Animal Factory Amplification

New Hosted Sub-Forum. Check it out here:
Not exactly a new manufacturer but new to us. Check out their pedal and eurorack product and extend them a welcome all the way to Mumbai!

Sequentix Cirklon

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, Kent, Joe., luketeaford

joskery
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Sequentix Cirklon

Post by joskery »

And, also, I'd like to point out that in my opinion, the Cirklon's #1 feature is the workflow and how easily you can get certain things done. For instance, the workscene-based flow of building a song. So it's complex at times, but it's also about simplicity.
chiasticon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by chiasticon »

joskery wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:19 am And, also, I'd like to point out that in my opinion, the Cirklon's #1 feature is the workflow and how easily you can get certain things done. For instance, the workscene-based flow of building a song. So it's complex at times, but it's also about simplicity.
I would agree with this. a lot of the beauty of the machine is the workflow. the workscene-based flow is a great feature. having instrument definitions all right there, ready to go, with all of my preferred settings recalled with each one, is another huge feature for me.

you don't have to get into all the deep sequencing options in order to really enjoy the machine. but I understand that this then brings the question of whether it's worth the price (and difficulty of getting one) if you're not utilizing it to its fullest...
RickKleffel
Veteran Wiggler

Post by RickKleffel »

Who says that using it in lazy-man mode (work scene into song) is not using it to its fullest??? Mine arrived Monday (after 3.75 years waiting), and if it does that alone, well, that's the fullest I need, moreover, that is quite a bit. I'm sure the bells & whistles are keen and all, but less sure they'll be helpful in my environment. I'll find out, I hope; for me, the attention-to-detail features become a lot more interesting and useful if I can bring the big picture quickly into focus. As for the wait, getting V2 out of the box is more than enough payoff for my saintly patience. So cheers to this thread and others like it, and the folks at Sequentix.
Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer »

I’m working on it!
I’ve verified that the screen had issues and was replaced, I just need to do a new battery and OS upgrade. 👍
monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads »

dubonaire wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:49 am As far as the upgrade kits go, all they are doing is making a list of people to notify when they are available in the shop. That's not a problem for me. I can understand why they didn't set up the same order list as for the Cirklon. The Cirklon is somewhat bespoke per customer and the buying process requires one on one interaction with Barbara. And the Cirklon list seems to consume some people's lives as though their survival depends on having one. Colin started a thread giving updates on upgrade kits which have been plagued by the same component supply problems the whole industry is experiencing, and Barbara kindly offered to keep a list of names for notification. The only reason people started screaming "please place me on the list!!!" like crying babies is because they never bothered to read the whole thread.
That's good to know as far as the notifications go! I wasn't aware, I also wasn't one of those crying babies requesting to be added :hihi:
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

monads wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:37 pm
dubonaire wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:49 am As far as the upgrade kits go, all they are doing is making a list of people to notify when they are available in the shop. That's not a problem for me. I can understand why they didn't set up the same order list as for the Cirklon. The Cirklon is somewhat bespoke per customer and the buying process requires one on one interaction with Barbara. And the Cirklon list seems to consume some people's lives as though their survival depends on having one. Colin started a thread giving updates on upgrade kits which have been plagued by the same component supply problems the whole industry is experiencing, and Barbara kindly offered to keep a list of names for notification. The only reason people started screaming "please place me on the list!!!" like crying babies is because they never bothered to read the whole thread.
That's good to know as far as the notifications go! I wasn't aware, I also wasn't one of those crying babies requesting to be added :hihi:
No I didn't think you were. :tu:
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

chiasticon wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:36 am
joskery wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:19 am And, also, I'd like to point out that in my opinion, the Cirklon's #1 feature is the workflow and how easily you can get certain things done. For instance, the workscene-based flow of building a song. So it's complex at times, but it's also about simplicity.
I would agree with this. a lot of the beauty of the machine is the workflow. the workscene-based flow is a great feature. having instrument definitions all right there, ready to go, with all of my preferred settings recalled with each one, is another huge feature for me.

you don't have to get into all the deep sequencing options in order to really enjoy the machine. but I understand that this then brings the question of whether it's worth the price (and difficulty of getting one) if you're not utilizing it to its fullest...
The thing is though, you can learn the deeper functions over time. There are not really that many to learn. What I've done is compose songs, and then I've gone back later to learn a deeper function by applying them in those songs to see what happens, and make new songs.

But for me the 5 midi ports and CVIO with rock solid timing were enough to justify the asking price alone.
induktor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by induktor »

dubonaire wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:56 pm
What I've done is compose songs, and then I've gone back later to learn a deeper function by applying them in those songs to see what happens, and make new songs.
That actually sounds like a really fun method to learn its advanced features. Thanks
Last edited by induktor on Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

induktor wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:51 pm
dubonaire wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:56 pm
What I've done is compose songs, and then I've gone back later to learn a deeper function by applying them in those songs to see what happens, and make new songs.
That actually sounds like a really fun method to learn it's advanced features. Thanks
yes it is. I think Colin wrote the manual with that in mind too.
skkatter
Veteran Wiggler

Post by skkatter »

dubonaire wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:49 am No one really needs the upgrade kit at the moment other than for the colour screen.
The upgrade also gives you the USB host port which is not on the CK1 but is on the CK2. This lets you connect things like the Midiface 16×16 (https://miditech.de/en/portfolio/midiface-16x16/) which gives you an extra 16 DIN midi ports in and out and is a nice addition to the original 5 on the Cirklon itself if you happen to have lots of synths.
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

skkatter wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:05 am
dubonaire wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:49 am No one really needs the upgrade kit at the moment other than for the colour screen.
The upgrade also gives you the USB host port which is not on the CK1 but is on the CK2. This lets you connect things like the Midiface 16×16 (https://miditech.de/en/portfolio/midiface-16x16/) which gives you an extra 16 DIN midi ports in and out and is a nice addition to the original 5 on the Cirklon itself if you happen to have lots of synths.
That's true. But I doubt that's the primary reason everyone wants an upgrade.
Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis »

dubonaire wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:42 pm
I think the USB host port will be nice. I assume you'll be able to attach a Keystep or something similar and directly play stuff in, which will be nice for a portable setup. Ha several reasons for me honestly.
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

Sinamsis wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:36 pm
I think the USB host port will be nice. I assume you'll be able to attach a Keystep or something similar and directly play stuff in, which will be nice for a portable setup. Ha several reasons for me honestly.
Sure me too, but my point was no one needs it.
Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis »

dubonaire wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:26 pm
Sinamsis wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:36 pm
Sure me too, but my point was no one needs it.

Ha dude, I've been saying I'm going to email them about getting on the list or whatever the f they're doing since this has been announced... and I still haven't bothered. It's fine the way it is. I need to replace the pot for the A knob, and I keep saying I'll do it when I upgrade it. These are nice little upgrades, but come at a cost and will take a little time to install, which makes me more than happy to wait a bit haha.
chiasticon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by chiasticon »

RickKleffel wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:53 pm Who says that using it in lazy-man mode (work scene into song) is not using it to its fullest??? Mine arrived Monday (after 3.75 years waiting), and if it does that alone, well, that's the fullest I need, moreover, that is quite a bit. I'm sure the bells & whistles are keen and all, but less sure they'll be helpful in my environment.
agreed! for me, the basic functionality I learned within the first week is enough to justify keeping the machine. I'm just saying some would disagree. which is fine. it doesn't affect me enjoying it!

dubonaire wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:56 pm The thing is though, you can learn the deeper functions over time. There are not really that many to learn. What I've done is compose songs, and then I've gone back later to learn a deeper function by applying them in those songs to see what happens, and make new songs.

But for me the 5 midi ports and CVIO with rock solid timing were enough to justify the asking price alone.
agreed on all points. and this is indeed a great way to learn the machine. my trouble is whenever I learn something new by following Colin's tutorials in the manual, I'll just take off into playing and writing with it instead of then moving onto the next one! I guess that's a good thing though...
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

chiasticon wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:57 am
RickKleffel wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:53 pm Who says that using it in lazy-man mode (work scene into song) is not using it to its fullest??? Mine arrived Monday (after 3.75 years waiting), and if it does that alone, well, that's the fullest I need, moreover, that is quite a bit. I'm sure the bells & whistles are keen and all, but less sure they'll be helpful in my environment.
agreed! for me, the basic functionality I learned within the first week is enough to justify keeping the machine. I'm just saying some would disagree. which is fine. it doesn't affect me enjoying it!

dubonaire wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:56 pm The thing is though, you can learn the deeper functions over time. There are not really that many to learn. What I've done is compose songs, and then I've gone back later to learn a deeper function by applying them in those songs to see what happens, and make new songs.

agreed on all points. and this is indeed a great way to learn the machine. my trouble is whenever I learn something new by following Colin's tutorials in the manual, I'll just take off into playing and writing with it instead of then moving onto the next one! I guess that's a good thing though...
Yep I've never felt the need for completely mastery over my studio gear asap. I'm happy to develop that over time while using the things to make music. I don't think there is one right way, and I'm impressed at the people who dive in deep early but I sense they spend a lot more time in the studio than I do.
Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis »

dubonaire wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:10 pm
chiasticon wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:57 am

Yep I've never felt the need for completely mastery over my studio gear asap. I'm happy to develop that over time while using the things to make music. I don't think there is one right way, and I'm impressed at the people who dive in deep early but I sense they spend a lot more time in the studio than I do.
Truer words have never been said.
mixxalot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mixxalot »

I was on the wait list for a Cirklon for 3 years and when they contacted me, I already had a bunch of complex sequencers and clocks to sync my gear. So really do not see getting one right now. If I add a few more hardware synths then yes would be central brain. But paying 3k for a sequencer these days is tough to swallow when most of my gear is modular.
SingIt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SingIt »

mixxalot wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:40 pm I was on the wait list for a Cirklon for 3 years and when they contacted me, I already had a bunch of complex sequencers and clocks to sync my gear. So really do not see getting one right now. If I add a few more hardware synths then yes would be central brain. But paying 3k for a sequencer these days is tough to swallow when most of my gear is modular.
Im there with you. My elektron and mpc sample and sequence so well that im not really sure ill be buying when my name is called.
Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis »

Several thoughts.... I don't think the Cirklon is $3k. Otherwise, I think sequencing inside and outside of the rack are two very different approaches and I think both have value. I like having both. That said I'm a sequencer junky, and have way more than I should. I also have an MPC and several Elektron boxes. I prefer the Cirklon to sequence external gear for the most part. That said the Octatrack and a modular is such a powerful combination to me haha. Namely that it is a sequencer, sampler, and mixer/effects processor all in one. But specifically for sequencing the Cirklon is much more powerful, even on a basic level.
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

It’s about $2k with CVIO. I use sequencers in the rack as well as Cirklon for different purposes, but I’m not sure, are there any other sequencers with so many steps that can give you 16 CV and 8 gate outs and 16 trigger plus 16 accent outs?
mixxalot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mixxalot »

Nerdseq and Eloquencer give you a lot of trigger and cv outs. Maybe not as many as Cirklon but you could buy these for less.
monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads »

Nerdseq w/expanders is super powerful with modular. But I'm also a sequencer junkie. Drum Mux & Breakout Modules for Cirklon are really nice though. It's all about options ;)

Don't think one device covers everything. There's gonna be some tradeoffs here and there and best to figure out a good combination between manufactures/devices.
Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer »

I managed to get four scenes with a couple tracks in each onto my machine, and managed to get the DiN port going and synched to my Trigger Riot. (I patched up a cool trick for start and stop)
But I find the Cirklon sooooo confusing 🙀
Maybe I’m an idiot but I’ve really struggled to understand the workflow, I don’t quite get the song, scene, and track pages.
Pattern makes sense as the place to sequence actual patterns, but I couldn’t figure out how to do a pattern longer than 16 steps, finally found the ‘bars page’
But I did discover a page that lets you view a list of scenes and call them up by pressing encoder buttons, that’s really cool, makes it playable, I with you could voltage control it somehow.
I’ll keep working on it, I need to decide if I’m going to add the CVIO
gminorcoles
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gminorcoles »

mine just sold on reverb so now I can go back to waiting for a cirklon on the waiting list. maybe by 2025 they will have reworked the OS to be more in line with my preferences

Return to “General Gear”