
bengarland
Common Wiggler

Post by bengarland »

Ooops I mean 128 not 64. But you get the idea :)
Donderdag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Donderdag »

Oortone wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:50 am
bengarland wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:45 am Don't forget there are also 8 sub-steps, so you can use those to create 64 step pattern, in theory. And each pattern can be set to any length to easily create polyrhythms. I don't have my LXR anymore so this is from memory. The online manual (wiki) explains everything in detail, though it does take some concentration and practice to really understand it:

Yes, that's true and a good idea.
I wonder if it's possible to change the time signature to half tempo so I could get 2 4/4 bars out of one pattern?

I really like two bar patterns.
Don't think you can do this with the stock firmware but definitely possible with Brandon Logic's firmware. You lose precision doing this I.e. two bars in one pattern will have only 4 sub steps instead of 8, etc. but you can even do this per voice which is nice if you want e.g. a four on the floor pattern most of the time with a small tweak every 2 or 4 bars.
Venetian Snares wrote:I wanted it to sound like a giant hovering boulder on fire
---------------------------
Seize the Carp
Stuff for sale
My Soundcloud
Icky Flix
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Icky Flix »

Hello,

I have been a satisfied owner of a Sonic Potions LXR for a couple years and I have been enjoying it a lot since.
I have been using it as a standalone Drum Synth or sequencing it using my BeatStep Pro.

I found a second hand 60Knobs and jumped on the occasion as it looked like the perfect pair.
Unfortunately I have not been able to make it work properly since I bought it.

I will try to summarize the issue I am facing and the different troubleshooting & tests I performed.
Issue :
The midi connectivity between the 60 Knobs and the LXR seems to be working as I am able to tweak some parameters of the LXR.
But whatever the MIDI Channel or the preset I am using, the LXR is acting the same : only a few buttons/parameters are working and they are not acting on the right LXR parameters.
For example the 1st volume button is acting on a different parameters and the others volume are doing nothing.

What I did :
At first I thought the issue was on the 60 Knobs side.
I contacted the Bastl support and talked with Stephano who was very helpful.
- I made sure I was using the latest version of the software editor and uploaded the default preset (on every preset slots available), making sure the NRPN is not checked.
- I made sure I performed the FIRST RUN properly.
- I checked the MIDI messages sent by the 60knobs using PocketMIDI on my PC. All messages looked good to me and acting as expected.

After checking all that without any success, I started to suspect an issue with the LXR.
- I connected my PC to the MIDI output of the LXR to check the messages received while connected to the 60 Knobs. I could see the messages going through, but the LXR still not doing what is expected.
For example none of the volumes buttons for voices 2 to 7 are working. Same for the LFO parameters, none of them are working even if I can see some messages passing.
- I checked I was using the 0.37 brendan clarke firmware.

In the end, I am still stucked. I know some users experienced some issues with MIDI with different devices but I was not expecting that with the 60Knobs. I don't know if the issue is on the hardware or software related.

I hope my explanations were not too confusing. If someone has any idea of what I may be missing or what I should check, it would be great.

Thank you in advance
SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist »

Icky Flix wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:17 am - I checked I was using the 0.37 brendan clarke firmware.
i was just about to post my FaderFox PC12 setup for the LXR and thought maybe i could help.
:)
one thing i ran into was to double check that i had setup each instrument to have it's own channel.
since the BC OS adds that feature.

i left the Global Ch on 1 and then i set the voice channels starting at 11 up to 16.

i'm not sure what 60 knobs is using but be sure to set each voice to their own MIDI channel.
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space
BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand »

Hmm, that reminds me that I built a 60knobs & didn't get it talking correctly - that was months ago & it has sat unloved ever since...
Not much help, I'm afraid, but very happy to hear if you find a solution!
MoyaMoya
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MoyaMoya »

Any 60 knobs alternatives, as DIY kits?
I'd love something in the same vein with encoders and nprn
Oortone
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Oortone »

Donderdag wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:41 pm Don't think you can do this with the stock firmware but definitely possible with Brandon Logic's firmware. You lose precision doing this I.e. two bars in one pattern will have only 4 sub steps instead of 8, etc. but you can even do this per voice which is nice if you want e.g. a four on the floor pattern most of the time with a small tweak every 2 or 4 bars.
What's Brandon Logic's Firmware?
I know of http://brendanclarke.com, is that the same?
Donderdag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Donderdag »

Oortone wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:55 pm
Donderdag wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:41 pm Don't think you can do this with the stock firmware but definitely possible with Brandon Logic's firmware. You lose precision doing this I.e. two bars in one pattern will have only 4 sub steps instead of 8, etc. but you can even do this per voice which is nice if you want e.g. a four on the floor pattern most of the time with a small tweak every 2 or 4 bars.
What's Brandon Logic's Firmware?
I know of http://brendanclarke.com, is that the same?
It's me having a brain fart :D
Venetian Snares wrote:I wanted it to sound like a giant hovering boulder on fire
---------------------------
Seize the Carp
Stuff for sale
My Soundcloud
jabberwalky
Common Wiggler

Post by jabberwalky »

The quickest way to check the 60knobs would be to send the midi to your pc with MidiOX.
https://www.youtube.com/c/FortressofSound/videos - NEW "The History of The Cat synthesizer | with exclusive creator interview | Performances | & slime!"
Icky Flix
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Icky Flix »

SPIKE the Percussionist wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:18 am
Icky Flix wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:17 am - I checked I was using the 0.37 brendan clarke firmware.
i was just about to post my FaderFox PC12 setup for the LXR and thought maybe i could help.
:)
one thing i ran into was to double check that i had setup each instrument to have it's own channel.
since the BC OS adds that feature.

i left the Global Ch on 1 and then i set the voice channels starting at 11 up to 16.

i'm not sure what 60 knobs is using but be sure to set each voice to their own MIDI channel.
Thanks, for your reply, I will check this.
Will update you when done.
jabs
Common Wiggler

Post by jabs »

Anyone have a decent replacement light pipe solution for the Erica Synths metal case? Lost 2 or 3 of those suckers over time. Not sure if the case changed since, mine is from 2014/2015.
Philthy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Philthy »

Folks - looks like there's been a re-stock on the SP website.
Flounderguts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts »

Are they shipping? Last I looked it said no shipments until further notice...
----------------------

Flounderguts
Philthy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Philthy »

Looks like it. I can add one to my cart - which I don't remember being able to do last time.

Also, the announcement on the home page says,

"Due to Corona things are a bit slower here, since our kids have no school and kindergarden at the moment. So please be patient for a while until things normalize. Stay healthy!"

I think there was a definite, "we not shipping...." before.
Flounderguts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts »

Yep. Just be sure you read the DHL shipping notice. It is from September, but firmly states that *all* USA bound shipments are going by sea freight. If you are in the east, that's probably 3-5 weeks. Closer to west coast, probably 6-8.

I think I'm going to wait...I have at least 4 projects plus the arrival of a theremin and a BARP clone to keep me going...even though this is high on my list!
----------------------

Flounderguts
OrionG
Learning to Wiggle

Post by OrionG »

Glad folks are still talking about the lxr. I ordered one 10 weeks ago and im still waiting. Been reading manuals and forums while i wait. I noticed the sonic potions forums are down. Any take aways from that forum i should be aware of besides the bc os?

http://brendanclarke.com/2016/02/15/lxr ... tutorials/

I have the manual http://wiki.sonic-potions.com/index.php ... ers_Manual
Also, this seems like an alternative to the 60 knobs joint, a template for the ipad midi designer app https://mididesigner.com/qa/2003?no_thumbs=true

Am i missing anything?
Philthy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Philthy »

Hi Folks,

Wondering if someone can confirm if the Bastl 60 knobs plays nicely with the latest firmware from Brandan Clarke (v0.37)?

Thanks in advance.
toneburst
Ultra Wiggler

Post by toneburst »

Hi All,

I have a spare original grey acrylic LXR case kit. In very good condition. Free to a good home (you pay shipping).

I'll throw in all the hardware, plus set of Rean (I think) soft-touch knobs with green pointers.

Send me a direct message if you're interested.
Prefer to ship to the UK or EU. Will consider sending further afield, but cost may be prohibitive.
Dibek
Common Wiggler

Post by Dibek »

As far as I know 60Knobs is supposed to work with the original firmware and so it leads to problems when used with Brendan‘s firmware.

Does anyone know where to order lightpipes for the erica metalcase, mine came without them.

Thanks!

Return to “General Gear”