Sonic Potions LXR Drum Synthesizer

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 »

got sick of waiting for bastl so I built the barcode controller:

http://www.baud-rate.com/blog/2017/01/3 ... -software/

[video][/video]
Last edited by Altitude909 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richie
Common Wiggler

Post by richie »

Altitude909 wrote:got sick of waiting for bastl so I built the barcode controller:

[video][/video]
wow want!
lumin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by lumin »

just wanted to add that i picked up one of these lxr's and its pretty damn awesome. was really looking for a drum machine that had euclidean capabilities and this checked that off but included so much more.
coming from an mpc background, i am still getting used to this type of workflow, but it's working out so far. fairly easy to comprehend with the stock OS, but installing the brendan clarke OS opened it up a bit more.
lots to explore. dope little unit.
Wieter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Wieter »

Just got answer from Bastl that the 60 knobs expander will come out as a diy very shortly!! :yay:
bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed »

This is such a great machine :) The only thing i'm not a fan of are the buttons, they feel really cheap and aren't very comfy to press down or to play on, feels like they're gonna get stuck at any moment (has never happened though).

Since i've never been able to get any replies on the Sonic Potions forum i thought i'd try here;

Has anyone figured out how the samples are sorted after uploading?

I have tried simple naming; s1-s10 for Snares, b1-b8 for bass drums etc etc.. it kind of sort them in order but not quite. For example my hihats are all sorted together and at the end (i named them x1-x10), where i want them, but the bass drums and snares are mixed.. It's almost like its looking at the waveforms and trying to do the sorting in an intelligent way (almost making it), but i doubt they'd went through the trouble of doing something that advanced. They are not sorted by date, not by name (not completely at least), and not by size and its also not completely random. For example one of my bassdrums will always be on spot 12, where i don't want it. I can rename the file, reinstall the firmware(removes all samples), and reupload, it will be on spot 12 again.

It's really fun to mess around with the LFO and then having it switch drum samples randomly. just wish i could sort them slightly better so i can get it under a bit better control (e.g just having snares coming in at random, now it mixes with some bass drums).

Edit: ok i have figured it out finally. it gets confused if names starts with e.g both b's and s's and other letters, then it wont sort it properly. i ended up naming them s0-s35, now it sorts them it seems.
coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg »

Where can we buy the barcode controller? I've been looking around and can't find anywhere to order the pcb
New video on Prophet 12 Drone Patches:
Prophet 12 Drone Patches
secrethero303
Common Wiggler

Post by secrethero303 »

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:Where can we buy the barcode controller? I've been looking around and can't find anywhere to order the pcb
Here is a link to his shop: http://www.barcodecircuits.net/shop/
verstaerker
Common Wiggler

Post by verstaerker »

someone is building that for me .. i'm thinking how to use those buttons below

any ideas?
coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Can someone explain pattern chaining to me, the manual makes it sound as if all you have to do is hold down the shift button in performance mode, and then I can select track to chain together, but when I do that all that happens is it moves to the next pattern. Any help would be appreciated, it really isn't useful for me unless I can chain patterns into a song.

Edit, ok, I was misunderstanding what was happening.

For posterity:

Pattern chaining doesn't work the same way that the varigate 8+ or the pocket operators do, where you punch the patterns in the order you want them to repeat, you have to select how many times you want each pattern you want to repeat, and which pattern you want it to go to once it has finished repeating. In a way that is easy, but it also means that you can't get to do things like A-B-A-C, as far as I can tell. Overall I really like the LXR, but this has been confusing to me since the beginning, so I'm glad I finally get it.
Last edited by coolshirtdotjpg on Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prophet 12 Drone Patches
coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

secrethero303 wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:Where can we buy the barcode controller? I've been looking around and can't find anywhere to order the pcb
Here is a link to his shop: http://www.barcodecircuits.net/shop/
thank you!
Prophet 12 Drone Patches
coolie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by coolie »

very cool
fluffymuff
Common Wiggler

Post by fluffymuff »

Venjo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Venjo »

I gonna need to build a LXR now! Just waiting for a response from them since 1 Week :(

This beast is getting beastier now. Hell yeah!
Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 »

wish they would offer just a PCB/micro set, those little knobs are crap for something like this
ludotex
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ludotex »

fluffymuff wrote:60 knobs is finally out - http://noise.kitchen/product-category/bastl/sixtyknobs/ :banana: :banana: :banana:
Oohh that's very tempting...
---
Latest patchings and experiments: https://www.youtube.com/user/plutotex/videos
chess1
Common Wiggler

Post by chess1 »

I have a few questions about the 60 knob controller.

Could it be used as a general sysex controller to say control the params of a Tx81z (I am aware of the steropping conroller, but I believe that only has 16 knobs and :75:)

Also I could see this box being a wonderous host for a new improved zaquencer style sequencer that would hopefully allow for switching on the fly to modulation surface.

Now if only there were CV inputs!
bimbom
Common Wiggler

Post by bimbom »

chess1 wrote:I have a few questions about the 60 knob controller.

Could it be used as a general sysex controller to say control the params of a Tx81z (I am aware of the steropping conroller, but I believe that only has 16 knobs and :75:)

Also I could see this box being a wonderous host for a new improved zaquencer style sequencer that would hopefully allow for switching on the fly to modulation surface.

Now if only there were CV inputs!
according the their website
"Also it can handle some more tricky and less common control protocols such as NRPN or SysEx."

and from what i see its a midi controller , the bcr / zaquencer has a processor and runs the sequencer , its more than only a controller , the zaquencer is an entirely new firmware . although this may work as an additional controller of things going on within zaquencer...
gear : elektron stuff , nord stuff , roland stuff and little cheap boxes.
www.instagram.com/re5etuk
www.soundcloud.com/re5etuk
PeterRabbit
Common Wiggler

Post by PeterRabbit »

Hey guys,

What are the "Load/Save: Perform" and "Load/Save: All" settings on the LXR main menu?

I can't find either being discussed in the manual, what do these options allow?

All help would be great.
SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist »

PeterRabbit wrote:Hey guys,

What are the "Load/Save: Perform" and "Load/Save: All" settings on the LXR main menu?

I can't find either being discussed in the manual, what do these options allow?

All help would be great.
not sure on the PERFORM save.

the ALL save...saves the current kit and patterns, and any other system settings into a preset.
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space
mongrol
Common Wiggler

Post by mongrol »

Perform just saves your Performances, ie, your 8 patterns.
PeterRabbit
Common Wiggler

Post by PeterRabbit »

Thank You!
moonagedaydream
Common Wiggler

Post by moonagedaydream »

does anyone know if there are going to be future runs of the 60knobs or Barcode controller?
citizensmurf
Common Wiggler

Post by citizensmurf »

moonagedaydream wrote:does anyone know if there are going to be future runs of the 60knobs or Barcode controller?
I emailed Bastl recently and they said more 60knobs should be available in December.
Drilldoughzer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Drilldoughzer »

What’s the expander header in the middle of the pcb for?
CeeJay
Wiggling with Experience

Post by CeeJay »

The expander in the middle gives you access to the digital in/out shift registers for additional switches and leds.
And gives you access to 4 ADCs of the AVR to connect additional potentiometers.
But you have to modify the firmware to use them.

Return to “General Gear”