Animal Factory Amplification

New Hosted Sub-Forum. Check it out here:
Not exactly a new manufacturer but new to us. Check out their pedal and eurorack product and extend them a welcome all the way to Mumbai!

Sequentix Cirklon

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, Kent, Joe., luketeaford

beatcleaver
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Sequentix Cirklon

Post by beatcleaver »

esmeets wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:20 pm I have been on the waiting list since August 2020.
How long does it take on average before you are notified? (I expect it won't be my turn for a long time yet...).
They sending out units up to Dec 2017 on the list now.
chiasticon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by chiasticon »

beatcleaver wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:56 pm They sending out units up to Dec 2017 on the list now.
I want to say it’s been about six months for them to get through the final quarter of 2017, but I’d have to wade through a bunch of forum posts here and there to verify…
gentleclockdivider
Common Wiggler

Post by gentleclockdivider »

Anyone else has this on their cirklon 2
Go to pattern view and click and hold bar encoder , DO not release so you don't get a confirmation release click .
While holding it down , gently release the pressure on the encoder ( again do not release fully ) , now gently wiggle the encoder forth and back , it will switch between pages .
Either the encoders are too sensitive and it interprets the slightest amount depressure (without an actual release click ) as an actual click and release confirmation .
This happens with all encoders
You could also do it in scene view with the ROW or Value encoder
It doesn't happen when I hold the encoder firmly down
SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist »

need some help...

got a weird thing going on...
if i send out from the Cirklon for example E4...i get E2 on the MIDI output.
(currently using a MIDI monitor to view these results)

Force To Scale is not on and i can't find any XPOS settings that are not set to zero.
there are no Accumulator tracks active.

tested it with multiple tracks and two different MIDI ports.

even tracked the MIDI into Digital Performer and i'm still getting the same result of minus two octaves from whatever displays on the Cirklon.

any help will be GREATLY appreciated!
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space
Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen »

There are different understandings of how MIDI note numbers relate to octave designations. Cirklon calls MIDI note 0 C0 and thus MIDI note 60 C5. Others refer to MIDI note 60 as C3 and therefore call MIDI note 0 C-2.

Here is what Collin says about this topic:
http://forum.sequentix.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=310
SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Leverkusen wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:31 am There are different understandings of how MIDI note numbers relate to octave designations. Cirklon calls MIDI note 0 C0 and thus MIDI note 60 C5. Others refer to MIDI note 60 as C3 and therefore call MIDI note 0 C-2.

Here is what Collin says about this topic:
http://forum.sequentix.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=310
holy frack!

ok...THANK YOU for the clarification!
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

DOGGEBI
morgue city
Unified Space
gentleclockdivider
Common Wiggler

Post by gentleclockdivider »

Can anyone test the issue I posted , just push down encoder and slightly release pressure without actually releasing it ( wiggle the encoder with finger )
leterell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by leterell »

esmeets wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:20 pm I have been on the waiting list since August 2020.
How long does it take on average before you are notified? (I expect it won't be my turn for a long time yet...).

In the meantime, I am looking at the Midiphy MIDIbox sequencer V4. I notice that there are fairly few videos here, which surprises me. Do you have any experience with this sequencer?

https://www.midiphy.com/en/mbseq-v4-/
http://forum.sequentix.com/viewtopic.ph ... &start=880

Info on waiting times. Around 4 years until now, but people are hopeful the rate is picking up. Sequentix chimes in from time to time.

As to the other sequencer, seems like the first real contender to the cirklon I've seen. I see you found the thread. Also other interesting stuff. I wonder what a LoopA + MatriX could accomplish next to the cirklon!
looking for a STORAGE STRIP for my D0!
adnauseam
Ultra Wiggler

Post by adnauseam »

leterell wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:26 am

In the meantime, I am looking at the Midiphy MIDIbox sequencer V4. I notice that there are fairly few videos here, which surprises me. Do you have any experience with this sequencer?

https://www.midiphy.com/en/mbseq-v4-/
http://forum.sequentix.com/viewtopic.ph ... &start=880

Info on waiting times. Around 4 years until now, but people are hopeful the rate is picking up. Sequentix chimes in from time to time.
It's important to note that at the beginning of the pandemic they mentioned that production was ramping up .. however if anything the pandemic seemed to have changed nothing. I think on the forum from what I gathered that the waiting time is still almost 4 years.

Pretty sad because that means I've got almost two years to go still.
monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads »

adnauseam wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:30 pm It's important to note that at the beginning of the pandemic they mentioned that production was ramping up .. however if anything the pandemic seemed to have changed nothing. I think on the forum from what I gathered that the waiting time is still almost 4 years.

I believe that's an accurate forecast. I opted-in for the waiting list October 2018. Still waiting and anticipate my notification will come at the 4yr anniversary!
leterell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by leterell »

monads wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:17 pm
adnauseam wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:30 pm It's important to note that at the beginning of the pandemic they mentioned that production was ramping up .. however if anything the pandemic seemed to have changed nothing. I think on the forum from what I gathered that the waiting time is still almost 4 years.

I believe that's an accurate forecast. I opted-in for the waiting list October 2018. Still waiting and anticipate my notification will come at the 4yr anniversary!
Yeah, i get the feeling that as production has slowly been increasing, interest has also risen and prob they have many more orders than 4 years ago. For me it was 4 years almost to the day. One might also try to take into account what kind of delay the development of v2 has caused during these years.
looking for a STORAGE STRIP for my D0!
Ivan Sokol
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ivan Sokol »

Hey! I have had Cirklon v2 since about a week and have 2 questions that I can't seem to figure out.

1) Is it possible to tap a rhythm on a track live and record it without an external keyboard? For example lets say I have drums on Tracks 1-8 and just want to quickly make a beat without going in and programming each track. Seems like it should be there, but I have no idea how to do this. Just like you would record your rhythms on an MPC for example by just recording the tap pattern on the pads. I believe 909 also has a button to tap in a rhythm for a track live and record it without having to enter steps manually in the pattern.

2) I am a bit confused by the way ratcheting works, at the moment it seems that if I want to have different ratchet amount (repeats inside the step) I have to set up different auxes for rep*2, rep*3, rep*4 and so on. This quickly eats up auxes and just complicates the workflow. Is there a way to just setup one aux to be a variable ratchet amount per step? So I can just set 5 ratchets on step 2 and 2 ratchets on step 8? Just like you can do with step repeats but for ratchets.

Thank you for the help!
skkatter
Veteran Wiggler

Post by skkatter »

1) Check the CK Tap Entry section of the manual, page: 12-3. Only works with a CK pattern.

2) As well as the rep*2, rep*3 and rep*4 events there is also a "rep*n by length" aux event which would work for your example.
marugenji
Common Wiggler

Post by marugenji »

I was thinking about putting in a preorder for a cirklon, but I was wondering if there were any unbiased video reviews that discuss it's pros and cons. There is not much on youtube about it aside from a few tutorials of different features. And the cirklon forums are just fanboys (as could be expected I guess).

So is it true that if a company doesn't send free units to youtube influencers it literally does not get demoed or "reviewed (*advertised)" by normal users?

Is the holy grail really the best cup or is it just talked about so much because it is rare? Is there something else you rather drink out of?
Stice
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Stice »

It’s a really complex machine (if you want it to be). It would be pretty hard to do a meaningful review in a short video. Anyone putting in hours of work on a video is probably going to do so because they like it.

I think there’s lots of unbiased info available online, and that the ‘fanboy’ thing is overblown. It’s a great sequencer that can do many things. Some people like the way it works, some don’t, but you’ll be hard-pressed to find something much more powerful. Workflow is key with sequencers though. You won’t really know if you like it til you use it, but watch the tutorials, you’ll get a sense of the workflow.
Turn on. Plug in. Slew down.
Stice
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Stice »

BTW, I installed my CK2 upgrade kit today, main board and I/O. It was easy and went very smoothly. :tu:
Turn on. Plug in. Slew down.
marugenji
Common Wiggler

Post by marugenji »

Stice wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:45 am Workflow is key with sequencers though. You won’t really know if you like it til you use it
That could be a problem though since so few people get to use it. No one I know has one. But a cirklon rental business sounds nice lol.
Stice wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:45 am It’s a really complex machine (if you want it to be). It would be pretty hard to do a meaningful review in a short video.
This is actually why a review by an experienced user would be nice. Instead of reading 100s of pages of manual and watching hours of random videos an experienced user could distill down their favorite (and least favorite) parts. I don't care about every nit, just a general overview.

So I guess the answer might be a simple no, there are no online reviews of the cirklon. You have to spend $2k and wait 4 years to try it yourself :doh:.
Last edited by marugenji on Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
donato
Wiggling with Experience

Post by donato »

It doesn’t cost any money to get on the list. If you don’t like it, you can always sell it for a $1,000 or more profit.
SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Stice wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:47 am BTW, I installed my CK2 upgrade kit today, main board and I/O. It was easy and went very smoothly. :tu:
LUCKY!

curious...
they sent me a upgrade kit confirmation email 08/21.
how long did you wait?
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

DOGGEBI
morgue city
Unified Space
goldplate
Common Wiggler

Post by goldplate »

I don't find it is a complex machine, pretty much from day one.

There are cons, but a bit like the ones you find with Elektron gears. OK you don't like this and this, but man you have such a powerful tool for creating songs in your hand, why do you complain ? All in all I think people that doesn't like it pretty much only blame themselves or the alchemy.
Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen »

marugenji wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:57 am
Stice wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:45 am Workflow is key with sequencers though. You won’t really know if you like it til you use it
That could be a problem though since so few people get to use it. No one I know has one. But a cirklon rental business sounds nice lol.
Stice wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:45 am It’s a really complex machine (if you want it to be). It would be pretty hard to do a meaningful review in a short video.
This is actually why a review by an experienced user would be nice. Instead of reading 100s of pages of manual and watching hours of random videos an experienced user could distill down their favorite (and least favorite) parts. I don't care about every nit, just a general overview.

So I guess the answer might be a simple no, there are no online reviews of the cirklon. You have to spend $2k and wait 4 years to try it yourself :doh:. Kind of gives me the emperor's new clothes vibe.
To be honest, giving an overview/review for people who are complaining that they have to read the manual before they buy an expensive device and don't trust company forums because of "fanboys" does not sound like fun to me, being one of those fanboys who are not willing to realise the naked truth.

But to summarize my own experience, pretty much the only thing I am really missing are typical analog sequencing features like jumping to a specific step of a pattern or clocking a pattern from the output of another pattern or an external source. Also polymeter and polyriddims are not that easy to program and every now and then I am loosing work because the file saving system seems a bit akward to me and my brain. Probably because it is too well thought out and fits every need. Indeed the rising complexity of the OS due to the massive and quite diverse input from the forum worries me a bit. You don't need to use every feature but you still have to manoeuvre through them. At least there is an end in sight for those who have the mark 1 due to the limited working memory...
chiasticon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by chiasticon »

marugenji wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:57 am This is actually why a review by an experienced user would be nice. Instead of reading 100s of pages of manual and watching hours of random videos an experienced user could distill down their favorite (and least favorite) parts. I don't care about every nit, just a general overview.
I think if you look around a bit you'll find some YouTubers giving opinion or overviews. a few I found are below. they're not 100% review, but there's some spots in there worth watching, if you jump around a bit. I'm sure there's more on YT... but I get your point, it would be nice if there's a video of just "here's what I love about it, here's what I don't, here's how I have it setup, here's how I typically use it," etc..

for me, Steffi touches on one of the biggest draws to it: the familiarity of the interface and how it just feels natural, coming from TR or Elektron boxes. and then having everything hooked up to it at once and immediately usable from that interface by just scrolling through a list of instruments is just a huge workflow game-changer for me. top of the list of things I don't love are that there are some semi-hidden functions to it. like having to press Shift and another button/encoder to do something that has no label anywhere whatsoever. or functionality that is only accessible by pressing and then turning an encoder while it's depressed, and for which that encoder is not labeled for that functionality at all. things like that are frustrating if you don't use it for a bit and forget where they are, but it's certainly not like Cirklon is alone in the "hidden features" camp; for example, lots of Elektron gear has this same drawback, especially the Octatrack.

anyway, if these videos or conversations in this thread aren't enough, maybe start a "Cirklon Pros and Cons" thread and ask users to give their top three of each. might want to do that over at the Sequentix forum actually, since everyone there either owns one or is waiting for one.

marugenji
Common Wiggler

Post by marugenji »

chiasticon wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:42 am I think if you look around a bit you'll find some YouTubers giving opinion or overviews. a few I found are below. they're not 100% review, but there's some spots in there worth watching, if you jump around a bit. I'm sure there's more on YT... but I get your point, it would be nice if there's a video of just "here's what I love about it, here's what I don't, here's how I have it setup, here's how I typically use it," etc..

for me, Steffi touches on one of the biggest draws to it: the familiarity of the interface and how it just feels natural, coming from TR or Elektron boxes. and then having everything hooked up to it at once and immediately usable from that interface by just scrolling through a list of instruments is just a huge workflow game-changer for me. top of the list of things I don't love are that there are some semi-hidden functions to it. like having to press Shift and another button/encoder to do something that has no label anywhere whatsoever. or functionality that is only accessible by pressing and then turning an encoder while it's depressed, and for which that encoder is not labeled for that functionality at all. things like that are frustrating if you don't use it for a bit and forget where they are, but it's certainly not like Cirklon is alone in the "hidden features" camp; for example, lots of Elektron gear has this same drawback, especially the Octatrack.

anyway, if these videos or conversations in this thread aren't enough, maybe start a "Cirklon Pros and Cons" thread and ask users to give their top three of each. might want to do that over at the Sequentix forum actually, since everyone there either owns one or is waiting for one.
Thanks so much, I hadn't seen the steffi one, I will check it out!

I also appreciate your quick overview.

I actually have a motu midi timepiece av usb, so the benefit of having everything hooked up to it at once and immediately usable from that interface I already have covered with the motu. 8 midi ins and 8 midi outs that I can route and filter from the interface with a few encoder turns and button presses (and it was only $100 on reverb :-) ).
chiasticon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by chiasticon »

marugenji wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:56 am I actually have a motu midi timepiece av usb, so the benefit of having everything hooked up to it at once and immediately usable from that interface I already have covered with the motu. 8 midi ins and 8 midi outs that I can route and filter from the interface with a few encoder turns and button presses (and it was only $100 on reverb :-) ).
well what I meant by "immediately usable from that interface" was the *Cirklon* interface. meaning, I like using *it* and having all my gear hooked up and ready to go with it by just scrolling through a list of machines is incredible. you can do similar with a DAW and templates, of course. but DAW's don't use the Cirklon interface. for better and worse...
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

chiasticon wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:07 pm
marugenji wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:56 am I actually have a motu midi timepiece av usb, so the benefit of having everything hooked up to it at once and immediately usable from that interface I already have covered with the motu. 8 midi ins and 8 midi outs that I can route and filter from the interface with a few encoder turns and button presses (and it was only $100 on reverb :-) ).
well what I meant by "immediately usable from that interface" was the *Cirklon* interface. meaning, I like using *it* and having all my gear hooked up and ready to go with it by just scrolling through a list of machines is incredible. you can do similar with a DAW and templates, of course. but DAW's don't use the Cirklon interface. for better and worse...
yep I think Instrument Definition is one of the most powerful features. For example I have Instrument Defs for drum kits in Integra in CK mode. I can have all 75 rows for 75 hits for the hip hop kit for example. The big challenge there is coming up with 3-letter names for them. but it's easy to scroll up and down and listen to them.

Return to “General Gear”